BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 06:45 pm
where are you pulling all these from DAMN!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,671 • Replies: 34
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 10:02 pm
Safecracker
At one time, many years ago before I got old and more disabled, I was considered to be an excellent cook. All my life, people have been asking me for my recipes. During the last few years when I physically couldn't manage cooking for guests, I began adding my many years of collecting recipes on my computer. When I finished entering my most famous recipes, I started reading other's recipes. I searched for unique recipes from around the world in addition to U.S. sources.

I was appalled at the recipes that were published by so called chefs, some even famous. I wondered if they deliberately sabotaged their recipes to avoid giving away their cooking secrets. I also found that many chefs published their recipes in newspapers and magazines with preparation instructions written so badly that I wondered how the average cook could have a successful outcome.

You can imagine the quality of recipes that are found on the thousands of Internet recipe sites. Most people don't know how to develop recipes, much less write them down so someone else can understand them and each step in the preparation process.

My frustration led me to pour through recipes sources that seemed interesting to me. I know a little about cooking science so I started correcting recipes to get good results. The order of things done is really important, especially in baking. Another example is if a recipe calls for sugar, it often isn't clear what kind of sugar is required. The sizes of eggs, fruit and other ingredients often isn't listed, but will effect the outcome of the product.

I also put myself in the shoes of a cook trying to prepare a recipe. I visualized each preparation step and starting adapting recipes to provide preparation instruction clarity. Simple things like listing ingredients in the order of use in the recipe. Using complete clear sentences instead of the sloppy habit of skipping words and unclear abbreviations. When novices are writing recipes, they often forget ingredients and preparation steps. I usually can spot these errors and figure out to correct them.

I also tried to up-date older recipes with new food product adjustments and new kitchen equipment to make preparation easier. Using a microwave oven instead of a double boiler for melting chocolate, for instance, and modern food processors, bread machines, convection ovens, etc.

For a while, I tried calculating international measurements to accompany U.S. recipes so it would be easier for cooks around the world, but found it so time-consuming that I gave up that goal.

So, the answer to your question is that I have about 15 discs full of recipes. I'm going through them, one day at a time, and posting them when I have time. I finished disk #7 today. Any time Jerry wants to say "Enough already," I will stop posting even if there are lots of good recipes left unposted. If he wants me to go through the remaining unposted disks and select the recipes I think would be of most interest to A2Kers, I can do that. It's his call.

---BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 09:16 am
I'll throw a quick question in - how do you feel about mise en place, BBB? was that your preferred way of cooking?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 09:18 am
Beth
Beth, sorry, I don't understand your question. Could you be more specific? I must be a little dense today. Embarrassed

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 09:20 am
Mice? Sounds heavenly.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 09:23 am
BBB has been so prolific in the contest posts, it might be a little unfair to the others Wink I might suggest a BBB recipe thread and/or project, perhaps a "Best of BBB" cd for interested A2Kers? Someone here must know how to arrange all that....I'm sure Jerry would approve.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 09:25 am
Mise en place: "Everything in it's place"....i.e. your veggies chopped, your spices in order, everything set up before you actually start cooking, as opposed to just 'winging it', which is damned fun sometimes....
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 09:30 am
That's how the guys on TV make it look so simple, and make cooking a meal look like it takes twenty minutes instead of the hours it takes us mortals. I use the "Mess en Place" method myself.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 09:35 am
Cav
Cav, you've made an excellent suggestion. I've been concerned about the large number of recipe posts making it difficult for other subject posters. But A2K isn't set up to accommodate a separate dedicated recipe thread so the entire system wouldn't get flooded with my stuff.

It is not my intent to be unfair to other A2Kers and I apologize if I've caused problems. I've read many of their recipes and they are wonderful (except for Roger's "Bluebonnet Surprise.") :wink:

I really didn't think of posting my recipes as a contest even though that was the original intent of the thread.

Perhaps I should decline any contest award as that is not my goal. I just enjoyed sharing my recipes with all of you.

