Polish borsh soup help

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 08:17 pm
Has anybody made the Polish borsh(sp?) soups? Tomorrow I'm attempting the red beat borsch. I have all the ingredients including pork neck bones. Anybody have any tips?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,761 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 10:59 pm
I'm familiar with Russian beet borscht. I have had it with just plain shredded diced pickled beets and often added sour cream or even other veggie like cucumber , dill or green onions. Sometime we have added diced hard boiled eggs.

However, I've heard of a different Polish dish: golonka (pork knuckles cooked with vegetables).

I've never heard if it with neck bones, but diff. ethnic regions often make their own variations .
There's also a type that is spinach borscht (green) called Tchav.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 11:33 pm
It's in Polish barszcz.

You use the bones for making the stock instead of beef bones.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 08:38 am
and then there's white borsch
The neckbones are for the stock. The meat usually falls off the bones, and remains in the soup. Sour cream is added at the end. I always use awesome Michigan sweet beets. It is similar to the russian version
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 08:48 am
STOP!!!! The Polish version doesn NOT use sour cream. Thats a Jewish accout to the traditional Christmas soup. (Remember , a Jewish version wont have the creme and meat flavor together) Arrange the veal and neck bones in a pan, drizzle with oil and then bake them for stock. The remains in the pan are reduced and then brought nup with some sweetened vinegar . The meats in the Polish version include veal, pork and sometimes beef . Fry onions until sweet and add them.

Many times the traditional is served either over knluski (egg noodles thick) or saur kraut in the bowl.

SOur Cream is a whole nother flavor that(IMHO) doesnt make the soup better, infact you lose some of the subtle earth tastes of the redbeet)

Do as you will but Ive been raised on a combination of the Polish and the Ukraine version(sour cream is added in this one and even more diverse meats)
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 09:00 am
probally not traditional
My mom was all polish. (That's why her last name didn't end in toboggan) (that was a pun) Anyway, she sometimes reffered to the red beet soup, as poor mans soup. She always put sour cream in it, and used whatever inexpensive meat parts the local butcher had. It probally wasn't traditional borsch, but , it's the borsch I know. Thank you for your input. Shall we dare discuss the white version?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 12:47 pm
Barzcz, kielbasi, cabanosy, chlep, and sczan , good eats.
0 Replies