Exercise Goals for 2008

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 12:31 pm
@maporsche,
Way to go Maporsche. 10 minute miles is a good goal.

Ran the four mile Fitness Race yesterday. It's the one race per year divided by sex. Men only. Women only. Somewhere on these pages I written about the testosterone level and the lack of chatter.
38:45 which is not a best but I was very happy. The Hanna Humidity was at 94 percent. (really. we were sweating through our shirts standing still.)
So I hit 680 miles for the year.

Joe(going to have a great September, you'll see.)Nation
jespah

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 05:01 pm
Awesome, Joe!

And maporsche -- man -- I bet you were that blur that flew by. Smile

ehBeth -- frisbee -- fantastic fun -- we should play it at gatherings.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 02:51 pm
Week 36
20.3 miles
Scheduled cumulative mileage: 720
Actual cumulative mileage: 747
[Ramblin' through Raleigh, NC on the Virtual Jog to Georgia]
sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 03:10 pm
@George,
I was just wondering about you the other day, maporsche -- I've started going back and putting together a log for my friend trackmom of when we've worked out and what we did (since I usually mention whether she was there too) and saw some of the earliest stuff you were talking about re: the marathon, and it's only about a month away, right?

Sounds like you're on pace, good for you.

Ran Friday, just three laps though before lightning sent us home (since we were out in the open...) That was me, trackmom, and newbie.

Ran today, 4 laps. Humid and hotter than we expected, plus newbie's been having shin splint problems (but won't stop running no matter how much I lecture her!) Had quite a crowd today -- me, trackmom, newbie, newbie2, and I guess newbies3 and 4 -- not sure if they'll be back though.

Ended up that trackmom and I paired off, newbies 1 and 2 paired off, and newbies 3 and 4 paired off. Shocked

Newbie is upset though (even though she invited newbie2) because newbie2 is more interested in exercising solidly throughout the time we're there, while we like the walking laps and the chat... we'll see how that ends up.

(Tune in next time, for another episode of "As the Track Turns"!)
maporsche

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 04:01 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I was just wondering about you the other day, maporsche -- I've started going back and putting together a log for my friend trackmom of when we've worked out and what we did (since I usually mention whether she was there too) and saw some of the earliest stuff you were talking about re: the marathon, and it's only about a month away, right?

Sounds like you're on pace, good for you.

Yep, just trucking along. I feel like running is a part time job at this point.

sozobe wrote:

plus newbie's been having shin splint problems (but won't stop running no matter how much I lecture her!)

Tell her to make sure she's wearing good, non-worn out, shoes. And see needs to make sure they're designed for her foot/running type.

Good work yourself Soz.....keep it up. Exercising with partners is more rewarding (I really wish I had someone to run with), but also more challenging. Everyone expects something different from a workout partner. Hopefully it will get better/easier.
maporsche

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 04:02 pm
@George,
Good job George.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 04:08 pm
My exercise goals are to exercise again... But, I won't sign up for a gym this month since i spent a fortune on moving across the ocean... and maybe not next month either. I do walk a lot, about an hour a day, but that doesn't cut it for me. my new office is spacious and i usually stay long after all of my colleagues leave...and then i play music and dance around. i know i'll be caught one day...won't be the first time i'll be making an ass of myself though.
wish it didn't rain so much here, then running would seem more enticing.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 10:27 am
did 50 this morning... half-way to my push-up goal.
i started on 7/15, so i'm setting my sights on election day 11/4...
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 11:09 am
@maporsche,
Ma-Por wrote:
Tell her to make sure she's wearing good, non-worn out, shoes. And see needs to make sure they're designed for her foot/running type

Absolutely right!
Getting the right shoes did it for me, way back when.
George

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 11:16 am
Heavy rains were appoaching. Two-Mile Mike and I hustled out to get our jog in
before they hit. Too late. Two-Mile Mike became One-Mile Mike. I did the
second lap anyway ("If you'd race in it, train in it"). The pace was 8:24, the
fastest I've run since last time I ran with Madman Jack (last November).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 11:34 am
@George,
She did get new shoes just recently -- after I lectured her about NOT running in the ones she first arrived in. (They were "athletic" shoes she'd bought just to wear, in general, not actual running shoes.) She's had these maybe 2-3 months. (As in, I don't think the shin splints can be blamed on the old shoes, and the new shoes are pretty new yet.)

She was advised by some experts at the running store where she bought these shoes, but maybe the "experts" didn't actually know what they were talking about?

Meanwhile, I DIDN'T go to the gym today and now I won't have time. Grr. Still recovering from hosting a housepest (visitor) and have a lot to catch up on. Hope to go Thursday (plus running MWF).
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 02:43 pm
Limited time available, so three miles today , but at a decent (sub-9) pace.
I felt pretty strong throughout. Maybe I've passed a milestone.
sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 02:46 pm
@George,
Good for you, George!

Gymmed today, ran yesterday. (Me, trackmom, newbies 1 + 3.)
sozobe

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 10:40 am
@sozobe,
I LOVE running in the rain!

Just me and trackmom today. Ran four laps fast, one lap slow, walked six.
George

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 11:50 am
@sozobe,
How long is a lap of the track?
jespah

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 02:37 pm
Extra walking today as RP and I went to meet my old work crew for lunch. An extra 45 mins of walking for me and my legs are fine but I am tired (also tired from the end o' the week). Used to be that 10 mins or so tuckered me out. Today I a total of 75 mins of walking and 20 mins resistance bands plus 20 mins weight-lifting.

No wonder I'm tired.
George

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 02:44 pm
@jespah,
Way to go!
Now get those feets elevated for a while.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 02:56 pm
@George,
Yep, wtg Jes!

George, a lap is a quarter mile. So I went a total of 2.75 miles today; 6 laps (1.5 miles) walking, and 5 laps (1.25 miles) running.

Not that much but the fast laps are a challenge (in a good way).

I go to the gym Tuesdays and Thursdays and do 20-25 minutes of aerobic exercise on the elliptical (keeping heart rate in 150-165 range), then a round of weight machines + free weights. I'm going to rejigger all of this soon though -- I'm getting advice that it's too much aerobics and I should do something more like interval training at the track MF, weight training (no aerobic exercise) at the gym TR, and then slower, continuous running at the track W.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 06:57 pm
@sozobe,
bought the exercise ball today - now to watch the dvd and gain the courage to errrrr plank
ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 06:58 pm
@sozobe,
too much aerobics? really? is there such a thing?