Is the Bible Reliable? Science and Scripture

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 10:23 am
real life wrote:
But when asked exactly what evidence can 'only be explained by evolution' the silence is deafening.

As opposed to when creationists are asked to explain their belief, sanity takes a vacation.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 10:44 am
real life wrote:
But when asked exactly what evidence can 'only be explained by evolution' the silence is deafening.

setanta has stated it very loudly and elegantly.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 10:50 am
The silence that real life is talking about is nothing but his own incomprehension.
He has the gift of being blind to what he cannot understand.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 10:53 am
edgarblythe wrote:
real life wrote:

I agree. We've all stated it loudly, clearly and repeatedly. RL and BD just aren't listening. Apparently there are some people who simply will never be able to follow a basic scientific methodology.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 12:28 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
real life wrote:

I agree. We've all stated it loudly, clearly and repeatedly. RL and BD just aren't listening. Apparently there are some people who simply will never be able to follow a basic scientific methodology.

There are three principles basic to science: matter, energy, and the space-time continuum. Science tells us that none of the three can exist without the other two; therefore all three must have existed from the beginning of the universe. Note that Genesis 1:1 mentions all three: "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth."

A. The First Law of Thermodynamics

The Bible says in Genesis 2:2 that "God ended His work which He had made." The matter and energy that was part of the original creation is all there will ever be; no new matter or energy is being created. The complete cessation of creative activity has been recognized by modern science as the first law of thermodynamics, or the law of the conservation of mass and energy. According to this law, which is one of the most universal and certain of all scientific principles, nothing is now being created or destroyed. That principle is illustrated in the following verses:

1. Isaiah 40:26--"Lift up your eyes on high, and behold who hath created these things, who bringeth out their host by number; he calleth them all by names by the greatness of his might; for he is strong in power. Not one faileth."

2. Nehemiah 9:6--"Thou, even thou art Lord alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are in it, the seas, and all that is in them, and thou preservest them all."

3. Ecclesiastes 3:14-15--"I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be forever; nothing can be put to it, nor anything taken from it .... That which hath been is now, and that which is to be hath already been."

The Word of God accurately states the first law of thermodynamics.

B. The Second Law of Thermodynamics

This law, also known as the law of entropy, tells us that though energy cannot be destroyed, its ability to do useful work decreases. Systems tend to degenerate from a state of order to a state of chaos. Science tells us that eventually this process will lead to the death of the universe.

The Bible teaches that the second law of thermodynamics is a result of the Fall. Romans 8:20-22 says, "The creation was made subject to vanity, not willingly but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope. Because the creation itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now." Although that passage pictures the entire creation as progessively breaking down, it also gives us hope for the future. When God creates the new heaven and the new earth, the second law of thermodynamics will not operate. In that new creation there will be no more curse, death, decay, or sin.

Same source.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 12:43 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
real life wrote:

Agreed. I merely picked out this one because it was so there and so good. You, farmerman and the others are the only reason I tune in these topics. As you respond to the iders, I am able to pick up pointers I would otherwise miss out on.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 01:15 pm
baddog1 wrote:

A. The First Law of Thermodynamics

The Bible says...

B. The Second Law of Thermodynamics

The Bible teaches...

Same source.

What? No references to Humpty Dumpty as well? I'm shocked.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 04:01 pm
BAD DOG
Quote:
The Bible teaches that the second law of thermodynamics is a result of the Fall. Romans 8:20-22

Ya know, I was reading the Bible the other day and found that is even contains a recipe for coconut macaroon cookies. Everythings in there.

What a bunch of projectional hooey. The sad thing is that BD probably believes his "Thermodynamics is in the Bible" crap.

Navajo (derived from the Anasazi?) legend states that the earth has gone through four re-Creations . In each one , Great spirit has left more of the "Light of the sky to further warm the land, The Dinay had discovered a 2nd Thermodynamics principle even to the portions of proportionality. Objectively Id rather give credit to the legends of the NAvajo than to the obscure, subjective, projections that many folks ascribe as "Bible Wisdom"
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 04:11 pm
farmerman wrote:
BAD DOG
Quote:
The Bible teaches that the second law of thermodynamics is a result of the Fall. Romans 8:20-22

Ya know, I was reading the Bible the other day and found that is even contains a recipe for coconut macaroon cookies. Everythings in there.

What a bunch of projectional hooey. The sad thing is that BD probably believes his "Thermodynamics is in the Bible" crap.

Navajo (derived from the Anasazi?) legend states that the earth has gone through four re-Creations . In each one , Great spirit has left more of the "Light of the sky to further warm the land, The Dinay had discovered a 2nd Thermodynamics principle even to the portions of proportionality. Objectively Id rather give credit to the legends of the NAvajo than to the obscure, subjective, projections that many folks ascribe as "Bible Wisdom"

Strawman.

What passage are the macaroon cookies in - my lady loves them and I missed the verse.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 04:16 pm
Oh great, now we've got BD calling anything he doesn't understand a strawman. We can add him to the list with "real life" of those who don't know what a strawman argument is, but love to shout it out as though it gave them a luster of logical credibility.

