Bush Admin - Indifferent to Rape

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 10:41 am
Should we really expect anything different from the right wing?

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/01/03/state-rice-kbr-rape/

Quote:

Bush Administration Misses Deadline To Respond To KBR Rape Questions

Last month, ABC News reported that a former Halliburton/KBR employee, Jamie Leigh Jones, had been gang-raped by her co-workers while working in Baghdad. She was then left by the company in a "shipping container for at least 24 hours without food or water."

Shortly after the news broke, Sen. Bill Nelson (D-FL) wrote to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice "requesting details on how many Americans in Iraq had reported being sexually assaulted or abused, how they were investigated, and if any had been recommended for prosecution." He gave the State Department a deadline of Dec. 21 to respond. Yet according to Nelson's office, the senator has not yet received any response:

"He has not received a reply, a spokesman confirmed. … Nor has Nelson received replies from Secretary of Defense Robert Gates or Attorney General Michael Mukasey, to whom he also wrote asking for information and assistance, according to the lawmaker's spokesman. […]

Asked about missing that deadline, a State Department spokesman told ABC News, "If the senator has asked questions, I'm quite sure we will provide answers. But it's not something I could discuss with you.""

Former Halliburton/KBR employees have described an atmosphere of "rampant sexual harassment." Rep. Ted Poe (R-TX) has also confirmed that his office has heard from multiple other women who were victims of sexual assault while working for KBR in Iraq.

The refusal of the Bush administration to respond to Nelson's request mirrors its foot-dragging on Jones's case over the past two years. Despite Poe's involvement in the case, the Justice Department has refused to bring criminal charges against anyone, and it appears that no "federal agency [is] investigating the case."

Last month, the Justice Department also refused to send a representative to answer questions on the case before the House Judiciary Committee. "This is an absolute disgrace," remarked chairman John Conyers (D-MI).

Many links if you follow the original.

Not an isolated incident amongst Republican defense contractors in Iraq. The second largest mercenary group in Iraq behind Blackwater, Dyncorp, had a sex-slave smuggling ring operating for a long time - nothing was done about it.

http://dir.salon.com/news/feature/2002/06/26/bosnia/index.html

Hard to square this with the lies Bush spouts about supporting women's rights.

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,352 • Replies: 29
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 11:22 am
The President of the US has other more important issues to deal with.

This isolated incident should be investigated for what it is, a criminal investigation headed by the local authorities.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 11:23 am
woiyo wrote:
The President of the US has other more important issues to deal with.

This isolated incident should be investigated for what it is, a criminal investigation headed by the local authorities.

What?

Which local authorities? In Iraq, the Federal gov't of the US is the local authority. And it isn't being investigated by them.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 11:25 am
This is NOT a Federal Crime. Get over it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 11:30 am
woiyo wrote:

Who should investigate it, then, Woiyo?

Are you indifferent to these rapes as well? It sure seems like that. If the girl who was raped was standing right in front of you, would you be so flip and just tell her to 'get over it?' I highly doubt it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 11:34 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Are you indifferent to these rapes as well? It sure seems like that. If the girl who was raped was standing right in front of you, would you be so flip and just tell her to 'get over it?' I highly doubt it.

Cycloptichorn

This should be investigated by the local authorities in Iraq and possibly the authorities in the Home State of the company involved.

As far as the rest of your rant, you have made bad assumptions before and you can add this one to your list.

Ask youself, do you really want the Bush Administration to investigate this or some other independant party?

Sometime you just make stupid comments. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 11:39 am
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Cycloptichorn

This should be investigated by the local authorities in Iraq and possibly the authorities in the Home State of the company involved.

As far as the rest of your rant, you have made bad assumptions before and you can add this one to your list.

Ask youself, do you really want the Bush Administration to investigate this or some other independant party?

Sometime you just make stupid comments. Rolling Eyes

Woiyo, you forget - we have actively barred the local authorities in Iraq from taking action against American contractors there. According to our Federal Gov't, Iraqi courts and police don't have the authority. State police don't have the resources to travel to Iraq to investigate and interview people. The things you propose are not possible - you might want to consider factors such as this before accusing others of making 'stupid comments.'

Why is it, you believe, that the AG should not delegate someone in the justice dep't. to look into this?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 03:10 pm
Jamie Jones is free to file criminal charges in her home State against the Govt, and/or individuals.

I do not want the Federal Govt investigating itself, regardless of who the President is.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 04:09 pm
woiyo wrote:
Jamie Jones is free to file criminal charges in her home State against the Govt, and/or individuals.

I do not want the Federal Govt investigating itself, regardless of who the President is.

First of all, contractors of the US are not members of the Federal gov't. If the DoJ looked into this case, the Federal Govt would not be investigating itself. So your fears are unfounded.

Second, can you tell me how a DA in Texas is going to be able to interview witnesses in Iraq? Collect evidence from KBR employees in Iraq who don't want to cooperate? View the scene of the crime and the container she was held in and look for evidence?

You need to be able to answer these questions in order to just say 'she should file charges in her home state.' You are essentially recommending actions which will lead to no investigation at all.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 06:58 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:

First of all, contractors of the US are not members of the Federal gov't. If the DoJ looked into this case, the Federal Govt would not be investigating itself. So your fears are unfounded.

Second, can you tell me how a DA in Texas is going to be able to interview witnesses in Iraq? Collect evidence from KBR employees in Iraq who don't want to cooperate? View the scene of the crime and the container she was held in and look for evidence?

You need to be able to answer these questions in order to just say 'she should file charges in her home state.' You are essentially recommending actions which will lead to no investigation at all.

Cycloptichorn

The DOJ is headed by the AG who works for you know who.

DA in Tx has supeona power.

She is the "crime scene".
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 08:08 am
Rolling Eyes woiyo; your arguments are weak and pathetic as well being sickening in the uncaring of a woman being gang raped by a company the state department is responsible for. The state department has already recommended the Justice Department prosecute the case; but so far they haven't done so. The state department must think the case belongs in the federal government or they wouldn't have recommended the case be prosecuted by the federal government.

EXCLUSIVE: No Prosecution for State Dept Official Accused of Sexual Assault

Quote:
Dec. 14, 2007
The Department of Justice declined to prosecute a State Department employee who allegedly sexually assaulted a female Halliburton/KBR worker in Iraq, despite a recommendation from the State Department that he be charged, according to an internal document obtained by ABC News.

Ali Mokhtare, who is still employed by the State Department, was investigated in 2005 after a female Halliburton/KBR employee said he sexually assaulted her at the company-run camp in Basra, Iraq. Mokhtare was a diplomatic official in Basra who first came to Iraq as a Farsi translator interviewing detainees.

The U.S. Diplomatic Security Service investigated the allegations against Mokhtare and presented the case to the Justice Department for prosecution, but "the case was declined for prosecution" states the document.

Furthermore, investigators requested that the State Department suspend Mokhtare's security clearance, but according to a handwritten note at the bottom of the document, that request was denied.

Neither the departments of State nor Justice would comment for this article.

Tracy Barker, Mokhtare's alleged victim, is a mother of five from Fort Bragg, N.C. She says she wants Mokhtare to be prosecuted for attempted rape and assault.

"I'm an American citizen being assaulted by a State Department employee," said Barker "and nobody cares and nothing's being done about it."

Barker's attorney, Stephanie Morris, said the lack of prosecution sends a message to overseas contractors that it is a "free for all."

You are not going to be prosecuted and you are not going to be disciplined by anybody," said Morris.

Barker said that even the State Department agent assigned to her case, Lynn Falanga, advised her to sue the U.S. government when Mokhtare was let off the hook.

"She called me and my husband from her own home and said that the State Department was covering it up and that I needed to get an attorney and that they were going to let him continue assaulting people," said Barker.

So your entire argument that this sad case is not in the federal purview is full of holes since they have been involved for already two years; they just haven't done anything about it.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 08:21 am
My exact point in not wanting the Feds to investigate themselves.

