xingu

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 12:15 pm
That's a cop out. If God is so perfect, so good, his behavior should be far above ours.

It's not.

It's beneath us.

You seem to miss a point here. You can't present God as being the shining example of goodness and have him behave as a maniac. After all if his behavior is so righteous how can ours be wrong if we copy him?

Gods behavior is an excuse for others to behave in the same way.

Christians have used the Bible to justify murder. If the Bible makes it so easy for people to kill one another then that in itself should tell you it is a false book.

Love doesn't take enjoyment in bashing children to death.

Love isn't wanting to rip fetuses out of womens bellies.

Love isn't killing children for teasing a man about his baldness.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 12:20 pm
xingu wrote:
One should know that from reading the Bible.

I'm amazed at the excuses Christians give for the Biblical God's barbaric behavior. It's like listening to a Nazi justify the Holocaust.

No excuses needed. God needs no justification. Nazi's were not God.

Some only pick from the bible what they want to believe. Doesn't matter if religious or not. Most of you say that the bible was written by uneducated, primitive, frightened people of ancient times. You seem, however, to believe the exact words that you read when it benefits you.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 12:21 pm
xingu,

I am not missing your point at all. What I am saying is exactly what you are saying "his behavior should be far above ours." What we as humans perceive, believe, etc., is based on human emotion. God thinks, acts, etc., on a level far above what we do. God is more concerned about a spiritual life of someone than He is about our physical life. We are but dust but our souls are eternal.

IF you accept the complete concept of God, omnipresent, omniscient, etc., then of course you would defer to Him.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 01:47 pm
Intrepid wrote:
xingu wrote:
One should know that from reading the Bible.

I'm amazed at the excuses Christians give for the Biblical God's barbaric behavior. It's like listening to a Nazi justify the Holocaust.

No excuses needed. God needs no justification. Nazi's were not God.

Some only pick from the bible what they want to believe. Doesn't matter if religious or not. Most of you say that the bible was written by uneducated, primitive, frightened people of ancient times. You seem, however, to believe the exact words that you read when it benefits you.

That's horseshit--people such as me, and i believe this will apply to Xingu as well, don't say that we believe any of the tripe in your book of fairy tales. What i will point out, and what Xingu is pointing out, is that you claim that your imaginary friend is perfect, when the book of fairy tales which you believe, and which you claim is divinely inspired and inerrant shows a vicious, racist, murderous, puerile god who wreaks havoc on people on a whim. We don't have to believe any part of it to point out that Jack the Ripper is a better role model than the God of Battles.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 01:49 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
IF you accept the complete concept of God, omnipresent, omniscient, etc., then of course you would defer to Him.

It is precisely because your imaginary friend as described in your book of fairy tales is such an evil, such a vicious character that so many people refuse to accept the concept, or defer to such a psychopathic character.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 01:55 pm
Then why does God kill so many people? Why does he kill kids and babies? Why does he kill people for their religious beliefs?

That's not being on a level far above us.

Quote:
Mat 6:12 (TEB) "Forgive us the wrongs that we have done, as we forgive the wrongs others have done us."

Luke 6:37 (NIV) "...Forgive, and you will be forgiven."

Mat 6:14-15 (NIV) "For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But, if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins."

This sounds good doesn't it?

Now lets see if God can practice what he preaches.

Quote:
Paslm 137
By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion.

We hanged our harps upon the willows in the midst thereof.

For there they that carried us away captive required of us a song; and they that wasted us [required of us] mirth, [saying], Sing us [one] of the songs of Zion.

How shall we sing the LORD'S song in a strange land?

If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand forget [her cunning].

If I do not remember thee, let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth; if I prefer not Jerusalem above my chief joy.

Remember, O LORD, the children of Edom in the day of Jerusalem; who said, Rase [it], rase [it, even] to the foundation thereof.

O daughter of Babylon, who art to be destroyed; happy [shall he be], that rewardeth thee as thou hast served us.

Happy [shall he be], that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

So much for forgivness. Talk is cheap.

BTW does God believe in forgiving those who spend their lives not believing in him or Christ?

Absolutely not.

Here's another example of Biblical contradiction.

Quote:
Numbers 31; 1-2
Then the LORD said to Moses,

"Take vengeance on the Midianites for leading the Israelites into idolatry. After that, you will die and join your ancestors."

Know what that vengence was? All the Midianites were killed except for the little virgin girls. They were given to the soldiers in "marriage."

Is that what you call a higher level?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 02:14 pm
I will not argue the Bible with any of you. But what you are doing is only picking out the parts that back up what you are wanting it to say. Anyone can do that. The WHOLE Bible must be taken and line upon line, and precept upon precept you find the truth.

