Exercise Goals for 2008

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 07:13 am
@Joe Nation,
i hate this, if i had a gym membership i might actualyl work out. otherwise its like *reddit* *a2k* *youtube*

:/ atrgh im so lazy.
jespah

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 10:37 am
@OGIONIK,
I don't have a gym membership (I'm up too early for almost every place's schedule). Just get your butt up and do something. Do it enough days in a row and it will be a habit.

And, yeah, even though it sucks, do it when it rains. Or snows. The only time you don't do it is (a) rest days, (b) if you're really sick, or (c) it's truly unsafe to go, e. g. icy streets, blizzard conditions, tornado's coming, etc. And in the case of (c), try to find something you can do indoors instead. You have youtube -- go look for SparkPeople's Coach Nicole on there. She's got lots and lots of workouts, most of them only take a few minutes and don't require more than a couple of hand weights or some resistance bands or a stability ball, all of which are a LOT cheaper than a gym membership is, even for one month.

Plus she's cute. Don't you want to watch a cute girl doing lunges? Wink
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 01:35 pm
Week 1 of my DC Marathon training program is over. I ran 10 miles today (outside, in 27 degree snowing weather), to cap off week 1 at 29 miles.

Looking forward to week 2.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 07:21 am
Yesterday's run brought my total for the year to 1,000.2.
Goal accomplished.

It's great to see everybody hanging in as the year comes to an end.
sozobe

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 07:38 am
@George,
That's fabulous, George!! Congratulations.

I gymmed Monday and yesterday. Monday: intervals on the treadmill, for a total of 3 miles. About 1.5 of that was running I think. The 7.5 mph quarter-mile was very fun (my right knee's been a bit twingy since though, need to not get too exuberant...)

Tuesday: 20 minutes on the new recumbent bicycle, which we had a hard time figuring out and so did strength training (low intensity, then high-intensity peaks) rather than fat-burning, which we wanted but which was WAY too easy. Figured it out at the end but didn't make the best use of those 20 minutes. Then did upper-body weights.

My new schedule is work out MT, off W, work out RF, off weekend.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 03:11 pm
@George,
Woohoo! Good job, George!
jespah

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 05:26 pm
@mac11,
Yay George! Yay all of us!

Today I walked home from several bus stops away. This included going up a big honkin' hill. I walked, but quickly. It took me 2 minutes to get up the hill. I dunno if it's as challenging as I'd originally thought. Hmm.
George

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 05:39 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
I dunno if it's as challenging as I'd originally thought.

Maybe you're just getting harder to challenge.
jespah

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 04:58 am
@George,
That could be part of it as well. Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 01:03 pm
Today was distance day -- I'm trying to work up to 2 miles of continuous running. I came very close but no cigar, yet. (Ah well, goals are good, right?) I ran 1.7 miles continuously, then my friend showed up and I got distracted and a little off my stride and felt that I had to slow down for a bit. Walked .1 mile, then ran the last .2 continuously.

So I ran 1.9 miles total. (I should have just ran .3 continuously after restarting but didn't think of it.)

Hoping that next week I can do the whole thing...
George

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 01:17 pm
The boss took us to lunch at Longhorn Steak House.
I can barely move.

It's gym night for Clive and me.
Boy, do I need it!
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 09:28 pm
@George,
http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:lh4H0T8Sr0IJ::www.selmanc.info/imageshomepage/fireworks.jpgWay to go, George!!

Joe(I'm right behind you.)Nation
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 09:37 pm
@sozobe,
Good job Soz...big milestone.

George, congrats to you as well.
George

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 09:03 am
Thanks, guys!

Hey, Joe, did you know there's a "1000 Mile Club" user group on "RunningAhead"? It'll restart for 2009.
sozobe

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 10:21 am
@maporsche,
Thanks maporsche! Not quite there yet -- I'm hoping I'll do the full, continuous 2 miles on Tuesday.

Feels pretty puny next to what you running people do regularly (maporsche, George, Joe), but it's a step...

Did my full 4-day workout last week (MT, RF) and was sore yesterday but feel good today and feel like stuff is happening. (Upper body especially.) Raring to go tomorrow...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 11:17 am
@George,
You're doing great, soz.
Jespah is roaring from bus stop to home. (yea!)

George said:
Quote:
Hey, Joe, did you know there's a "1000 Mile Club" user group on "RunningAhead"? It'll restart for 2009.

Nope. But I'll join up.

Ran my last race for the year this morning: 10k Joe Kleinerman. 4331 folks circled the park in below freezing windchills.
I did 58:21 which is a new Personal Record for me.
My miles are at 948.8 with two weeks in Florida to finish out. (What a plan.)
My goal was to set new PRs in as many distances as I could. I missed in the 5 mile and the Half Marathon but only by seconds.

I set new records in the following:
4 Mile
5 K
10 K
15 K
and
18 Miles.
I'm stronger, faster and (with 2225.9 logged miles) finally feel like I am a runner, not a slogger or a jogger. My thanks to all of you for your encouragement, kind words and the appropriate amount of razzing.
One other note: I always noticed, when looking at my age group, that this guy Jack HIRSCHOWITZ aged 63, always comes in a little ahead or just behind me in races. I thought many times about trying to meet up with him because we seem to run at about the same pace.
This morning I was taking pictures at the start and I see this guy juggling three balls very expertly. I took his picture because I thought at first that he had made the three balls from the little bit of snow that fell last night, but it turns out I was wrong. The guy juggles as he runs.
Let me repeat that: He juggles three soft cloth balls AS he runs.
Very nice guy, easy to talk to, and ..... yes.... his name is Jack.
AH> Jack Hirschowitz.... so the guy I thought I was on a par with only runs as slow as I do because he is keeping at least two balls out of three in the air all the way through the race. He did 1:03:this morning. (yes. He does the Marathon juggling all the way.)

Joe(These things help me to find humility)Nation
http://www.ashrita.com/joggling_cropped.gif
maporsche

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 11:41 am
Joe, that's a pretty funny story. I'm thinking I need a gimmick while running.....nah, maybe not.

I ran 11 miles this morning to end my 2nd week of training. While I ran 29 miles the first week, I only did 17 this last week. It was a really busy week and couldn't get in my mid-week runs.

I'm really not sure about this running in 3 degree weather though, it's not as enjoyable as it was over the summer. I think I need a partner or something. Joe, what do you wear to keep the 'twig & berries' warm? (and that is a question that I would have normally asked via PM if we had the ability)
George

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 12:56 pm
@maporsche,
OurChillyFriend wrote:
...to keep the 'twig & berries' warm...

There are briefs available with a [ahem] strategically located "wind panel" of
nylon. Wind is the enemy. If the twig gets too frosty, you are in for a lot of
discomfort during your post-run shower.
Joe Nation

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 07:50 pm
@George,
NOKIDDING.
I wear my regular long leg briefs under an pair of tights and then a pair of shorts over that. It's still not been THAT cold here. Only windchills of 20 degrees or so. 3F degrees, holycow, that's chilly.

Hey, and watch your ankles, they get exposed in this wintry weather. It's all about layers.
Today, I wore a big sweatshirt and a jacket I could unzip to provide some thermostatic relief to the heat I was generating along the way. It worked out okay, BUT I had been training in that rig for about two weeks, so I was ready for any changes.
Change your dress for every run until you find the set of clothes that allows you to run fast and comfortable. Then find the set that let's you run strong.

Wear that.

Joe(you go M man, you inspire all of us)Nation
ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 08:00 pm
@Joe Nation,
Fantastic! Kudos - I always wondered what 'kudos' meant - to Jack.
And of course to all of youse.
0 Replies