Exercise Goals for 2008

sozobe

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 07:13 pm
@ehBeth,
Evidently!

I think it's more an efficiency thing in my case -- that there are just better ways to use my time than how I'm currently using it. Not the right sort of proportions.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 09:04 am
@ehBeth,
You can do it!

Another thing the exercise ball is really good for is squats. Stick the ball to the wall (just put it between your back and the wall) and do squats that way. I found I was able to get down farther with less pain and knee clicking.
maporsche

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 02:11 pm
@Joe Nation,
Well, just got home from a very wet Chicago Half Marathon (rained the entire time and pretty heavy). I finished with an unofficial time of 2:07; an average of 9:42/mile. So I met my goal.

The race atmosphere was amazing, very encouraging. I have to think there will be more excitement around the full marathon (and hopefully some more favorable weather); which will make the entire race much easier than my training runs. This was a great 1st race experience; I'm very encouraged for the full marathon (4 weeks to go).
ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 02:36 pm
@maporsche,
Good going, maporsche! and good luck on the weather for the marathon.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 02:42 pm
@maporsche,
Congratulations!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 02:48 pm
@jespah,
sheesh, pumping up that ball is probably half of today's regimen

s'ok, I got the canes to use for dance class and will practice a bit extra with them
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 04:23 pm
Good goin', maporsche!
maporsche

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 05:24 pm
@jespah,
Thank you everybody.

It feels really good to complete your first race (even if it's not the "real" marathon Smile )
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 05:51 pm
@maporsche,
Excellent, excellent, excellent, MAPORSCHE! Especially in the rain the whole way. And you met your goal, well done.
The excitement at the marathon will be electric (something to keep it mind the first few miles as many runners find themselves running faster than they ever have -- --- -- only to run out of gas at about seventeen miles.

Um. I ran a Half Marathon this morning too.
I was feeling kind of punkish after having a colonoscopy on Friday. (yes, I intend to use it as an excuse, George.. ) I got up too late to eat anything (we had to be at the busses at 4AM) so I ate a Gu Gel just before the race and two others at 6 miles and 9.5 miles. Really made a difference for me. I hope you are experimenting with either GUs or PowerBar Gels in your training runs, I had my doubts about them but now am a believer.

Trotting along through the first seven at about 10:30's, I motored through the ups and downs and twists and turns of this race. Here's the route. Don't hurt your neck trying to follow it:
http://www.nyrr.org/races/2008/pdf/queens_half_map.pdf
Then I decided my job was just to get it done and that's what I did. I set my pace to about 12:oo and put one foot down at a time.
2:23:14 (10:56 mile average)

Joe(it was really fun.)Nation
maporsche

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 07:34 pm
@Joe Nation,
Thanks Joe! and good job on your own 1/2.....and after getting something shoved up your ass only a few days earlier. Gotta hand it to you. I have been training with those gels also (I prefer the powergels). Those do help quite a bit in my training runs. I used one on my 1/2 today (at mile 7) but I had time to eat a couple of bananas before the race.

Official results are in:
Code:
Distance HALF MAR
Clock Time 2:13:14
Chip Time 2:07:08
Overall Place 4386 / 10483
Gender Place 2414 / 4200
Division Place 512 / 837
5Mile 48:55
Divtotal 820
Sextotal 4111
Pace 9:43

0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 09:01 am
Congrats on the half-marathons!
Man, I feel like such a slug.

Another weekend with no running.

We visited a friend's place in Maine and spent a lot of time drinking, eating and
just hanging out. I got a little sea-kayaking in with Clive, so it wasn't a total loss.
I had his kayak on a towline to mine to make sure I didn't lose him, but to his
credit, he was moving under his own steam most of the time.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 05:52 pm
@George,
[quote]We visited a friend's place in Maine and spent a lot of time drinking, eating and
just hanging out. I got a little sea-kayaking in with Clive, so it wasn't a total loss.
I had his kayak on a towline to mine to make sure I didn't lose him, but to his
credit, he was moving under his own steam most of the time. [/quote]

Sounds to me like a perfectly wonderful, memory-making, weekend.

Got to tell you, man, my kid is 36, but every once in awhile, usually when we are laughing about something that happened twenty five years ago, he says "Hey, remember taking those canoes down the Illinois River?"
(Boy, do I. Great moments of pleasure interspersed with minutes of terror that I would crash the thing into some snag.)

You never know what children will remember, the greatest trip on Earth can be forgotten a few weeks later, but somehow the memory of that one afternoon on the ocean with you in tethered kayaks might, for generations, burn bright and fine.

Joe(So fine.)Nation

George

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 09:54 am
Week 37
17.1 miles
Scheduled cumulative mileage: 740
Actual cumulative mileage: 764.1

[Footloose in Friendship NC]
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 07:06 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe wrote:
You never know what children will remember, the greatest trip on Earth can be forgotten a few weeks later, but somehow the memory of that one afternoon on the ocean with you in tethered kayaks might, for generations, burn bright and fine.

So true.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 08:19 pm
So, um, this is how far I've come.

Thanksgiving 2001
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/6605/fitnessfinishfd3.jpg

September 7, 2008
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/5476/fitnessof1.jpg

Joe(I'm the one finishing in the middle of the skinny guys.)Nation
ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 08:39 pm
@Joe Nation,
hubba hubba Cool

that's what all the too-young women are sayin' these days

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 03:45 am
@Joe Nation,
{whistling}
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 12:34 pm
@Joe Nation,
Yay Joe!

Went running wit da goils today. (Me, trackmom, newbie.) We hadn't run since last Friday. (Power outage and general craziness.) We did 4 running laps. Not very fast, but we did 'em.
jespah

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 02:32 pm
@sozobe,
Mucho walking today. Walked back from the last T stop (Bahstin College), also went to the Post Office avec a package, all in addition to the usual commute. Got in about 1 hr 10 mins altogether. Only noticeable discomfort was my hamstrings were barking a little bit as I was carrying the package up a hill, but they feel just fine now.

I could use a nap, though.
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 05:17 am
@jespah,
I hope you went out and bought some good shoes for doing those walks, Jes. Really good ones. Think of how good you want your tires to be on that car of yours when you are driving 65-70 mph. Then get the same quality shoe for those feets and toes and hammies.

Where am I? Beats me. The map thingies on this computer won't co-operate anymore. I had fight myself like crazy yesterday to get down to the park and run back home. (10.1 miles because I took the short cut up the steep hill.)

Got in the Half Marathon on Sunday and a couple of quickie Interval session on a couple of mornings this week as well as the ten yesterday so all in all, not a bad week.

um. 720.8 miles for the year.
Several morning/night day/night runs set for this week. The eighteen mile trot is the 28th.

Joe(where is Thomas?)Nation
0 Replies