The 82nd Rainforest Thread ~

danon5

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 05:40 pm
@ehBeth,
alex, all you have to do is click on gravatar dot com and then upload whatever picture you wish. That pic will become your avatar.

Great clicking all.

I'm just starting the very old movie - 'Top Gun' staring "Tom Cruise" which is acqually his first two names - not, his family name. His family name is= Thomas Cruise - check biography.com and find out........

It's Mapother the Third

Or something like that.

I forget at my age.

Dan

danon5

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 06:13 pm
@danon5,
I did in actuallyality - guide a fellow aviator (the US Army term for pilot) back to home base after he called for help on the local company radiao frequency. I heard him squealling on the company frequency and starting to yell and cry, he had been shot by the Vietnamese and was crying out on the radio for help. I was not far away and went to where he was - I then flew under his plane and looked at the damage. It was minimal - I talked the pilot back to our base and helped him to land.

Another time, I had my plane's hydrolics shot out my enemy fire. The entire plane I was flying was hydrolicly operated. I called to land at a nearby US
AF base - I didn't call an emergency because I did not want to have to fill out all the paperwork.4

It was a close landing - but, as is evident now, I survived,
Stradee

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 07:40 pm
@danon5,
and we're glad that you did.... Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 07:42 pm
@danon5,
I'm glad you did and I'm glad you did.

As always, proud to know you.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 06:47 am
Clicked.
Hello everybody.
danon-I like my new avatar.

You guys are slacking: http://rainforest.care2.com/i?p=583091674
sumac

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 10:55 am
@danon5,
Great posts, everyone.

Stradee,
If the greenhouse is capable of getting supplemental heat, everything will survive. May not look great, or perform well, but survive. But the temp can't get below freezing, or stay there long. Tender annuals will not tolerate any time below freezing. Others can take some.

Have some stuff to post but will do it separately.
sumac

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 10:57 am
@danon5,
http://www.earthjustice.org/assets/subject/wildlife/pika_225.jpg

Alpine 'Boulder Bunny' Imperiled by Global Warming

State and federal lawsuits filed to protect American pika

August 19, 2008

Pika
American Pika
Photo: Earthjustice

San Francisco, CA -- Conservation groups filed two lawsuits today seeking protection of the American pika, whose survival is imperiled by global warming. The groups went to state court seeking protection of the pika under the California Endangered Species Act and to a federal court seeking protection under the federal Endangered Species Act.

The American pika, Ochotona princeps, is a small relative of the rabbit whose squeaky calls are a familiar companion to alpine hikers. Pikas live in boulder fields near mountain peaks in the western United States. Adapted to cold alpine conditions, pikas are intolerant of high temperatures and can die from overheating when exposed to temperatures as low as 80°F for just a few hours.

"The pika is the American West's canary in the coal mine," said Shaye Wolf, a biologist with the Center for Biological Diversity. "As temperatures rise, pika populations at lower elevations are being driven to extinction, pushing pikas further upslope until they have nowhere left to go."

Rising temperatures caused by greenhouse gas pollution have already led to dramatic losses of lower-elevation pika populations. More than a third of documented pika populations in the Great Basin mountains of Nevada and Oregon have gone extinct in the past century as temperatures warm, and those that remain are found an average of 900 feet further upslope. According to climate experts, temperatures in the western United States in this century will increase at least twice as much as they did in the past century. This could eliminate the pika from large regions of the American West.

"Climate change is likely to drive a third of the world's species to extinction. Worse, it's the species living on mountaintops, which until now have been free from human impact, that will be hardest hit," said Dr. Stuart Pimm, professor of Conservation Ecology at Duke University. "The American pika is an obvious example of such a species at considerable risk from climate change," said Pimm, who has spent decades studying the global loss of biological diversity.

In April 2008, the California Fish and Game Commission denied a petition by the Center for Biological Diversity to protect the pika under the California Endangered Species Act. A Fish and Game report issued earlier this year stated that "mitigating greenhouse gas pollution" and "facilitating adaptation to climate change" are "not in the purview of the Commission or Department to effect," despite numerous state laws and policies that require the agencies to consider and respond to climate change.

