Get yer polls, bets, numbers & pretty graphs! Elections 2008

nimh

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:42 am
sozobe wrote:
FWIW, I was never a Dean supporter...

Why not, actually?

I was never a Deaniac myself either, he wasnt even my first choice - but I did sympathise.. I loved what he had to say, substantively, about where the party had to move, and what needed to change in America.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:44 am
Ooh, I hate it when my pretty charts end up at the bottom of the page.. <sulks>

( :wink: )

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Nimh, Texas has a really weird caucus set-up; do you know more about how it works? I can't figure it out.

Oh, I dont know actually! What's it like, roughly?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:45 am
I'd read a lot about him and didn't like what I saw, much. Trying to remember details. Kind of Romney-esque, I think. "Opportunistic" is a word I remember applying to him. Liked what he had to say when his campaign was in full swing well enough, didn't particularly believe him based on things he'd said/done in the past.

I thought the movement itself was cool and looked forward to the netroots being put to better use at some point in the future.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:53 am
nimh wrote:

( :wink: )

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Nimh, Texas has a really weird caucus set-up; do you know more about how it works? I can't figure it out.

Oh, I dont know actually! What's it like, roughly?

You vote, then get a ticket, and can go caucus that night for about a third of the votes in the state as at-larges.

I can't figure out the number splits tho! But you do vote twice if ya wish, it's weird.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 10:01 am
Quote:

That's very funny, nimh.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 10:17 am
Interesting analysis of the race issue from a Daily Dish reader:

Quote:
In states where the black population is less than 5%, Obama has a record of 7 wins, 2 losses and 1 undecided (NM). In states where the black population is 20% or higher, he is undefeated at 4-0. However, in states that are between 5-20% black, his record is a fairly dismal 4-10 (with one of those victories being Illinois).

The theory here is that Obama does well where the black population is so low that identity politics isn't an issue. And, he does well where the black share of Democratic primary voters is so high that he needs few white voters to carry the day. He has the hardest time in states that are black enough to have some racialized politics, but without enough black voters to completely tip the scales.

This corresponds to the long held observation that black candidates in general do best in either fairly non-black environments or in heavy black environments but struggle with the in between, where white majority fears that they will be the tool of an aggrieved constituency. (Some, of course, have broken that mold like Doug Wilder, and Carol Mosely-Braun and Obama himself).

For Obama's upcoming contests, this bodes well for Maryland, D.C., Virginia, Nebraska and Vermont and maybe Rhode Island, but not so well for Ohio and Texas.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 11:04 am
Crossposting this article that BBB posted in the Obama thread:

BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Is Media Missing 'Bias' Issue in Obama-Clinton Contest?
By Greg Mitchell - E & P
February 06, 2008

There may be nothing to this -- as some suggested after New Hampshire -- but once again on Super Tuesday the exit polls did not line up with the results, and Obama once again did much, much better in caucus states where voters have to take stand in public.

Last month, I took some heat, and praise, for suggesting that there might be something to the idea that Obama was upset in New Hampshire partly due to his race.

It seemed suspicious that the exit polls, in such a small state, were so far off, lending at least some support to the theory that people will sometimes fail to pull the lever for a African-American candidate but then tell pollsters that they did. Remember that Obama had just swept the Iowa caucuses -- where voters have to take a very public stand.

Actually, in that earlier column, I did not fully endorse the notion that this had happened in New Hampshire. I merely took exception to all the pundits who were claiming that surely racism was dead among all those good Democrats of New Hampshire and played little or no role in his defeat.

End of discussion. In all the feel-good stories about Obama in the weeks since, race was mainly discussed in the context of Bill Clinton's alleged attacks, with very little analysis or probing of actual voter attitudes -- and why, if racism is almost dead, anyone would be worried about anyone playing the "race card."

Anyway: The results of Super Tuesday make me revisit this subject, again very tentatively.

Without going into all the results, just note Obama that inspired unexpected landslides in nearly all of the caucus states (see tallies below) while barely eaking out wins -- or getting trounced -- in nearly all of the voting booth states.

He did win Georgia easily, but like in South Carolina, he had a huge black base there, and of course he rumbled in home state Illinois. But once again there is the haunting evidence that most exit polls yesterday suggested very tight fights, or even Obama wins, in California, New Jersey and several other places -- where he ended up losing badly. How did that happen?

