Things that well-meaning A2Kers do that I find horribly rude

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 03:46 pm
Many people are very offended by the thought of a silly prankster posting about horrible personal problems and getting a kick out of the sympathy it elicits.

It's a dirty thing to do and understandably irksome but think about it for a minute. If you are right, and you do not bring up what harm is done? Perhaps some idiot gets some twisted kicks, but that's not nearly as bad as opining on your doubt if you are wrong.

Some personal problems are greatly exacerbated by having people doubt them. I recently was working with a girl who'd been abused by her step dad and whose step mother refused to believe her. She left home at a young age and is understandably very very sensitive to any doubt about her allegations since her own family wrote it off and attacked her character instead of facing the harder truth of having a pervert dad.

I can't imagine any of you doing this in person so why do you do it online? Callous doubt can be very painful. Why risk it when being right carries no upside?

And here's another one: the anti-homework crusade. Asking for help on a forum is a skill that modern education is greatly aided by. Instead of chiding people if they are asking lazy questions why not engage them and help them be less lazy? Why drive them away with rudeness? If you are legitimately concerned with them from an academic standpoint being abrasive is not the best way to help them and if you aren't legitimately concerned with helping them why bother to go out of your way to scold them?

And here is another one related to the homework: the "search google" answer. If they are on this forum they usually got here by a search engine (given that we don't advertise) anyway so they know what a search engine is. Maybe they aren't using the right words and in that case you could be more helpful suggesting keyword refinements (knowing what to search for is a skill since search engines don't understand language as much as try to match it to their semantic algorithms). Furthermore, when you answer even the most obvious question you are adding another answer to the internet and subsequently the search engines.

In case you haven't noticed searching google won't return any answers if it hasn't already been posted online. Even if the answer is already online maybe you will get it online with new keywords and help future people find information.

If you can't help people, why waste your time and theirs trying to make them feel bad about their question? And if they are being legitimately lazy why not try to constructively steer them towards a better way of going about it?

I know I've been guilty of these things myself, and my intention isn't to make people feel bad about their well-meaning gaffes so much as to try to point out factors they might not have been aware of that might cause them to try to respond more constructively.

Anyway, this is my rant for the day, and I must end it here because I feel rude enough as it is for the day. ;-)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,322 • Replies: 57
No top replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 04:57 pm
craven wrote :

Quote:
And here's another one: the anti-homework crusade. Asking for help on a forum is a skill that modern education is greatly aided by. Instead of chiding people if they are asking lazy questions why not engage them and help them be less lazy? Why drive them away with rudeness? If you are legitimately concerned with them from an academic standpoint being abrasive is not the best way to help them and if you aren't legitimately concerned with helping them why bother to go out of your way to scold them?

i certainly agree ! one should probably not simply provide an "easy answer" but instead try and guide the questioner to the answer .
so not only will the questioner be helped to find the particular answer , but may learn how to find answers to other questions in he future .
hbg
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 11:28 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Things that well-meaning A2Kers do that I find horribly rude

I find it tacky when people feature their own posts....

Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 11:53 am
hamburger wrote:
i certainly agree ! one should probably not simply provide an "easy answer" but instead try and guide the questioner to the answer .
so not only will the questioner be helped to find the particular answer , but may learn how to find answers to other questions in he future .

I have come to that point where I try and help students "learn how to learn". It was not always so. Some time back, I used to get very annoyed when a student obviously wanted someone else to do his work for him. In fact, recently some student asked for an answer to a homework question "from someone who has already done that homework". I don't believe that I responded to that person.

As far as the relationship questions are concerned, unless something is obviously fraudulent, (remember Aunt what's her name on Abuzz, and Depends?) I automatically assume that it is the truth. I figure that there are so many commonalities in relationship questions, that even if the writer is fooling us, there may be someone else out there who can benefit from my thoughts and insights.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 12:00 pm
It wasn't Depends, Phoenix. Aunt Deborah was inquiring about Pampers Points. I seriously considered "Aunt Deborah" as a user name.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 12:03 pm
I agree with Craven. If people don't want to help, they should just not help. I've been trying to work with a couple of students and then on at least one occasion, had a member suggest I shouldn't. I thought I may be crossing an ethical line and stopped.

We are (I think) a source for help.

