The 82nd Rainforest Thread ~

danon5

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 10:13 am
@ehBeth,
I did not know the bug thing came from a song. Or, maybe the song came from the original joke?? Knopfler, huh. He buttoned that one up.....Grin
sumac

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 10:45 am
@danon5,
That was great, ehBeth. I marvel at your skills.

The following has to come under the heading of "hmmmm, wonder what the hell..."

Quote:
September 3, 2008
National Briefing | Washington
E.P.A. Kills Water Project in Delta
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

The Environmental Protection Agency killed a federal plan to build the world’s largest water pump in the Mississippi River Delta. It is the first time since 1990 that the E.P.A. has vetoed a project proposed by the Army Corp of Engineers. The $220 million proposal would have moved six million gallons of water a minute from 67,000 acres of wetlands along the Yazoo River. The agency said the project would cause unacceptable damage to fish, wildlife and waterfowl.
alex240101

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 04:24 pm
@sumac,
Sumac, thank you for that article. I would of never thought pumping six million gallons a minute was possible.
Clicked to save a few gallons.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 04:49 pm
@alex240101,
The NFL season is starting up - come throw down yer picks.

http://able2know.org/topic/121781-1#post-3384691

Picking and grinning Very Happy
ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 05:28 pm
@ehBeth,
The WildClickers have supported 2,913,297.0 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 215,712.9 square feet.
American Prairie habitat supported: 68,014.8 square feet.
Rainforest habitat supported: 2,629,569.3 square feet.

0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:00 am
g'day all ~

http://rainforest.care2.com/i?p=583091674
danon5

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 11:33 am
@Stradee,
And a great G'Day to you too, Stradee.

ehBeth, nice show. I still have an old 78 rpm record of the Carter Family singing before June went out on her own. I have two of the old hand wound players but rarely listen to them anymore. I like the way they sing some of the words - especially 'Wess Verginyee'.......
ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 03:29 pm
@danon5,
The WildClickers have supported 2,913,393.3 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 215,757.4 square feet.

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,629,621.2 square feet.

http://dingo.care-mail.com/photos/4/4365a.gif
danon5

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:00 pm
@ehBeth,
Hi ehBeth, that's a wonderful lady. You should see our home here in East TX. Not too many - err, none of our "friends" understand our home. Outside is Mary - the mother of Jesus. In a nice framed case with a Catholic type cross behind it. (I thought befitting because it looked like art.) Once inside our home you will begin to see several other religions icons of all kinds. (They each have their own theme. During WWII that type of advertising was linked to Fascism - symbols of whatever.) We have all religions represented in our home. The most prevalent is Buddha. Which I think is the most allowing religion in the world. Oh, well, it's a Hell of Lot Better than government.

I'm for the guy who - after being tortured in Vietnam came back to his cell and quietly tapped out in code to the rest of his cellmates, "After torture today, I converted to religion." One of his cellmates tapped out in code back, "What religion did you convert to?" He tapped back, "All of them."

That's a true story.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:10 pm
@danon5,
Hi Dan. Iconography's interesting, isn't it. Almost as interesting as studying religion.

I'm definitely more of a student than a practitioner in this area.
danon5

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 08:07 pm
@ehBeth,
Me too.

I go bed now.

Dan
ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 08:14 pm
@danon5,
G'night to Patti's best friend.
sumac

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 06:02 am
@ehBeth,
Follow-up to my previous post.

Quote:
September 5, 2008
Editorial
Death of a Boondoggle

The Yazoo Pumps are dead. This time for real.

In a victory for clean water and wetlands protection, the Environmental Protection Agency has killed a crazy yet seemingly indestructible scheme hatched more than 60 years ago by Congress and the Army Corps of Engineers to build a giant pumping station in the Mississippi Delta north of Vicksburg.

Billed as a flood-control project by its Senate champions, the pumps would have cost $220 million and drained thousands of acres of valuable wetlands and hardwood forests merely to serve the interests of a handful of soybean farmers who already drink liberally from the public trough. The wetlands marked for destruction already provide considerable flood protection.

The project had been kept alive by a succession of Mississippi legislators and by other members of Congress eager to protect their own deals with the corps. The retirement of one backer, Senator Trent Lott, apparently gave Stephen Johnson, the E.P.A. administrator, the opening and the courage that he needed to kill it.

Mr. Johnson " - along with agency scientists and environmental groups like American Rivers who kept up the pressure " deserves further credit for standing up to the corps, which few of his predecessors have been willing to do. Under the Clean Water Act, the agency can technically overrule the corps, but rarely does.

Over the years, the cozy relationship between the corps and its pork-loving paymasters in Congress have produced one environmental outrage after another. There are other dubious projects in the works, so one can only hope that Mr. Johnson’s decisions signals a long period of vigorous oversight.
danon5

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 02:53 pm
@sumac,
sumac, Johnson's not to blame - he is directed by Pres. Bush.

All clicked, all.

That's a lot of all's.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 05:02 pm
Clicked. Friday. Just gave away the best batch of spaghetti sauce I've ever made.
Don't eat red jalepenos.
Good day.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 06:25 pm
Hi WildClickers,

ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 08:43 pm
@Stradee,
The WildClickers have supported 2,913,504.4 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 215,809.2 square feet.

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,629,680.4 square feet.

http://www.jmg-galleries.com/blog_images/021108_san_francisco_starry_night_520cc.jpg
sumac

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 06:09 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
GOING WITH THE FLOES Last summer, warming temperatures melted more of the Arctic ice cap than at any time since measurements have been taken. This summer’s data indicate that 2007’s melt was not a one-year anomaly. With the ice still melting, the total amount of Arctic sea ice was approaching last year’s low, and polar bears, which use ice floes as platforms on which to fish and rest, were spotted swimming in the open sea. Some were headed toward the edge of the ice shelf, 400 miles away " far beyond their endurance.

In as little as five years, said a NASA scientist, Jay Zwally, the North Pole in summer will be ice-free. “Climate warming is also coming larger and faster than the models are predicting,” Dr. Zwally said. “Nobody’s really taken into account that change yet.”

Change? Did the man say change? He must be a Democrat. Or a Republican.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 11:04 am
Says a lot for determination and good maintenance Very Happy

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/my/yplus/csp_pcm_sbc_dial/cms1.my.sp1.yahoo.com/uploads/sep2008/0806_ups_driver.jpg

A million miles driving the same truck!
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 11:20 am
sue, polar bears are having a rough time of it, as well as seals and other marine mammals.

America has the capabilities of developing reusable energy that will slow the devatating effects of global warming.

Government change?