Should I be sent to my room? Laughing

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 10:15 am
Don't you dare go to your room! we need you here.

yup - mise en place - everything prepped and in it's little bowls before you start the putting together process.

some people seem to be really keen on it - others think it's just extra dishes (often my view of it). I wondered what you thought about it.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 10:22 am
Mise en place: "Everything in it's place"....
Mise en place: "Everything in it's place"....ok, I get it now. Laughing

Rule #1: Carefully read the entire recipe through. Learn if you have all of the ingredients on hand or do you need to shop? Are all fresh ingredients in season or do you have to substitute? Do you have any required equipment or utensils available? If not, whom can you borrow from? Make sure your equipment is clean, especially any bowls in which egg whites are to be beaten. If baking, do you have the size pans in the recipe? It makes a difference in the outcome. If you are baking in the oven, before you preheat, check the oven shelf locations re the recipe (many recipes don't specify shelf location.)

Rule #2: Some recipes don't list the ingredients in the order they are incorporated into the recipe. They don't separate the different preparation steps into the amount of time each takes. For example, do you have to prepare a sauce before you start whipping eggs? I look for the best order of preparation to be started first if its not specific in the recipe.

Rule #3: Have all ingredients on your kitchen counters or in a nearby pantry. If time is critical to a recipe's success, I will prep vegies and fruits in advance, cover and refrigerate. When baking, prepare your baking pans in advance so they are ready to receive batters so your baking powder, etc. doesn't lose potency. Speaking of baking powder, be sure it's not outdated or it's effectiveness will be reduced. Same goes for ground spices. I like to buy whole spices when possible and grind them as I need them.

Rule #4: Check the recipe to see if any ingredients must be at room temperature. Set out in advance refrigerated ingredients. For example, soften cream cheese, eggs for beating, butter, etc. to bring them to room temperature. If you ever tried to beat refrigerated cream cheese in your mixer, you know what I mean. If some ingredients need to be icy cold, such as butter for pastry and whipping cream, be sure to refrigerate them in advance. If frozen ingredients have to be defrosted, do it in advance.

Rule #5: The elevation of your kitchen makes a difference in baking. For example, I've had to adjust many of my recipes I developed in the San Francisco Bay Area to Albuquerque's 5,000 foot elevation. Most recipes don't have high elevation adjustment information so it helps to have a resource to help you out.

Rule #6: Many recipes call for sauteing ingredients in butter over high or medium heat. Any good cook knows that butter will burn at those temperatures. So a good rule is to add a teaspoon of cooking oil to the butter, which will help prevent a smokey burned bitter taste and color.

Rule #7: Be sure your oven is big enough to hold the baking utensil. Be sure you have room in your refrigerator for storing your creation after it is made. Same goes for your freezer. Do you have to unload your small freezer compartment to freeze ingredients or the finished recipe? That's why I have an electric refrigerated ice cream maker appliance. Who has space in their freezer compartment to hold those small ice cream makers that require freezing the bowl overnight? Ugh!

These are all common sense rules that any good cook learns from experience, sometimes the hard way.

---BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 10:55 am
theres no problems bumble....was just wondering Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 03:18 pm
Hmmmm - I check if I have the smegging ingredients - but I prefer the desperate hunt through the spice forest while the pan is burning method....
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 04:09 pm
BBB deserves a culinary thread of her own, and a cd of her collection. I actually think it's a very cool idea, given how much stuff you have. Bunny may be the top poster round here, but BBB is, I believe, the top recipe poster.

Mise en place is standard practice for restaurants, but us pro chef types, cooking at home, sometimes like to mix it up and (as an example) ask ourselves things like "how fast can I chop this shallot before my oil burns?" Keeps us on our toes. Wink

You don't need to go to your room Laughing I wish more of the A2Kers were as prolific regarding the contest!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 04:15 pm
Re: Mise en place: "Everything in it's place"....
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Rule #7: Be sure your oven is big enough to hold the baking utensil.

Don't you just hate it when you have to take the chainsaw to the damn turkey? Wink
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 04:22 pm
A special forum for BBB!!!! A great idea! Recipes are a wonder to share - and it seems BBB's are classics.

What a lovely thing to do.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 04:26 pm
Go for it BBB!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 04:41 pm
go for it? CRAVEN - HELP!
Go for it! Where? How?

I have no idea what to do next. Idea

At the very least a dedicated thread would clear up the clog for everyone else. Laughing

Craven HELP!

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 04:43 pm
Ahh tell 'em to get used to it. BBB posts more quality content than anyone and thay are just jealous.

Keep it up!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 05:01 pm
Hey, I was serious. BBB....start a recipe thread of your own in the Food and Drink forum for a start. "BBB's recipe of the day/week?" Whatever you want to call it, I know people will enjoy.
0 Replies