The 82nd Rainforest Thread ~

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 05:29 pm
You and your 300 friends have supported 2,861,518.5 square feet!

1 Aktbird57 .. 65.688 acres

~~~

If it gets cold ... er, I'll put a polar fleece skirt over my polar fleece pants Laughing

It's not too bad this moment, but it will get colder ... soon.

~~

oh great, the radio's on and "a winter storm watch is in effect"

when the heck did that happen?
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 08:13 pm
very stylish, ehBeth Laughing

a new storm? stay home!
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 08:24 pm
Stradee wrote:
Glad ya found yur way here, Teeny!

Clicking is good for the soul. Cool

Spirit of the Day ~

http://www.google.com/logos/valentine08.gif

Glad to be here! Nice visual! Is that Google for the old folks? :wink:
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 08:29 pm
It is a google image that i thought just adorable.

A cane and baloons. Just to cute.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 10:44 pm
ehBeth, I will UPS my old parka - wolf lined of course - from Fairbanks, AK if you like - I still have it. I've been out in minus 72 degrees F. in it - and some other stuff on of course. Mucklucks are the best to wear on your feet if you have them. The North American Alaskan Native Americans have about 10 thousand years practice over we lower 48'ers.

I loved Alaska - it's the last great American Nature Adventure. At any time of the year.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 10:48 pm
I've got some good gear from the years I worked in Northern Ontario. I bought stuff from the factory that supplied the phone and electric line workers. Great down parka - with a wolf faceframe. It's really the only option in those conditions. Nothing fake seems to work the same way.

Silk longjohns, if you can track 'em down, are fantastic!

Danon, thought of you tonight - I went to a Hafla - a bellydancers's party night - great fun - I could have finally introduced you to the lovely Hannan :wink:
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 08:01 am
Good Sat. morning alll

clicked - Very Happy

Yeah, I would have loved that, ehBeth.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 08:09 pm
Wondering what sort of materials NASA uses to keep their astronauts from freezing when they're outside of the spacecraft orbiting at a zillion miles per hour.

http://rainforest.care2.com/i?p=583091674
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 08:28 pm
CLICK Very Happy
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 09:39 pm
Stradee wrote:
It is a google image that i thought just adorable.

A cane and baloons. Just to cute.

They're ver cute! Sorry, I'm so late! Clicked very early this AM, but I had to go out, so all clicked for another day! Yea! Cool
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 10:18 pm
Stradee, they use regular clothing stuff - except it is all weather proof. And, internally heated and/or cooled as needed. In sun light it must withstand approx. 600 degrees F. heat and be heated when in shadows to keep a relative 98.6 degree F. body temp. That is why the backpack they carry is so huge. It has both a heater and air conditioner as well as extra oxygen/nitrogen air.

At least that is what I believe is going on.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 05:10 am
Cool Sunday, early AM, clicked all 10 causes and 2 petitions! :wink:
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 07:43 am
teeny, what an early bird you are today-and, way to go with the clicks.

Morning all, Hope your Sunday is warm and fuzzy.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 07:46 am
Up early, looking for something hearty to fix for dinner. We've all been down with the "flu"! 1st the husband, then me, then Renee! I'm feeling better, looking for something to eat!

danon5 wrote:
teeny, what an early bird you are today-and, way to go with the clicks.

Morning all, Hope your Sunday is warm and fuzzy.

Cool :wink:
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 06:49 pm
Interesting Dan! On average though, people need warm clothing. Researched non-animal matierial clothing and found the following article.

A system of clothing that has been successfully used in sub-zero conditions by climbers is the Buffalo Double-P system, made from fibre pile bonded to pertex. Fibre-pile is basically synthetic fur, while pertex is a windproof, full breathable material that is shower proof and very fast drying.
Double-P clothing is worn next to the skin, trapping a layer of warm air but allowing the rapid removal of perspiration. Zips at the neck and under the arms assist in venting and temperature regulation.
To think of Double-P items as a sort of fleece is not to realize its most effective application. Better to think of it as a suit of "Super-Underwear".
Double-P clothing does not loose its insulating abilities when wet and is very fast drying. I've seen a friend wade into a lake on an icy November morning while wearing Double-P trousers. Ten minutes later he was nearly dry and suffered no ill effects.
Another advantage of the Double-P system is that a Double-P shirt and trousers or salopettes cost much less than the equivalent protection provided by separate thermal underwear, fleece or down jacket and windproofs.

Teeny, glad you're feeling better. Smile

Have a good evening, wildclickers!

http://rainforest.care2.com/i?p=583091674
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 08:41 am
That sounds very interesting, Stradee. Maybe companies like LL Bean and Eddie Bauer will begin to carry it.

Happy Presidents Day folks.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 09:44 am
Happy Presidents' Day to American WildClickers!

Happy Family Day to other WildClickers in Ontario!

clicking and listening to the freezing rain hitting the side of the house Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 10:02 am
You and your 300 friends have supported 2,862,431.6 square feet!

1 Aktbird57 .. 2082 65.705 acres

~~~

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/GLX/tcb20290_b~Relax-Posters.jpg
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 05:59 pm
KA CLICKA!!! Sad Confused Smile Very Happy Shocked Very Happy Razz Embarrassed :wink: Shocked Smile Confused Surprised :wink: Idea Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Mad Confused Smile Mr. Green Drunk
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 06:00 pm
HIYA BETH!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies