Things that well-meaning A2Kers do that I find horribly rude

ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 02:33 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
ehBeth- I never had any problem with card catalogs.

so you were a natural with key words - it doesn't matter whether it's card catalogues or Google - it's an ability to identify/use/apply word patterns - not everyone has it

I'm sure there are people who don't try - but I've certainly seen enough people struggling to find books in libraries - and trying to find information on the internet - to recognize that it just isn't easy or obvious for everyone.

(As an aside, pattern recognition is an interesting area of study - numbers, music, board games, knitting, language ... always interesting to discover the connections between those worlds)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 02:36 pm
Ragman wrote:
without thinking about whether or not the same rules apply as to the last time they asked about the grammar syntax question.

Try not to assume that they're not thinking - perhaps they're not able to recognize the patterns. Maybe they'll be able to at some point, but not yet.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 02:41 pm
but where I go with this in my mind is that some people are just being lazy. Just to open that debate up a little. As I previously wrote, I try to refer them to where they can find the info.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 02:42 pm
A2K's motto: "Ask Questions, Get Answers."

Therefore, treat questors with dignity.

What about this new poster:

http://www.able2know.org/forums/about108993.html#top ?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 02:47 pm
Noddy, I'm happy to know that this kind of poster may not be representative of the intelligence of Americans..
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 02:48 pm
ok..good example. Was this rude? Perhaps yes...or was it deserved? I can cross the line. I took the risk, perhaps I shouldn't have. I accept the criticism...but how offensive was this?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 02:49 pm
Francis wrote:
Noddy, I'm happy to know that this kind of poster may not be representative of the intelligence of Americans..

To whom are you referring? Curious to know.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 02:52 pm
Ragman, I am certain that Francis is referring to meesa. That was an odd thread.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 02:55 pm
Ragman wrote:
To whom are you referring? Curious to know.

I was referring, as Letty noted, to the poster in the thread Noddy linked to..
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 02:57 pm
Ragman--

I didn't cite the thread to hold you up as a Bad Example. I think DAVID sauntered down to the Lion's Den and the Lions roared.

Francis--

I'd like to think that DAVID is not a typical American--but he might be.
He certainly considers himself a mover and shaker in this weary world.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 02:58 pm
Francis wrote:

Btw I went back and edited/removed my last response to the 'In God We Trust' thread so as to remove some of the tone of rudeness.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 02:59 pm
I saw that thread. The way that I respond to threads like those, is by not responding.

It is classical extinction theory. Don't reinforce a behavior, and it will go away!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 02:59 pm
Letty wrote:
Ragman, I am certain that Francis is referring to meesa. That was an odd thread.

thanks. I sort of thought so, but I wanted to be sure as I had a moment of introspection.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 03:01 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I saw that thread. The way that I respond to threads like those, is by not responding.

It is classical extinction theory. Don't reinforce a behavior, and it will go away!

Yes, at times I have that kind of restraint, but at others I feel like amusing myself. Perhaps it's not so amusing to others.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 03:03 pm
Ragman- I find that those sorts of posters love to be the center of controversy. I don't find it amusing.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 03:05 pm
noted
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 03:11 pm
Why is it so much easier to ignore new, upstart trolls than our old, home-grown, entrenched trolls?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 03:16 pm
Maybe because they are part of our own neurosis? :wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 03:17 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Why is it so much easier to ignore new, upstart trolls than our old, home-grown, entrenched trolls?

It's like having crazy Aunt Tilly. She drives everyone nuts, but everybody is used to her.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 03:37 pm
We sort of have a vested interest and we expect that there'll be a response.
0 Replies