1
   

Mame's Water-Softening Advice

 
 
Mame
 
Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 07:15 pm
I understand that...

...if I decide to go with a new softener, [I should] look at the Clack WS-1 control valve. It's the latest improved version of the Fleck line invented by three ex Fleck engineers.

But then I read:

...you can get 25 years of reliable service from a Fleck control valve shop for a replacement softener with a Fleck control valve. You KNOW what to expect as far as service and reliability from them... why accept less? (good question)... and then this...

Fleck control valves have the longest and most reliable in the field service history of ANY brand. Fleck control valves are the largest selling brand worldwide. For a generic, industry standard softener they can not be beat as your own experience shows.

So who's right here? I'm confused. I no longer know what to think!

Because I also read that the Meyers wasn't too reliable:

"My Meyers quit on me a couple of years ago (water would go out of the salt tank and was overflowing out the overflow pipe if I remember correctly) and I took a valve apart and found it seized. I polished it with crocus cloth, lubed it with plumbers' lube and it's worked fine since. I guess I got lucky." (Well, that's not MY definition of 'getting lucky')...

As well, EcoWater is dealer install only, North Star is cash and carry - you install. (Personally, I find this a bit bothersome, since I don't have the time or inclination to install).

And as a summary, I read:

The North Star is an overpriced Ecowater made the same as a Sears Kenmore, GE at Home Depot, Whirlpool at Lowe's and mortonsalt,com, softener in a two separate tank version sold through plumbing supply houses. It uses the same low quality rotary disc valve the others do. Stay away from all of them if you want a softener that will last as the Fleck valve did on your Meyers.

(I am soooo confused!!)

This looks like the best advice:

...the best solution to your problem is to buy a brand new softener with a modern control valve. It was suggested that you deal with a local H2O dealer that sells, installs and services quality equipment. Shop around if you can and check references.

(What I want to know is, what's the diff between a Clack and a Fleck?)

But this summed it up best:


It was hilarious reading the monster thread below (I can't even find it again now) where all the experts are contradicting and insulting each other. What I wanna know is who's right and who's fulla $h!t ?