I have been guilty of the first complaint as well. I guess I'll take my own advice on that in the future. Sometimes, I've thought the person would be better served knowing that they've been found out. But, ok Craven.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 12:06 pm
roger wrote:
It wasn't Depends, Phoenix. Aunt Deborah was inquiring about Pampers Points. I seriously considered "Aunt Deborah" as a user name.

Oh damn, Roger. I couldn't remember Aunt Deborah's name, and I substituted Depends for Pampers. Shows you where my head is at! Embarrassed
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 12:24 pm
I think the English tutoring sessions for Chinese students is quite flourishing.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 12:37 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
I think the English tutoring sessions for Chinese students is quite flourishing.

I think so too, and I think that it is great. I do see though, a qualitative difference in the questions that the Chinese students are asking. In many cases, it is a matter of writing a sentence or paragraph, and wanting advice on the proper construction. In most cases, I perceive that the student has attempted the work, but is unsure that he/she is correct.

With many of the western students, I get the sense that he/she has not even attempted to try to do the work. And that pisses me off.

As far as knowing how to use a search engine, I would bet my last buck that the kid who does not know how to research a homework question knows how to find and download songs for his I-Pod, or find videos on You Tube! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 01:25 pm
I usually try to follow Thumper's Mother's advice: "If you can't think of anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Phoenix observed:

Quote:
With many of the western students, I get the sense that he/she has not even attempted to try to do the work. And that pisses me off.

Some of these kids announce up front that they want help--STAT--with their dumb homework.

Others are obviously hoping that a kind A2K Member will do their take-home exam.

Sometimes I forget to listen to Thumper's Mother.

Starting in the New Year.....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 02:04 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
As far as knowing how to use a search engine, I would bet my last buck that the kid who does not know how to research a homework question knows how to find and download songs for his I-Pod, or find videos on You Tube!

ability to use keywords effectively is not something that comes easily to a lot of people - even people who know how to use the internet well. it's a very specific skill/talent. sometimes I think it's a bit like musicality - you can teach music theory but you can't give someone rhythm.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 02:08 pm
ehBeth wrote:
sometimes I think it's a bit like musicality - you can teach music theory but you can't give someone rhythm.

Right. Let alone making them understand a symphony.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 02:11 pm
ehBeth- You may have a point there. I have found it incredibly easy to find stuff on the net. Maybe I am just assuming that other people can do the same.

The thing is, even if a person's web surfing skills do not come naturally, I do believe that anybody with an average intelligence can become at least competent at it.

I still maintain that a lot of young people are not willing to put out the effort to at least try.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 02:16 pm
Don't feel bad, Phoenix. I would have said Baby Wipes.

When I worked as a university teacher I sometimes felt I had an adversarial relationship with the few students who were prone to "cheat." Fortunately, I retired before the advent of google search: that would have been my downfall. Now I refrain from providing "answers" to on-line lazies. I just ignore them. I guess Craven's suggestion would be more constructive.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 02:18 pm
How were you with using library card catalogues, Phoenix?

Some people always found that easy. Others struggled, even after taking classes offered by libraries on how to use those little boxes. Key-words make sense to some people - others can get better at it - others never quite understand how you/I/others can find things.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 02:22 pm
ehBeth and Francis, nor can you actually teach (in the narrow sense of the term) them to appreciate/enjoy/love music.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 02:24 pm
ehBeth- I never had any problem with card catalogs. When I went back to college in my 30's, I had to research a lot of journal articles in the library. Never had a problem. Used to treat it like a game, sort of a "treasure hunt".

J.L. -OK Baby wipes are close in concept to Pampers. But Depends???? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 02:25 pm
So, JLN, that's just as about everything in life...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 02:26 pm
Phoenix, you stimulated the thought that life is a treasure hunt.

Francis, yes!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 02:28 pm
Glad this issue was brought up:

Being Abuzz and A2K veterans you folks have undoubtedly have seen my responses in the past and recently. Am I doing this (rudeness)? Sometimes I may resort to my American style of humor which could be lost on someone from a foreign culture. I have tried to be understanding and I think for the most part I'm more so than I once was. I have matured online, too. I think I am a good A2K citizen...90% of the time...or am I just kidding myself?

I am for the most part.....but sometimes my acerbic or critical side comes out. It's only natural...or IS IT?

PS : I admit that I do have trouble with someone asking the same type of language question over and over again without thinking about whether or not the same rules apply as to the last time they asked about the grammar syntax question. However, if I'm annoyed then I try to either avoid answering or refer them to where they can find the answer.
0 Replies