In the King James Version, verses 20 through 22 of Romans, Chapter 8, read:

For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,

Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

Yup . . . them boys is seriously delusional, and will lap up any crap the bible-thumpers feed 'em . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 04:20 pm
Im not sure of the verse but it was the first recount in the old Testament about the "unleavened bread" everyone can see that it means that cookies are also defined as a bread which is unleavened and the addition of sweetened coconut is a treat that would not be disapproved under Jewish dietary laws during the high holy days. Therefore , we give you , coconut macaroons.

It has the same groping of authority as does your assignment of the 2nd law of Thermodynamics , its origin in Romans 20:22.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 04:28 pm
farmerman wrote:
Im not sure of the verse but it was the first recount in the old Testament about the "unleavened bread" everyone can see that it means that cookies are also defined as a bread which is unleavened and the addition of sweetened coconut is a treat that would not be disapproved under Jewish dietary laws during the high holy days. Therefore , we give you , coconut macaroons...

Thanks fm. It all makes perfect sense - scientifically speaking of course. :wink:

Hope you have a Happy New Year.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 04:31 pm
HYDROLOGY

A. Defined

Hydrology is the branch of science that studies the waters of the earth. In the hydrologic cycle, water evaporates into the atmosphere and is redeposited onto the earth in the form of rain or snow. That precipitation feeds rivers, which flow into the ocean. Evaporation from the ocean forms clouds, from which precipitation falls on the land, and the cycle repeats itself.

B. Described

The science of hydrology was founded in the seventeenth century by Mariotte, Perrault, and Halley, but the hydrologic cycle is clearly described in Scripture:

1. Isaiah 55:10-11--"As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return there without watering the earth, and making it bear and sprout, and furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater; so shall My word be which goes forth from My mouth; it shall not return to Me empty, without accomplishing what I desire, and without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it" (NASB).

2. Ecclesiastes 1:7--"All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full." That's because of the hydrologic cycle.

3. Job 36:27-28--"He [God] draws up the drops of water, they distill rain from the mist, which the clouds pour down, they drip upon man abundantly" (NASB).

4. Psalm 135:7--"He causeth the vapors to ascend from the ends of the earth; he maketh lightnings for the rain." This verse speaks of evaporation and precipitation.

5. Job 26:8--"He bindeth up the waters in his thick clouds; and the cloud is not torn under them." This verse speaks of the formation of clouds by condensation.

6. Job 28:10--"He cutteth out rivers among the rocks." This verse describes run-off.

7. Job 38:22--"Hast thou entered into the treasuries of the snow? Or hast thou seen the treasuries of the hail?" This speaks of the clouds.

Same source
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 04:49 pm
seems the Bible just gives a total pass to ground water , which, as we all know, is responsible for 70% of a streams base flow.

Howbout Ice caps, they account for 93% of all the fresh water on earth.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 06:26 pm
British mathematician Karl Pearson wrote:
"The goal of science is clear--it is nothing short of the complete interpretation of the universe"

Yes. What's wrong with wanting to understand how the universe works?

real life wrote:

Evolution explains the entire fossil record and predicts the kinds we might find in any given layer of rock. The Bible fails to explain why God created animals, killed them off, created slightly different models, killed them off, tried a new design, killed them off, and kept revising his creation over and over and over until he came up with the present assortment - but still isn't happy with the virulence of pathogens and has to keep changing them to create even more suffering on earth.

the authors of the Bible wrote:
"Lift up your eyes on high, and behold who hath created these things, who bringeth out their host by number; he calleth them all by names by the greatness of his might; for he is strong in power. Not one faileth."

… and thou preservest them all."

… whatsoever God doeth, it shall be forever; nothing can be put to it, nor anything taken from it .... That which hath been is now, and that which is to be hath already been."

Not true. Many stars are 2nd or 3rd generation which formed from the remnants of supernovas. More stars are being formed all of the time in stellar nurseries while older stars fade to black or explode. Galaxies can collide or get sucked into black holes.

Dinosaurs failed, so did trilobites and 99% of the species that ever existed on earth.

Quote:
When God creates the new heaven and the new earth, the second law of thermodynamics will not operate. In that new creation there will be no more curse, death, decay, or sin.

Fortunately, the Bible says nothing about God repealing entropy. The universe couldn't operate without it, with or without sin and death.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 01:19 am
baddog1, while you are listing all of the scientific findings in the Bible let's not forget this one.

Angular momentum

Joshua 10:13
And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. [Is] not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 08:29 am
I think BD is just pulling our leg with this thread.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 08:52 am
mesquite wrote:
baddog1, while you are listing all of the scientific findings in the Bible let's not forget this one.

Angular momentum

Joshua 10:13
And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. [Is] not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.

Thanks mesquite - you're correct. BTW: Joshua 10:13 is a favorite of mine.

Not intending to jack the thread, but if you enjoy the passage as well, you might enjoy this read:

http://www.geocentricity.com/astronomy_of_bible/jld/index.html

Isn't it great - the enormous amount of goals that God's word has provided and will continue to provide for science? :wink:
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 08:53 am
rosborne979 wrote:

How so ros?

Happy New Year.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 10:00 am
baddog1 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

How so ros?

Happy New Year.

Well, it's obvious that the bible is the absolute literal flawless word of God, so the whole thread must be a joke, right?

Happy New Year! Smile
0 Replies