Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 01:17 pm
A few weeks ago I stumbled across some Kraft Mesquite Marinade. It suggests you marinate your item for half an hour. I marinated some steaks overnight and then cooked them on the grill. Hubby cannot get enough of them now!

I use the marinade in my meatloaf sauce too with some ketchup and a bit of mustard. He thinks I make the world's greatest meatloaf now! I have started keeping at least three bottles of this stuff on hand. It is awesome on chicken, vegetables, everything!

Has anyone else tried it? They also have a Mesquite BBQ sauce but I haven't tried that yet.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,559 • Replies: 20
No top replies

TTH

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 09:10 pm
I use Lawry's mesquite with lime juice to marinade beef tenderloin. It may sound strange but, it is really good. I have gotten a lot of compliments when I make it. I haven't tried the marinade on anything else though.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 09:51 pm
Anything with that brand is bound to be synthetically generated from petroleum and offal laced with sugar and salt.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 09:57 pm
Which one? I still love the taste. Best marinade I have ever had. That means I am hooked.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 10:01 pm
Shocked That would just be about my luck! I find the perfect marinade and it's gonna kill me? Laughing
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 10:10 pm
Might as well go being stuffed and happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 10:14 pm
I'm with you TTH! That's how good I think this marinade is. Besides it makes hubby very happy!
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 10:15 pm
Mine too when I see him Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 10:18 pm
One of my questions with products like that is can I pronounce all of the ingredients, and do I know what they are.

I made a marinade mostly from scratch tonight - lemon and lime juices, olive oil, light soy sauce, mustards, and some left-over bottled salad dressings (poppy seed etc) - it worked out very well.

The downside is that I'll never be able to replicate it.

Definitely pros and cons to using commercially prepared marinades.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 10:21 pm
worcesterschire, olive oil, garlic, various spices....(salad dressing is good)

no salt.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 10:37 pm
I used to hae a great recipe for a meat marinade. I had gotten a book from the library and it had about 15 ingredients in it. Wish I could find it again.

I love a good marinade whether it's homemade or from a bottle.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:33 am
equal parts soy sauce, sweet rice wine (marin), and rice wine vinegar along with minced garlic and/or fresh ginger root and a small splash of sesame oil. Make a separate small batch with some cornstarch added and stirred in (before the oil) at the end of cooking to use as a sauce/thickening agent.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:37 am
That sounds really good JPB. I'm going ot have to try that one!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:40 am
dadpad
Quote:
Anything with that brand is bound to be synthetically generated from petroleum and offal laced with sugar and salt.

So the Aussies will love it.
We use a lot of Newmans Own salad dressings as marinades. We like the dried tomato, lime dressing, and almost any except the ones with mayo in them or the Caesers dressing.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:44 am
I never thought of using Newman's. I do like those dressings. Will have to try it.

You are Aussie? Can I ask a question? I have kind of an idea of what vegemite is but is beetroot from the actual red beets like we have here in the states?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 09:19 am
basic dressing/marinade --

equal parts apple cider vinegar, red wine vinegar and lemon juice (about 2Tbs each), 1 tsp dijon mustard, pinch salt, pepper, sugar, finely minced shallot or white part of green onion. Drizzle 3 parts olive oil (or peanut oil) to 1 part acids (above) while wisking. options -- can add dried or fresh herbs to taste (oregano or french tarragon both work well, just not at the same time).

Make a double batch and use half as a marinade for boneless chicken the use the other have to baste meat while grilling and set aside some to use on a side salad.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 01:18 pm
A very simple bottled marinade is simply Italian salad dressing. It produces a very tasty and tender meal out of an otherwise cheaper and tougher cut of meat.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 01:24 pm
don't forget to put a bunch of holes in your meat before you marinate. I have friends who freeze items marinated, or shall I say, freeze meat, drowning, in a bag.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 02:30 pm
Lawry's Sesame Ginger Marinade with mandarin juice is very, very good on pork.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 02:50 pm
This marinade has been our house favourite for years:

2/3 cup soy sace
1/3 cup honey
2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1/4 cup dry sherry
1/2 cup salad oil
1 clove (or more) minced or pressed garlic
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
0 Replies