Myths About Canada

Setanta

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 10:35 am
There may be some Scots out your way. The Hudson's Bay Company employed a boat load of Scots--literally. Each year, the supply ship which sailed out to York Factory on Hudson's Bay to bring in a new load of trade goods and pick up the years cargo of pelts stopped in the islands of Scotland to recruit employees. As a matter of fact, they were short Scots, too. The Royal Navy used to press gang heavily in the islands, but wouldn't take anyone under 5'6" in height--the HBC got the leftovers.

Additionally, there was Lord Selkirk who started a goofy, quasi-utopian settlement in Manitoba using the dispossessed Highland crofters who were becoming homeless wanderers in larger and larger numbers in Scotland--his settlement was on the Red River in what is now Manitoba. The settlement was a signal failure. It could have succeeded, but the métis attacked them, spurred on by the Northwest Company, which was HBC's competition (HBC still had a claim to the land, and had give a huge tract to Selkirk).

Many of those who survived took employment with NWC or HBC, and of course, those two companies eventually merged. A good many Scotsmen, therefore, were among the original explorers and trading post employees in BC. How much they affected the population i couldn't say.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 10:38 am
Didn't Selkirk also start a Scottish population in P.E.I. as well? I could be wrong (memory does that) but I do seem to remember something about this.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 10:41 am
Someone would have to track it down, although it wouldn't surprise me. I know about Selkirk and his settlement in "Assiniboia" (that was the name he gave to the land HBC granted to him) by learning the history of the HBC.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 10:45 am
According to Wikipedia, you are correct. This is the section on Canada from their biography of Selkirk:

When he unexpectedly inherited the estate, he used his money and political connections to purchase land and settle poor Scottish farmers in Belfast, Prince Edward Island in 1803 and Upper Canada in 1804. He traveled extensively in North America, and his approach and work gained him some fame; in 1807 he was named Lord-Lieutenant of Kirkcudbright District in Scotland, and was elected a fellow of the Royal Society of London.

In order to continue his work re-settling Scottish farmers, Selkirk asked the British government for a land grant in the Red River Valley, a part of Rupert's Land. The government refused, as the Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) had been granted a fur trading monopoly on that land. However Selkirk was very determined, and he and Sir Alexander Mackenzie bought enough shares in HBC to let them gain control of the land. This position of power, along with his marriage connections (his wife Jean, was the sister of Andrew Wedderburn, a member of the HBC governing committee) allowed him to acquire a land grant called Assiniboia to serve as an agricultural settlement for the company.

As part owner of HBC, Selkirk also wanted to stop the North West Company (NWC) from competing with HBC for furs in the region. By placing the Red River Colony astride the trade routes used by the NWC coureur des bois, Selkirk could cut off the easy flow of furs. However, the local Métis people who already inhabited the area had long-standing ties with the NWC, and refused to accept Selkirk's control over the area.

The first colonization attempt started in 1812, consisting of 128 men led by the new governor, Miles Macdonell. Arriving late in the season they had just arrived and built homes when the winter cut off any hope of planting, and the colony became reliant on the support of the Métis. Even with a full growing season the next year, the colony never thrived. Because of a shortage of food in 1814, Macdonell issued the Pemmican Proclamation, prohibiting the export of food from the entire area. The Métis, who made a living selling Pemmican to the NWC traders, responded by arresting Macdonell and burning the settlement

Selkirk's response was to retaliate by sending more people to occupy the Red River Region, and appointed Robert Semple to act as governor. The Métis were angered by Selkirk's plan to bring a thousand families to the region within ten years, fearing loss of their lands. By 1816, the violence intensified between the Métis and the newcomers, which resulted in the Battle of Seven Oaks, causing the deaths of 25 of Lord Selkirk's men, including the newly appointed governor. NWC partners were accused of having aided the Métis attackers.

Selkirk, accompanied by Swiss mercenaries and soldiers, occupied the NWC's post at Fort William. They arrested several of its partners including Simon Fraser and William McGillivray, for whom Fort William was named. Selkirk planned to have those arrested transported by canoe to Montreal where they would be tried for the deaths of his men. But nine of the prisoners, including Kenneth Mackenzie (a NWC partner), a British sargeant, two of the Swiss mercenaries and six native guides, drowned in a storm at Maple Island near Batchawana Bay, Ontario.

Arriving in Montreal, Selkirk was charged with responsibility for the deaths of the nine prisoners, and lost multiple court battles over the incident. Two years after his raid on Fort William, Selkirk returned to England. Suffering from tuberculosis, bankrupt, his reputation tarnished, he died in 1820. The HBC lost interest in the Red River project, and closed it down in the mid-1800's.
0 Replies

alexmen

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 12:21 am
Quebec
Quebec will be a country soon, i hate so much canadians
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 01:32 am
How can you tell who is Canadian?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 05:46 am
If Quebec leaves, it will shorten the commute between Ottawaand Halifax.

I worked at the Chateau Frontenac years ago while I attended courses at Laval U. I found that Quebeckers were, on the most part, not offensive , mostly washed, and the women had their legs shaved.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 07:33 am
Quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/nl/features/gatching/
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 11:11 am
I answered 7 out of 10 questions correctly, must be in my bones.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 11:21 am
Quote:
Correct!
You answered 9 out of 10 questions correctly.
Would you like to try again?

Just to show that an "Ignorant Yank" pays attention and listens ta da people up dere, awright bye! sez me mudder.

I only got the "trouters SPecial" incorrect. The rest were pretty universal phrases in the Maritimes.

"At the dockside--Ey dere , need a gaffer? me bye 'll be dere ((sucks in air to say eeehhhhhh))))"
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 01:35 pm
Where in the world is British Columbia?

Encyclopedia of BC

Hoser Hair Metal

Can-Rock Craziness

No cheatin' neither.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 05:52 pm
A few blocks away is a shop called "Kingston Pizza." There is no particular reason to associate Kingston with pizza (the Sweetiepie Girl was born and raised in Kingston, and she doesn't get the association), and, in fact, the shop is owned and run by some Chinese folks. They serve a really rather good pizza at incredibly low prices. They also sell pot stickers, fried wonton and spring rolls. And, they sell hot chicken wings and poutine.

Only in Canada.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 06:39 pm
Culinary mêlée!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 06:42 pm
Pizza szichuan, with poutine.MMMMMM- mmmmmm

Watch it Im gonna hurl.
0 Replies