Non-believing US voters feel demonized

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 10:49 am
Non-believing US voters feel demonized
Dec 18, 2007
AFP

One presidential hopeful is a preacher, another proudly Mormon, and most openly tout their Christianity. In an arena where faith can make or break a politician, the one in 10 Americans who profess no religion feel left in the cold.

"They're very disconcerted," said Darren Sherkat, an atheist sociology professor specializing in religion at Southern Illinois University.

"They're horrified by both the Democratic and Republican rhetoric surrounding religion -- that people who are not religious ... are immoral, that they're not qualified to serve in public office," he said.

Ian Thomas, 25, got involved in political campaigning as a student and in 2005 ran for a place on the school board in his local district in Pennsylvania.

Days before the vote, a county council member emailed local community groups disparaging Thomas for having an atheist bumper sticker on his car, and for writing a letter about atheism to a local newspaper.

"They are entitled to their beliefs and free speech but it doesn't make a sound foundation for elected officials who makes our laws ... to promote an Atheist that we know anything about," read the ungrammatical email, shown to AFP.

"I was very, very insulted," Thomas said.

The small-town incident was part of a wider pattern of "disenfranchisement" of non-believers, according to Margaret Downey, president of the educational organization Atheist Alliance International.

She claims atheists are "the fastest-growing minority in America."

But they are also "the least tolerated group by conventional standards of religious toleration in the US," Sherkat said.

While church and state are constitutionally separate, politicians must reckon with a largely religious electorate -- some 160 million out of the 200 million adults considered themselves Christian, according to 2001 figures from the US Census Bureau.

Critics complain that candidates face a public "test" of their faith credentials.

"Atheists and agnostics find all the candidates distressingly religious," said Michael Shermer, an atheist writer and publisher of Skeptic magazine.

"Legally, there is no religious test for office, but culturally there obviously is," he said, as polls showed Republican Mike Huckabee, an ordained Baptist minister, surging ahead in key early nominating states.

Religion surfaced prominently when Huckabee's rival Mitt Romney, a member of the Mormon church, made a bid this month to reassure the powerful conservative Christian voting bloc.

"I will take care to separate the affairs of government from any religion, but I will not separate us from the God who gave us liberty," Romney said, fighting to dispel mistrust of his denomination, which some dismiss as a sect.

"Yeah, well, what about the approximately 30 million American nonbelievers, Mitt?" Shermer retorted, in comments to AFP. "You have no plans to represent us, or to protect and defend the constitution for us?"

More than one in 10 US adults have no religious affiliation, according to the census figures. But a Gallup poll in February found more than half of voters would not back an otherwise well-qualified candidate from their favored party if that person was an atheist.

"We're very saddened that people walk into the voting booth and do bring their prejudices, in terms of only voting for people who believe in God," said Lori Lipman Brown, head of the Secular Coalition for America, a Washington-based group campaigning for separation of church and state.

"People have this prejudice against non-theists and think that we don't have values or morals or share their ideas on issues, or live compassionate lives," she said. "All of which is not true. But they're going to vote based on those prejudices."

Non-believers would not necessarily reject a candidate who was religious, according to campaigners.

"Non-theists don't have any problem with people having their religion ... You shouldn't be walking into the booth thinking,'I'm going to vote for or against someone because of what he or she believes,'" says Lipman Brown.

"The fair question would be to ask ... will you impose your theology on civil law?"

"There is no candidate that an atheist would vote for ... other than maybe Ron Paul," Shermer said, naming a Tennessee lawmaker, a long-shot Republican contender.

"He's a libertarian who feels absoutely (for) separation of church and state."

"Many of the candidates would be acceptable to me regardless of their religious faith," Stark told AFP. "Jimmy Carter (who became president in 1977) was perhaps the most personally strident conservative Christian -- and I think he did a wonderful job."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 410 • Replies: 7
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:37 pm
In general, atheists just skip the religious part of the campaign, except to oppose the zealots that work to make religion the law of the land.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 10:02 pm
No, I don't feel demonized, but I do feel unconnected.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 01:01 am
Oh what a load of utter crap!

Considering that Non-believers constitute no more than 20% of the American populace, they have an inordinate amount of influence.

But then they are right and so should have an overwhelming disproportionate influence on our society.

Right?

Liberals adore victims and so wish to be among them. What better victimhood than a non-Believer in America? Protected from all harm and yet able to fixate on minority status.

In so many nations our friends on the left give free passes, non-believing would mean, at best, persecution and at worse death.

But it's all cool because we know that the greatest threat to mankind is the intolerance of Americans.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 01:22 am
Atheists/Agnostics make up 20% of the nation.
Blacks make up 12%.
Gays 7%.

Atheists should have a much larger influence than blacks or gays based on numbers...yet we don't. The 20% number is probably even larger considering how many 'closeted' atheists there are.

I am pissed aobut this fact and it is something that I will start doing something about....my new year's resolution.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 01:35 am
maporsche wrote:
Atheists/Agnostics make up 20% of the nation.
Blacks make up 12%.
Gays 7%.

Atheists should have a much larger influence than blacks or gays based on numbers...yet we don't. The 20% number is probably even larger considering how many 'closeted' atheists there are.

I am pissed aobut this fact and it is something that I will start doing something about....my new year's resolution.

All three contingents have far more clout than their numbers would call for.

That's a country that doesn't allow the majority to suppress the minority.

This is all good, unless the minorities demand greater representation and influence. I will oppose such demands and not feel the least bit racist, homophobic or theocratic.
0 Replies

vid

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 02:43 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Oh what a load of utter crap!

Considering that Non-believers constitute no more than 20% of the American populace, they have an inordinate amount of influence.

But then they are right and so should have an overwhelming disproportionate influence on our society.

Right?

And if the remaining 80% of believers in the USA consisted of a 60/40 split in favour of Muslims, I suppose you'd feel exactly the same way about having religion dominating politics?

Yeh, right. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

vid

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 03:07 am
Mike Huck - now there's an example of how "Christian" a politician can be.

One minute he's burbling on (in a quite cynical move to get the "religious" vote, IMO) about how Americans should "pray a little more", and signing bibles at rallies etc., and then, on the subject of Medicare, he comes out with -
"And I just want to remind everybody when all the old hippies find out that they get free drugs, just wait until what that's going to cost out there".

A truly Christian man if ever there was one, as long as it gets him into power that is, and he doesn't have to do any of this loving thy neighbour bulls**t when he gets into office.

The irony in all this is that, if the second coming actually took place in the US, Jesus mark 2 would almost certainly be vilified by so called "religious" politicians as the epitome of a liberal leftie.
0 Replies