Toyota vs. Honda

Slappy Doo Hoo

Tue 18 Dec, 2007 10:21 pm
Obviously long term reliability is yet to be determined, but they've got some excellent vehicles out now: the new Malibu(which beat the Accord & Altima out in motortrend's comparison, came in 2nd to the Camry), the Cadillac CTS, which is the new Motortrend Car Of The Year, and the Buick Enclave, which supply is less than demand right now.

GM also made a very reliable V6 for a long time. Think the 3400 motor?

And I've always been a bigger fan of imports. Toyota, Honda & Nissan were in another league for a long time.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Tue 18 Dec, 2007 10:33 pm
Slap, I am a long time GM guy, but we are getting our asses kicked....
0 Replies

Montana

Wed 19 Dec, 2007 12:03 am
I bought a 2001 Camry going on 2 years ago and I love it. Never had any problems other than I think the radio sucks.

Never had a Honda so I can't really compare.

I will say that I did some major research for a few years before settling on the Camry and it seemed that all the reviews were pretty even between the two.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Wed 19 Dec, 2007 06:31 pm
Funny you should say that, Montana. That's the one complaint I'd make about my mother's car -- the radio sucks on her Camry too! Laughing

Slappy you are a gentleman and an automotive scholar! I looked up the Equinox V6, and GM did indeed put a 3400 motor in it. I also found this review on autosite.com, which bears out your comments about the Malibu:

2005 Chevrolet Equinox Preview

"Making 185 horsepower at 5,200 rpm and 210 lb.-ft. of torque at 3,800 rpm, the Equinox's V6 is the venerable overhead-cam Vortec 3400 engine that has been deployed in everything from the Chevrolet Venture to the Pontiac Grand Am. We haven't driven the Equinox; in other GM products this motor offers decent power off the line but becomes winded at mid- to high-rpm driving. Power delivery is somewhat unrefined, with plenty of engine racket accompanying forward velocity. Why GM didn't design the Chevy Equinox to use the Malibu sedan's more powerful 3500 V6 is anyone's guess."

(italics are mine) Sounds like the V6 isn't bad, but the Malibu is much better!
0 Replies

hamburger

Wed 19 Dec, 2007 06:43 pm
(still driving my 99 olds-intrigue with the twin-cam 3.5 litre short-star engine . an outstanding runner , but a tad heavy on gas - regular - in city winter driving . and i wouldn't take it out in the winter without snowtires !!!) .

consumers report has NOT given the camry V 6 a "recommended" rating for the new model . they give a slight nod to honda for being a bit more up-to-date . the civic automatic now has a 5 speed transmission - might be our next car , but i'm really waiting for a good turbo diesel .
hbg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Wed 19 Dec, 2007 07:57 pm
(shudder) GM.. .. bllllleeeach
0 Replies

Rockhead

Wed 19 Dec, 2007 08:09 pm
There ain't a Toyota built will move snow like old Betsy....

(she's fun in the mud, too.)

GM has it's uses....
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Wed 19 Dec, 2007 08:21 pm
Stray Cat, I'm just talking about the brand new Malibu. Just hit showroom floors about a month ago. It's based on last year's Saturn Aura, but improved. No clue about the V6 version(if it's based on the 3400, ect), other than it has around 250hp.

The previous generation Malibu was terrible overall. Very basic car, nothing much to offer. It couldn't be named in the same breath as Accord/Camry, the new one is a competitor.

The radio on the new Camry isn't bad for a stock stereo...

(here's the comparo: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0802_midsize_sedan_comparison )
0 Replies

Montana

Wed 19 Dec, 2007 09:51 pm
I'm sure after recieving enough complaints about the radio, they were smart to fix that issue.
The radio in my car is bad enough to where I plan on replacing, maybe with satellite.

I gotta have my tunes, man Cool
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Wed 19 Dec, 2007 10:07 pm
No sound quality?

Easy fix...bumpin' system, dawg!
0 Replies

Montana

Wed 19 Dec, 2007 10:14 pm
You lost me Slappy!

The reception in my area sucks in general and the stations fade in and out, but it didn't do that in my old Olds!
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Fri 21 Dec, 2007 09:20 pm

Thanks for that article, Slappy, it was interesting. I'm blown away that the Malibu did so well in the comparison test -- even beating out the Accord!

Maybe GM really is giving Japan a run for its money. I didn't think I'd live to see the day! Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 21 Dec, 2007 10:26 pm
Last time (2004) I rented a Malibu to drive back and forth through California, I said never again. Forget the reasons; maybe that/those are on some old a2k thread. My business partner wouldn't take a Malibu on rental either, and I did, shining her on. Was sorry. Glad to get that baby back to the barn.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Sat 22 Dec, 2007 01:50 am
Seriously, the new Malibu is absolutely nothing like any sedan GM has ever put out. I've always hated domestics, and this car is legit. The interior/fit & finish blows away my Camry's. Haven't driven it, but the reviews are great. On top of it, 100K powertrain warranty. The one downside is poor resale of a GM. Another shout out for GM: the new Caddy CTS's interior is now beyond BMW & Audi. Granted, I'd still take a BMW, but that's personal bias.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Sat 22 Dec, 2007 01:55 am
Slappy, you gat a new job sellin' Chevy's....

If not, ya might consider a part time gig. (chicks love car salesmen...)
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Sat 22 Dec, 2007 10:35 am
Rockhead wrote:
Slappy, you gat a new job sellin' Chevy's....

If not, ya might consider a part time gig. (chicks love car salesmen...)

F**k no. That was me in a former life, and I ain't going back.
0 Replies

adityaroy

Wed 8 May, 2019 02:18 am
Each of them has their pros and cons. However, there are some striking differences between the two:
Honda:
- It's more comfortable
- It's quieter
- It does not have more options unlike Toyota

Toyota:
- It has more options such as Toyota SUV and sedans
- It has more speed
- It has the latest technology incorporated
Toyota and Honda, both have great cars; it depends on what your needs are. Vehicles from both brands are value for money.
- Toyota
0 Replies

adityaroy

Wed 8 May, 2019 02:18 am
Each of them has their pros and cons. However, there are some striking differences between the two:
Honda:
- It's more comfortable
- It's quieter
- It does not have more options unlike Toyota

Toyota:
- It has more options such as Toyota SUV and sedans
- It has more speed
- It has the latest technology incorporated
Toyota and Honda, both have great cars; it depends on what your needs are. Vehicles from both brands are value for money.
- Toyota
0 Replies