Autism and other Special Needs

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 03:04 pm
HI. I am a single mother, age 22, of a wonderful little 3 year old. He is being tested for Autism and other various conditions. He still babbles in most respects and has a very difficult time learning some things. He is very smart, but it is a test of finding ways to teach him. I was wondering if there were any other mothers here with similar problems. Perhaps we can swap notes, ideas, stories, support, ect.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 616 • Replies: 7
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 03:29 pm
I am not the mother of an autistic child, but I am a new teacher. Look to teachers as a source of information and support. I just started working with a boy in second grade on the spectrum. I'll pop back in to this thread when I have more time to respond, if you want me to.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 03:39 pm
Check to see whather your school system has an early intervention
program. My son Clive (not his real name) was special needs and was
enrolled in a pre-school program that helped him immensely.
0 Replies

shootingstars

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 04:56 pm
Michael is currently in Therapy to help, and being tested for his Early Intervention for the Special Preschool class.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 05:32 pm
You're taking all the right steps, Shootingstar. It can't be any easier being a single parent.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 08:46 am
Find out whether there is a Parents' Group associated with your local
Special Ed Dept. They can be a good source of information and you may
find another parent or two at a meeting with whom you can connect on a
personal level. But be careful at first. People react in many different
ways to having a special needs kid.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 08:54 am
there's a father here with similar problems.

My boy was diagnosed with non tractable seizure disorder in pre school and was labeled Educably Mentally Handicapped as well.

Although his stepmother was a great help and did more than her share in his daily care when he was younger, he has always been pretty much my responsibility at the end of the day.

He is now 25 and still lives with me. His IQ is around 70 and after every treatment and medication known to man that he's a candidate for he still has seizures.

A handicapped child is both a permanent joy and burden. It is not easy.... but then it's not so bad either. My advice is to do all you can, pray (or wish) for patience and good luck.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 09:26 am
Shootingstar--

Being a single parent of a "normal" child is difficult and being the single parent of a special needs child is exceedingly difficult.

Are you able to get away from your son for a few hours every week to recharge your batteries? You can't be a loving mother unless you take care of yourself.

Welcome to A2K. We're always here for chatting.
0 Replies