For 2 years this poor gal has had nothing done on her behalf by the Feds and YOU want the Feds to continue investigation?

Your point has been proven to be weak and pathetic and and done nothing to determine what exactly happened to this woman.

How about wising up to the reality that the Feds will NEVER EVER be relied upon to investigate themselves! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:41 am
woiyo wrote:
My exact point in not wanting the Feds to investigate themselves.

For 2 years this poor gal has had nothing done on her behalf by the Feds and YOU want the Feds to continue investigation?

Your point has been proven to be weak and pathetic and and done nothing to determine what exactly happened to this woman.

How about wising up to the reality that the Feds will NEVER EVER be relied upon to investigate themselves! Rolling Eyes

The Feds are the only ones who can investigate this matter because it is in another country with lots of related problems attached to it. Instead of throwing up your hands and letting them get away with not holding anybody to account; they should be pressured/shamed/embarrassed (which ever fits best) into actually prosecuting the case and bringing justice to the victim of this case. It's their job and place and responsiblity to do so.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 12:30 pm
If young women volunteer to go into such situations, presumably for enhanced salaries, couldn't they be said to have contributed to their own embarrassment.

Have any of you been in such a situation? It's no use "the folks back home" getting onto their soapbox about it.

It was reported that the pilot of a plane flying people back to America addressed his passengers thus -"Ladies! You are no longer good looking.".

Get real instead of slurping around reflexing on the word "rape".
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 12:34 pm
spendius wrote:
If young women volunteer to go into such situations, presumably for enhanced salaries, couldn't they be said to have contributed to their own embarrassment.

I guess that could be said about all rape cases then huh spendius?

"She shouldn't have been wearing revealing clothing."
"She shouldn't have been on a date with that guy."
"She shouldn't have been walking home."
"She shouldn't have had such large breasts."
"She shouldn't have blond hair."
"She shouldn't have...."
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 12:36 pm
What a jerk you can be, Spendi.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 12:39 pm
Getting on a soap box? For wanting to hold somebody to account for gang raping a woman? Also what maporsche said. I am kind of surprised people still hold to those sorts of views.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 12:44 pm
revel wrote:
I am kind of surprised people still hold to those sorts of views.

He, and his generation will be dead soon and the world will be a better place.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 02:14 pm
prosecutors have a great deal of discression about what cases to try or not.
They dont like to try cases they think they can lose.

A prosecutor declining to try a case is nothing new, it happens in the states all the time.
If after 2 years the Justice Dept hasnt prosecuted it could very well be that they dont think they can win the case.
There is no crime or conspiracy in that decision.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 02:49 pm
map wrote-

Quote:
I guess that could be said about all rape cases then huh spendius?

"She shouldn't have been wearing revealing clothing."
"She shouldn't have been on a date with that guy."
"She shouldn't have been walking home."
"She shouldn't have had such large breasts."
"She shouldn't have blond hair."
"She shouldn't have...."

You have over egged your pudding map. Do you not understand why I quoted that pilot?

A young woman in that milieux knows that all eyes are upon her. If she unbuttons a button or two and puts herself about unchaperoned in a semi-lawless setting and doesn't think she is risking that happening to her she should have been weeded out in the recruitment process for stupidity.

Judges here make allowance in sentencing rapists for the provocation the victim showed. And so do the cops in their investigations. It's nothing new. Trying going into court on a woman's allegations and defence lawyers keen to rip her testimony to shreds with your legal reputation at stake.

A Christian would never rape any woman.

To suggest I was justifying rape is ridiculous. I was merely explaining how Commanders-in-Chief take it as a part of the war situation and have more important things on their minds. That's what the thread is about not the "alleged" rape. It's in War and Peace. And Tolstoy was a Christian of sorts.

Like I said--get real. Enough of this cosy "folks back home" sanctimony.

She shouldn't have been there in the first place. Only complete idiots would put women in such situations.
0 Replies