One of the two cases filed today by Earthjustice on behalf of the Center challenges the California Fish and Game Commission's denial of the pika petition.

"The California Fish and Game Commission's attempt to bury its head in the sand rather than deal with the impact of global warming on wildlife is an embarrassment to our state, which is a leader in climate policy," said Greg Loarie, an attorney with Earthjustice, which is representing the Center in the lawsuits. "The Commission is not allowed to abdicate its duty to protect California's plants, animals, and wild habitats, and neither is the U.S Fish and Wildlife Service."

The second case challenges the Fish and Wildlife Service's failure to make a timely initial finding on a separate petition filed by the Center for Biological Diversity in October 2007 to protect the American pika under the federal Endangered Species Act. The Fish & Wildlife Service has not taken any action on this petition even though it was required to issue an initial determination within 90 days of receiving the petition.
Pika Facts:

* Pikas live in boulder fields surrounded by meadows on mountain peaks. They avoid the summer heat by seeking the cool crevices under the boulders and by remaining inactive during warm periods.
* Despite the long, cold, snowy winters at high elevations, pikas do not hibernate.
* Pikas spend summers diligently gathering flowers and grasses and store them in "haypiles" for food to sustain them through the long winters.
* These "boulder bunnies," which weigh only a third of a pound, must collect more than 60 pounds of vegetation to survive the winter.
* Global warming threatens pikas by shortening the time available for them to gather food, changing the types of plants that grow where they live, reducing the insulating snowpack during winter, and, most directly, causing the animals to die from overheating.
sumac

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 10:58 am
@sumac,
Bloomberg Calls for Alternative Energy
Mayor Urges Study of Wind, Solar Power

By Robin Shulman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, August 21, 2008; A02

NEW YORK -- Outlining his vision for a dramatic reconfiguration of urban energy sources, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg says he is exploring potential for installing turbines and other alternative energy generators throughout New York City, in the water and on bridges and skyscrapers.

Speaking Tuesday evening at a conference in Las Vegas on alternative energy, Bloomberg said he will ask private companies to study how windmills, tidal turbines, and solar energy panels might be built, in an attempt to move the city toward reliance on renewable sources of energy.

"In New York," he said, "we don't think of alternative power as something that we just import from other parts of the nation."

His ideas could place New York at the forefront of a handful of cities across the nation seeking wind power and other alternative sources of energy.

A Chicago architect plans to tap into wind power for a new office, retail and residential skyscraper.

In San Francisco, Johanna Partin, the renewable energy program manager, said the city already has wind turbines on four homes and another on a city-owned museum. "We're really just kind of getting started," she said.

In Boston, the city is installing wind turbines at City Hall and at four schools, and it already has them at Logan International Airport and the electrical workers union.

New York City on Tuesday issued a request for expressions of interest to companies that might build wind-, solar- and water-based generators.

"We want their best ideas for creating both small- and large-scale projects serving New Yorkers," Bloomberg said. He said that offshore turbines could use wind power to generate 10 percent of the city's energy needs within a decade. Rooftop solar production, he said, could create nearly another 20 percent.

This is the most ambitious of Bloomberg's recent ideas to keep energy usage even as the city's population grows.

But his recent plan for congestion pricing -- in which vehicles would have been charged a fee to enter parts of Manhattan -- failed to pass the state legislature.

The city is already using a small tidal turbine in the East River that powers a supermarket on Roosevelt Island, an upscale island near the 59th Street Bridge, and another one is being installed at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, aides to the mayor said.

Still, even the mayor's supporters acknowledge that large-scale wind turbine installations could be costly and a difficult sell to residents who do not want the devices near them.

It would also be difficult to implement any project of major scale in the less than 18 months the mayor has left in office.

But officials close to the project say that at this stage, it is an exploration of options that will continue beyond Bloomberg's tenure.