Like I said Xingu, I may not like all that God has done and to my human mind I understand your point completely. But again, human reasoning is far below the reasoning of God, whether we agree with it or not.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 02:18 pm
Setanta wrote:
We don't have to believe any part of it to point out that Jack the Ripper is a better role model than the God of Battles.

Jack the Ripper never made himself known. :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 02:20 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
The WHOLE Bible must be taken and line upon line, and precept upon precept you find the truth.

And that truth is that the god described therein is a pathological scumbag.

This typical christian attitude is the moral equivalent of sticking one's fingers in one's ears and saying: "La, la, la, la . . . i can't hear you."

Your typical christian responding to criticisms of their lunatic god:

http://www.usda.gov/da/ocpm/Security%20Guide/images/Cartoons/Ostrich.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 02:22 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Setanta wrote:
We don't have to believe any part of it to point out that Jack the Ripper is a better role model than the God of Battles.

Jack the Ripper never made himself known. :wink:

Neither has your imaginary friend . . . unless you claim you have proof that your boy god exists . . . what would that be, Intrepid?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 02:25 pm
I am curious as to why you, or anybody else, would care what I or anybody else believes in. I don't care (or rather criticsize) what you do, or do not, believe in.

Are you trying to make us think as you do? I am not pushing you or anybody else to believe what I do. I just want to have the freedom to believe as I choose.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 02:27 pm
Setanta Wrote:
Quote:
And that truth is that the god described therein is a pathological scumbag.

This typical christian attitude is the moral equivalent of sticking one's fingers in one's ears and saying: "La, la, la, la . . . i can't hear you."

Your typical christian responding to criticisms of their lunatic god:

http://www.usda.gov/da/ocpm/Security%20Guide/images/Cartoons/Ostrich.jpg

And thus, we are right back at the same could be said of those refusing, not accepting, etc. of what answers you get as to why you are wrong about God in mine and others' opinions.

Like I said, ya either believe or ya don't. It's up to you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 02:30 pm
Intrepid wrote:
I am curious as to why you, or anybody else, would care what I or anybody else believes in. I don't care (or rather criticsize) what you do, or do not, believe in.

Are you trying to make us think as you do? I am not pushing you or anybody else to believe what I do. I just want to have the freedom to believe as I choose.

I don't care if you believe that your boy Jesus eats turds and shits bricks of pure gold--it's no skin off my nose. At the same time, i have as much right to post here as you do, and to point out that your imaginary friend as described in the Bobble is a murderous, racist, puerile psychopath. I don't give a rat's ass if you worship a scumbag like that, and i will continue to entertain myself by pointing it out.

Too bad . . . if you don't like reading it, don't read.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 02:32 pm
You seem to have misinterpreted my post. Of course you have every right to post. That was part of my point. At least you have answered as to why you post. I hope that you are getting your entertainment value.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 02:35 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
And thus, we are right back at the same could be said of those refusing, not accepting, etc. of what answers you get as to why you are wrong about God in mine and others' opinions.

Like I said, ya either believe or ya don't. It's up to you.

I am not "accepting, etc. of what answers" because i haven't asked you any questions--i'm not seeking any "answers" from you. (Is English your native language?)

What i believe is that the ugly psychopathic god described in the Bobble is a disgusting character, and not fit to be a role model for anyone. You have done nothing to demonstrate that i am "wrong" to believe that, you just try to dance around this issue of what the Bobble actually says about your boy god, and claim either that this viciousness is somehow mitigated by the totality of scripture, or that god cleaned up his act and made nice after your boy Jesus was hung out to dry.

Either way, it's a pathetic attempt to avoid the glaringly obvious bad character your imaginary friend has from the very scripture which you claim is divinely inspired and inerrant. If it is, then you can't pick and choose which parts of scripture you want to emphasize, while ignoring that you imaginary friend is a racist, murderous, vicious, puerile creep.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 02:37 pm
Intrepid wrote:
I hope that you are getting your entertainment value.

When it comes to christian apologists, it never fails . . .
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 02:37 pm
Happy New Year Setanta!

I did not mean YOU literally were asking. Sorry I did not make that clearer.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 02:38 pm
Whom did you mean to claim was asking? Xingu?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 02:40 pm
Setanta wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
I hope that you are getting your entertainment value.

When it comes to christian apologists, it never fails . . .

No apologies necessary. Oh, err, you meant...... nevermind Smile
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 02:41 pm
I was speaking in general Setanta. To those that it applies to and none other.
0 Replies