Behind the closed curtains, are we all racists?

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 12:36 pm
Wham Bham thank you Obam-a

Well that was interesting while it lasted, the idea that America might have a non-white president.

How quaint. Reminds me of when Ghandi was asked what he thought of British civilization to which he replied 'it would be a good idea'.......meaning it didnt exist in reality.

The whole Obama thing has remind of a Chris Rock line, 'when asked white people, if they would vote for a black president they say yes, not because they would but because ITS SEEMS LIKE THE RIGHT THING TO SAY.'

Infact Chris Rock has been 'prophetic' before with OJ but this has to be the most accurate he has been.

Obama described Chris Rock as one of the most politically astute guys around.

So if we are asked by a pollster wether we would vote for a black guy??

Sure!!!!

But when the curtain closes...............no chance!!!!!!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 838 • Replies: 15
No top replies

TTH

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 12:44 pm
I grew up in a small town. There were white kids, black, asian, indian and so on. None of us as kids cared about color of skin. We ALL played together. I learned racism from the media after I got older. That is where I learned about it.

Edit: to add this....the "media" consisted of adults.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 12:47 pm
Obama won Iowa and lost by only 2% in New Hampshire.

We will have to see how he does in the states that have fewer non-white voters.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 01:04 pm
Just found this, which is interesting:

Quote:
The exit poll data does not suggest that Clinton won on a last-minute wave. Yes, she narrowly won those who decided on the day - 39 - 36. But Obama won every other period in the last month. Clinton's biggest margin was among those who had made up their minds more than a month ago - by 48 - 31. This was a victory based on the old party machine, the core partisan Democrats, and the Clinton loyalists. She takes the Democrats back to a bunkered partisan posture. It would be a disaster for them up against McCain in November.

Sullivan again:

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/01/the-last-minute.html

(I know I'm citing him a lot -- when I was in omnivorous mode after Iowa [data data data!] I kept coming across stuff from him when I Googled, and now I'm just periodically refreshing his blog as I go about my day. Lots of interesting stuff.)
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 02:45 pm
sozobe wrote:
Just found this, which is interesting:

Quote:
The exit poll data does not suggest that Clinton won on a last-minute wave. Yes, she narrowly won those who decided on the day - 39 - 36. But Obama won every other period in the last month. Clinton's biggest margin was among those who had made up their minds more than a month ago - by 48 - 31. This was a victory based on the old party machine, the core partisan Democrats, and the Clinton loyalists. She takes the Democrats back to a bunkered partisan posture. It would be a disaster for them up against McCain in November.

Sullivan again:

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/01/the-last-minute.html

(I know I'm citing him a lot -- when I was in omnivorous mode after Iowa [data data data!] I kept coming across stuff from him when I Googled, and now I'm just periodically refreshing his blog as I go about my day. Lots of interesting stuff.)

What did Sullivan have to say yesterday before the NH vote was finalized?

Since Hillary only won by 2%; I think it is not really accurate to blame racisim.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 02:52 pm
revel wrote:
Since Hillary only won by 2%; I think it is not really accurate to blame racisim.

I think the point is that people will lie to pollsters because they want to seem socially progressive. That may have been doubly true after Iowa. This link has several links on the "Bradley Effect." This one was particularly thought provoking.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 03:27 pm
Attention Blatham... meet Stevewonder. It' his turn
to describe what America isn't ready for. Fortunately,
the evidence disagrees with both of you.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/7176/hillbamapn2.jpg
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 03:27 pm
You could be right; but I don't think it was racisim which turned things around in favor of Hillary as much as all the media bashing of Hillary yesterday. I don't think it was a vote against Obama; but a vote for Hillary to spite the media. Like when the whole monica thing was going on and the media just couldn't say enough about it; Clinton's approval ratings soared.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 03:50 pm
revel wrote:
You could be right; but I don't think it was racisim which turned things around in favor of Hillary as much as all the media bashing of Hillary yesterday. I don't think it was a vote against Obama; but a vote for Hillary to spite the media. Like when the whole monica thing was going on and the media just couldn't say enough about it; Clinton's approval ratings soared.

I agree with this... but I will go a bit further (do I ever hold back?).

Being a man hurt Obama in NH more than being black did.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 03:55 pm
Yes, in one form or another we are all racists. (that is to say we all have some form of bigotry within ourselves)
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 05:21 pm
Anyone think whites in the South will vote for Obama in greater proportion than the New England liberals did?

Pollster to New England liberal: You gonna vote for the black man?

New England liberal to Pollster: Yea I'm gonna vote for the black man.

New England liberal, under his breath: When Hell freezes over.

Also, did anyone have déjà vu last night? The press was reporting on exit polls that said one thing when the actual vote count always said the opposite. Sounds like Florida in 2000.

Not that it matters, but for the record: I am white and I voted for Allan Keyes in the 1996 Florida GOP presidential primary because he was the candidate that was saying the things that needed to be said.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 05:25 pm
If you look at the exit polling... this is far from what happened.

We liberals are showing strong support (by a big margin) for Obama, Edwards and Kucinich.

Hillary is getting her support from moderates and establishment Democrats.

Who do you think are the real liberals on A2K? Go ahead, ask us who we are supporting (hint: it isn't Clinton).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 05:33 pm
I voted in the primaries for Jesse Jackson, once upon a time. This time around I am going with Clinton. Race and gender have nothing to do with it for me, at least.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 05:35 pm
Geez Edgar.... you have to show me up like that?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 05:41 pm
I votes the way I chooses, not being swayed by others' opinions.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 05:47 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
revel wrote:

I agree with this... but I will go a bit further (do I ever hold back?).

Being a man hurt Obama in NH more than being black did.

That's an interesting thought. White women are the largest voting block in the US.
0 Replies