Yes I SEE that!! It's hilarious, interesting and confusing though. How can so many "experts" be so opposed in their views and opinions? Errr maybe you shouldn't answer that. But I'm the kinda fella to take it all in and filter it through my own noggin and decide what's best for ME.

~~~~

Well, I second that opinion!!

You know that this should be in the Humour forum, right?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,576 • Replies: 15
No top replies

 
H2O MAN
 
  1  
Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 07:39 pm
Re: Mame's Water-Softening Advice
Mame wrote:


Yes I SEE that!! It's hilarious, interesting and confusing though. How can so many "experts" be so opposed in their views and opinions?


You know that this should be in the Humour forum, right?


If you really want to have fun ... read a few M14 vs. M16 or 7.62mm x 51 NATO vs. 5.56mm x 45 NATO debates.


BTW, EcoWater makes North Star.

Cool
0 Replies
 
Mame
 
  1  
Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 07:45 pm
Whatever!



(and I'm sure they do a grand job)



Laughing
0 Replies
 
H2O MAN
 
  1  
Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 07:56 pm
Mame, when was the last time you had some really hard H2O?
0 Replies
 
Mame
 
  1  
Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 07:58 pm
Laughing

Must admit, it's been a while...


Laughing
0 Replies
 
shewolfnm
 
  1  
Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 08:00 pm
Surprised Laughing
0 Replies
 
Mame
 
  1  
Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 08:06 pm
(pssst... Shewolf... I don't even know him!)
0 Replies
 
H2O MAN
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 08:22 am
Mame wrote:
(pssst... Shewolf... I don't even know him!)


Smile
0 Replies
 
gustavratzenhofer
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 08:32 am
I have the hardest water in the county. Something about the swamp I guess.

And by water I mean.... oh.... never mind.
0 Replies
 
H2O MAN
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 08:39 am
Some women have found that a hard man is good to find...
0 Replies
 
Zozzie
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 08:54 am
Re: Mame's Water-Softening Advice
Mame wrote:
Because I also read that the Meyers wasn't too reliable: [/b]

"My Meyers quit on me a couple of years ago (water would go out of the salt tank and was overflowing out the overflow pipe if I remember correctly) and I took a valve apart and found it seized. I polished it with crocus cloth, lubed it with plumbers' lube and it's worked fine since. I guess I got lucky."

That was my quote but taken in context it says nothing bad about Myers softeners. I'd had that softener for about 26 years of faultless operation(that means ZEEERO problems) when that valve seized. I'd say that was VERY reliable! I'm a real handy chap (I'm have a auto mechanic's license but haven't worked at that job for many years) and had fun fixing the valve.

So I was looking for another Myers. I must add this here - Myers (Kitchener Ontario Canada) makes no part of their softeners. They just fit the parts together (mostly Fleck valves) and re-sell with their name on the tank. I placed two phonecalls and left messages. No-one got back to me. Two days later, after a "sorry you missed out on my purchase" email to their boss, he got back to me and said he was sorry as they were short-staffed and didn't return my call. I'd moved on by then and made my purchase.

Quote:
Well, that's not MY definition of 'getting lucky')

Mine neither but it fitted the occasion here. :wink:

To your frustrations of what to buy -

Summing up all my findings (chronicled in my post), I think that either Fleck or Clack will be a fine choice (I feel WW4 coming on already and will maybe live to regret that statement!) with the major differences being solely limited to the opinions of the combatants here on this fine forum who have taken residence in one camp or the other and exist equally to help us Newbs and to antagonize each other. Laughing
0 Replies
 
H2O MAN
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 11:02 am
For the rest of you:

If you really want a softener with a Clack valve look at
Hydrospring high flow softeners from waterworldusa.com

HTH ~
0 Replies
 
Mame
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 11:58 am
thanks for the advice, waterboy (H20MAN!) - can't wait!


heh heh heh
0 Replies
 
shewolfnm
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 01:03 pm
mmmm hard men in water




oh wait


that aint what 'yall are talking about is it.. Embarrassed
0 Replies
 
H2O MAN
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 01:55 pm
Mame wrote:
thanks for the advice, waterboy (H20MAN!) - can't wait!


heh heh heh


Cool
0 Replies
 
Mame
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 02:06 pm
Re: Mame's Water-Softening Advice
Zozzie wrote:
Mame wrote:
Because I also read that the Meyers wasn't too reliable: [/b]

"My Meyers quit on me a couple of years ago (water would go out of the salt tank and was overflowing out the overflow pipe if I remember correctly) and I took a valve apart and found it seized. I polished it with crocus cloth, lubed it with plumbers' lube and it's worked fine since. I guess I got lucky."

That was my quote but taken in context it says nothing bad about Myers softeners. I'd had that softener for about 26 years of faultless operation(that means ZEEERO problems) when that valve seized. I'd say that was VERY reliable! I'm a real handy chap (I'm have a auto mechanic's license but haven't worked at that job for many years) and had fun fixing the valve.

So I was looking for another Myers. I must add this here - Myers (Kitchener Ontario Canada) makes no part of their softeners. They just fit the parts together (mostly Fleck valves) and re-sell with their name on the tank. I placed two phonecalls and left messages. No-one got back to me. Two days later, after a "sorry you missed out on my purchase" email to their boss, he got back to me and said he was sorry as they were short-staffed and didn't return my call. I'd moved on by then and made my purchase.

Quote:
Well, that's not MY definition of 'getting lucky')

Mine neither but it fitted the occasion here. :wink:

To your frustrations of what to buy -

Summing up all my findings (chronicled in my post), I think that either Fleck or Clack will be a fine choice (I feel WW4 coming on already and will maybe live to regret that statement!) with the major differences being solely limited to the opinions of the combatants here on this fine forum who have taken residence in one camp or the other and exist equally to help us Newbs and to antagonize each other. Laughing


Actually, I was dispensing advice, not asking for it Very Happy but thanks for your trouble.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Poo-tee-weet? - Question by boomerang
Let's just rename them "Rapeublicans" - Discussion by DrewDad
Which wood laminate flooring? - Question by Buffalo
Metal Roofs pros & con s - Question by Swimpy
Buying a new entry door - Question by sozobe
Need water help - Question by richierich
Lifesource Water versus a 'salt' system - Discussion by USBound
Rainsoft - Discussion by richb1
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Mame's Water-Softening Advice
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 01/20/2022 at 03:20:14