"You can't build an offshore wind turbine in 498 days, and we aren't going to have thousands of roofs paneled with solar panels in 498 days," said Jim Gallagher, the senior vice president for energy policy at the city's Economic Development Corp., alluding to the number of days left in the mayor's term. "This is a long-term project, and the mayor felt it's time we should be part of it."

At the conference, Bloomberg said he hopes the city can turn to enough renewable resources to cause a reduction in dependence on foreign oil.

He added: "I would think that it would be a thing of beauty if, when Lady Liberty looks out on the horizon, she not only welcomes new immigrants to our shores, but lights their way with a torch powered by an ocean wind farm."
sumac

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 10:59 am
@sumac,
August 21, 2008
Editorial
There Ought to Be a Roadless Law

Among President Bill Clinton’s signature environmental achievements was a regulation that prohibited new roads " and by extension, new commercial activity " in nearly 60 million largely undeveloped acres of the national forests. For seven years, the Bush administration, egged on by its friends in the timber and oil-and-gas industries, has worked tirelessly to kill the roadless rule. Conservationists have worked just as hard to preserve it.

Rules devised by the executive branch are often challenged on grounds that they violate an underlying federal statute or have been rushed through without proper vetting. Environmental regulations are especially contentious. The roadless rule, in particular, has been caught in an endless game of Ping-Pong, with some courts upholding it, others overturning it.

The good news is that little has changed on the ground: In seven years, only seven miles of new roads have been built in protected areas in the lower 48 states. Legally, though, things are a complete mess. That means that there is no guaranteed protection for the roadless forests.

The Clinton rule has been thrown out three times by district courts in response to lawsuits from states and industries. The most recent injunction was handed down last week by Clarence A. Brimmer, a conservative Federal District Court judge in Wyoming. He issued one of the earlier injunctions and has supported the administration on whether to limit snowmobiles in Yellowstone, which is another long-running environmental dispute.

The roadless rule has been reinstated twice " once at the appellate level by the Ninth Circuit, and later by a federal magistrate judge in San Francisco, Elizabeth LaPorte. Judge LaPorte also slapped down a sneaky effort by the Bush administration to take advantage of all the confusion by replacing the Clinton rule with a much weaker alternative of its own.

Environmental groups will surely appeal Judge Brimmer’s latest ruling, which, of course, they should. But that still leaves too much room for mischief. Congress will have to intervene. Last year, more than 140 House members and 19 senators introduced the National Forest Roadless Area Conservation Act. It is past time to provide permanent protection for the forests by turning the Clinton rule into firm law.
danon5

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 11:00 am
@sumac,
Hi all, all clicked.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 11:01 am
@sumac,
How come this thread has a -7 rating?
Stradee

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 06:17 pm
@alex240101,
Hey Alex, thanks for posting the link Smile

Worked an earlier shift today and just logged on the computer.

Almost all clicked Very Happy

http://rainforest.care2.com/i?p=583091674

0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 06:22 pm
@sumac,
Not a clue
whatever...

Stradee

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 06:25 pm
@sumac,
Thanks for the info, sue. Appreciate your answer. Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 06:27 pm
@sumac,
My understanding of the 7 thumbs down is that 8 more people have voted that they don't want to see this thread when they look at new posts than have explicitly indicated they do want to see it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 07:14 pm
@Stradee,
I'm off to the fair tomorrow - will see you all again on Sunday.
sumac

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 08:35 am
@ehBeth,
Have a good time, ehBeth.

Clicked.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 10:33 am
Obama/Biden Very Happy

g'day wildclickers

http://rainforest.care2.com/i?p=583091674
teenyboone

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 11:21 am
@Stradee,
We're on the same page! I have to hunt down this reaponse or send it to myself to click! Cool
Stradee

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 12:24 pm
Dan, I don't recall the aircraft you piloted. From prior posts you mentioned the "Starfighter". {?} In honor of Aviation Week..

http://www.vectorsite.net/Ya104_3m.jpg
0 Replies