Get yer polls, bets, numbers & pretty graphs! Elections 2008

fbaezer

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 03:00 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
Wonder why there is such a sharp difference in polling trends between the two graphs....

The trend is similar. The outlook doesn't seem so, because the movements between one poll and the other (in Gallup) look sharper.

In other words, the differences are:
Gallup is only one series.
Pollster's is a normalization of several series.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 03:05 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
Wonder why there is such a sharp difference in polling trends between the two graphs....

In addition to what Fbaezer says, the scale is completely different. The pollster.com graph shows the polling trend from all the way back in January 2007. The Gallup graph just shows the last couple of weeks.

I.e., if you look only at the narrow section to the right of the second blue line in the Pollster graph - the bit that represents 2008 so far - you see that Obama went up from 30% to 43%. In the Gallup graph, Obama has gone up in the same period from 33% to 44%. Practically the same thing!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 03:22 pm
Quote:
Expectations that Barack Obama will be the Democratic Presidential nominee soared following the Senator's weekend string of victories in Louisiana, Nebraska, Washington, and Maine. As of Monday morning, Rasmussen Markets data gave Obama a 70% chance of representing the Democratic Party in November's election (current price 70.9%).

Rasmussen
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 03:36 pm
sozobe wrote:
Quote:
Expectations that Barack Obama will be the Democratic Presidential nominee soared following the Senator's weekend string of victories in Louisiana, Nebraska, Washington, and Maine. As of Monday morning, Rasmussen Markets data gave Obama a 70% chance of representing the Democratic Party in November's election (current price 70.9%).

Rasmussen

Intrade agrees - 71-29 Obama at the moment.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 04:57 pm
Wikipedia seems to have a very thorough accounting of delegates and they are all categorized by voting levels and states.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Party_(United_States)_presidential_primaries,_2008
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 07:01 pm
Semi-randomly noting that I have weird connection problems again (different from last time) and probably won't be around much in the next couple of days.

Hope there's good news tomorrow (thank goodness for CNN...)!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 07:06 pm
I wonder if your internet connection problems are related to the repair work occuring on the five undersea internet cables in the Middle East that were accidentally cut last week.

This could be the culprit too...

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080211/blackberry_outage.html?.v=8

BlackBerry Service Out in N. America
Monday February 11, 8:05 pm ET
By Anick Jesdanun, AP Internet Writer
BlackBerry Service Out Intermittently Across N. America; AT&T Says All Carriers Affected

NEW YORK (AP) -- A major service outage afflicted users of the popular, addictive BlackBerry smart phones across the United States and Canada on Monday.
Officials with AT&T Inc. and Verizon Wireless said BlackBerry maker Research in Motion Ltd. told them customers of all wireless carriers were affected.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 08:04 pm
I still had this on Notepad:

Interesting: Louisiana is the second state since all of Obama's and Clinton's competitors dropped out in which over 10% of white voters did not vote for either of them. The first one was Oklahoma on Super Tuesday. A bunch of people voted for Edwards even though he's out, or even Biden or Richardson or Uncommitted: 15% in Oklahoma and 12% in Louisiana.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 08:10 pm
Ohio and Texas are the clinchers, you said? Unhhuh... Even those cant do the trick anymore now

Plus: More on those superdelegates...

Quote:
Paul Kane: Sorry Reading, Ohio is not at all where Clinton could wrap things up. We've done a bad job of explaing this, but it is now basically mathematically impossible for either Clinton or Obama to win the nomination through the regular voting process (meaning the super-delegates decide this one, baby!).

Here's the math. There are 3,253 pledged delegates, those doled out based on actual voting in primaries and caucuses. And you need 2,025 to win the nomination.

To date, about 55% of those 3,253 delegates have been pledged in the voting process -- with Clinton and Obamb roughly splitting them at about 900 delegates a piece.

That means there are now only about 1,400 delegates left up for grabs in the remaining states and territories voting.

So, do the math. If they both have about 900 pledged delegates so far, they need to win more than 1,100 of the remaining 1,400 delegates to win the nomination through actual voting.

Ain't gonna happen, barring a stunning scandal or some new crazy revelation. So, they'll keep fighting this thing out, each accumulating their chunk of delegates, one of them holding a slight edge and bothing finishing the voting process with 1,600 or so delegates.

And then the super delegates decide this thing.

That's the math.

Quote:
Paul Kane: Super delegates can back a candidate one day, then back another candidate the next day, and still another the day after that. There are 796 of them (excluding those from Michigan and Florida), and they are Democratic members of Congress, Democratic governors and elder statesmen of the party (Gore, Bill Clinton, Tom Daschle, etc). But, the largest bloc of them are just old fashioned rank-and-file local activists, 411 of them being members of the DNC.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 01:19 pm
As of about 9 am in Albemarle County, which surrounds but does include Charlottesville: 4,286 people had requested a Democratic ballot (7% of the total number of registered voters in the county) and 1,304 had asked for a Republican one (2% of the total registered voters).
It is cold and overcast here today with a few sprinkles. The weather here shouldn't affect turnout. Down in the SW quadrant folks are having some freezing rain and there are still about 45,000 households without power after Sunday's incredible wind storms. It was amazing, gusts up to 50 or 60 mph for much of the day. I lost a portion of the tin roof on my old house.
Notes: Polls close at 7 pm and the results usually come in quickly. It should be over by 9 or 10 pm. Virginia is one of 9 states that allows 17 year olds to vote today if they will be 18 by election day in November. Delegates in the Dem primary will be divided proportionally. The Repub contest is winner take all.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 01:23 pm
Gallup dailies.

http://media.gallup.com/poll/graphs/021208DailyUpdateGraph2.gif

I predict Obama to pass Clinton in the dailies within 2 days.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 01:59 pm
Nimh's last post is important indeed.

Superdelegates can tilt the nomination. There's no way either candidate can break that, unless the other retires.

This means it becomes less a matter of polling and voting, and more a matter of quintaessencial politics.

The question is, if the trend remains (and say, Obama also wins Wisconsin and Texas or Ohio), will the party risk backing the candidate with less pledged delegates?
Ambitions are strong, but who wants to "win" a probable defeat on November, with the party split?

I see a compromise coming its way. In April, maybe.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 02:07 pm
fbaezer wrote:
Nimh's last post is important indeed.

Superdelegates can tilt the nomination. There's no way either candidate can break that, unless the other retires.

This means it becomes less a matter of polling and voting, and more a matter of quintaessencial politics.

The question is, if the trend remains (and say, Obama also wins Wisconsin and Texas or Ohio), will the party risk backing the candidate with less pledged delegates?
Ambitions are strong, but who wants to "win" a probable defeat on November, with the party split?

I see a compromise coming its way. In April, maybe.

If Obama wins WI and either TX or Ohio, they won't have a choice; he will have a nearly insurmountable lead in PLEDGED delegates, let alone super-delegates. It will be difficult to find a rationale for backing Clinton at that point.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 03:32 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
If Obama wins WI and either TX or Ohio, they won't have a choice; he will have a nearly insurmountable lead in PLEDGED delegates, let alone super-delegates. It will be difficult to find a rationale for backing Clinton at that point.

The question is, do they need one?

I mean, some of the superdelegates are prominent elected officials. US Senators, US Representatives. Governors. They cannot afford to go too much against the grain of their constituents, or risk embittering too many of them.

But we're talking hundreds upon hundreds of superdelegates. Many of 'em are close to political nobodies - they're not much accountable to anyone. I mean, they're not going to be voted out of the local town council in two years time over what they did as superdelegate. But they're often long-standing local pols, loyal clogs in the local party machines, which is likely to often mean a deep-seated loyalty to the Clintons. I dunno.

Then again, I'm the resident pessimist here, you're the resident optimist, so... Razz
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 03:35 pm
And here's the Gallup graph for the Republican nomination (but we seem to have lost Okie, alas):

http://media.gallup.com/poll/graphs/021208DailyUpdateGraph1.gif

Huckabee is catching up! Razz

Note also the details:

After hitting a high point of 57% on Feb. 7-9 in Gallup Poll Daily tracking, support for John McCain has been slipping since then. In the Feb. 9-11 average, he receives 52% of the vote. Mike Huckabee moves up to 28%, from 23% Feb. 7-9 and from 21% Feb. 6-8. Even though there is talk of McCain's status as the presumptive Republican nominee, the Gallup Poll Daily tracking finds that almost half of Republicans and Republican-leaning voters nationwide say they support Huckabee, Ron Paul, Alan Keyes, "other," or don't have an opinion. [i][b]The interviews conducted Monday night, Feb. 11, show Huckabee doing particularly well, and McCain's support below the 50% mark.[/b][/i]

http://media.gallup.com/poll/graphs/021208DailyUpdateGraph3.gif
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 03:58 pm
nimh wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

The question is, do they need one?

I mean, some of the superdelegates are prominent elected officials. US Senators, US Representatives. Governors. They cannot afford to go too much against the grain of their constituents, or risk embittering too many of them.

But we're talking hundreds upon hundreds of superdelegates. Many of 'em are close to political nobodies - they're not much accountable to anyone. I mean, they're not going to be voted out of the local town council in two years time over what they did as superdelegate. But they're often long-standing local pols, loyal clogs in the local party machines, which is likely to often mean a deep-seated loyalty to the Clintons. I dunno.

Then again, I'm the resident pessimist here, you're the resident optimist, so... Razz

I look at it this way: why have the delegates who have not endorsed anyone, not endorsed Clinton?

There has been ample opportunity to do so and she is by far the leader in the 'known quantity' column.

My theory is that most super-delegates are waiting until they can seal the deal for one candidate or another. If either Obama or Clinton racks up a lead in pledged delegates that is insurmountable - or nearly so - look for a large block of super-delegates to endorse that person post haste.

Now, it is possible that it will be Clinton that gets this. I just don't think it's going to happen based upon current trends Smile

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 06:05 pm
Updating my county of Albemarle, which I should have mentioned was a Republican county until 2004: 12,091 of us (19.4% of total registered voters) requested Dem ballots. 5,001 (8.0%) asked for Repub ones.

Yippee. 7 pm. Let the vote counting start here in VA. I am psyched.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 06:07 pm
CNN and MSNBC call it for Obama.

Votes counted quicker then you might have thought, apparently!

OBAMARAMA

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 06:10 pm
Here are links for the vote tallies:

Democrats

https://www.voterinfo.sbe.virginia.gov/election/DATA/2008/67F01F96-1E82-472E-8051-CF1B1C3786A4/Unofficial/1_s.shtml

Republicans

https://www.voterinfo.sbe.virginia.gov/election/DATA/2008/F88C865B-87AB-494E-8C2E-599FED2DF7C6/Unofficial/1_s.shtml
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 06:18 pm
What do I undestand by compromise?
Hillary exchanging her resignation for a "unity ticket" (which means also a distribution of would-be seats in both houses).
0 Replies