Exit polls indicated that he got about 43% of the white vote around the U.S. -- but does this even come close to lining up to the likely votes cast? If someone could crunch those numbers it would be interesting to know if there is any way Obama could have performed so middling in nearly all of the non-caucus states, unless white voters were not being straight with pollsters. That 43% figure just doesn't seem to fit.

I put this forth not with tremendous confidence but just as a way of sparking some discussion and investigation, which has been notably lacking beyond the "Bill Clinton on the loose" headlines of the past month.

Here are Obama's wins in caucus states only so far this year. Check out those margins: Iowa 38-29, Minnesota 67-32, Colorado 67-32, Kansas 74-26, Idaho 81-17, North Dakota 61-37, Alaska 72-27, and he leads New Mexico 49-48. He lost Nevada 51-45 but won the most delegates there.

And my answer to those last couple of paras:

nimh wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Exit polls indicated that he got about 43% of the white vote around the U.S. -- but does this even come close to lining up to the likely votes cast?

The exit polls are adjusted through election night to take the actual results into account, and once the full results are in, they are re-weighted again so that the topline numbers conform to the actual vote.

So if you look at the exit polls the day after the elections, their numbers will add up to the actual results.

I dont know when the author got the 43%, during the night or afterwards. Exit polls are by state, so to get a figure for "around the US" would involve a lot of calculating, and you'd miss some too as no exit polls were held in most of the caucus states. But I did post an overview of the white vote for Obama and Hillary by state in the Polls thread. I'd say 43% seems a bit high - the median is at 37%, but that's not accounting for the size of states.

Otherwise a very interesting article by the way.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 11:12 am
sozobe wrote:
Interesting analysis of the race issue from a Daily Dish reader:

Quote:
In states where the black population is less than 5%, Obama has a record of 7 wins, 2 losses and 1 undecided (NM). In states where the black population is 20% or higher, he is undefeated at 4-0. However, in states that are between 5-20% black, his record is a fairly dismal 4-10 (with one of those victories being Illinois).

The theory here is that Obama does well where the black population is so low that identity politics isn't an issue. And, he does well where the black share of Democratic primary voters is so high that he needs few white voters to carry the day. He has the hardest time in states that are black enough to have some racialized politics, but without enough black voters to completely tip the scales.

This corresponds to the long held observation that black candidates in general do best in either fairly non-black environments or in heavy black environments but struggle with the in between, where white majority fears that they will be the tool of an aggrieved constituency. (Some, of course, have broken that mold like Doug Wilder, and Carol Mosely-Braun and Obama himself).

For Obama's upcoming contests, this bodes well for Maryland, D.C., Virginia, Nebraska and Vermont and maybe Rhode Island, but not so well for Ohio and Texas.

Interesting take! Sounds very plausible...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 11:13 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You vote, then get a ticket, and can go caucus that night for about a third of the votes in the state as at-larges.

OK, so that should be a plus for Obama...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 11:15 am
nimh wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

OK, so that should be a plus for Obama...

Sure. And yaknow why?

I've been reading reports from the caucus sites around the country, and what ends up happening is this: Hillary's crowds are almost exclusively older white ladies. Almost everyone else goes to Obama or a third party. And he's destroying the second ballot, as Hillary doesn't draw anyone who wasn't for her in the first place.

I think it's a lot tougher to hide the divide in the Dem party when you are all standing around looking at each other. It becomes clear that identity politics are driving her campaign.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 12:43 pm
Here's a lengthy detailed page of the rules straight from the Texas Democrat Party page:

http://www.txdemocrats.org/the_party/article_vii_national_delegate_selection_rules

A reader's digest version of it is:

A total of 126 delegate positions (three-quarters of the base delegation) will be distributed to presidential candidates based on the results of the primary. Forty-two delegate positions (one-quarter of the base delegation) will be distributed based on the number of people attending the party's conventions. The delegates themselves will be elected at the State Convention June 6-7, 2008, in Austin.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 03:32 pm
I just tried to hunt down the delegate count again -- all the different numbers are bothering me. This is what CNN says:

Obama (pledged): 635

Clinton (pledged): 630

In terms of the primary votes so far, then, Obama really does seem to have the (narrow) lead. I don't think this includes NM.

Where it gets hairy is superdelegates (unpledged):

Obama (pledged + superdelegates): 741

Clinton (pledged + superdelegates): 823

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/scorecard/

So this is where it's important to remember that superdelegates can change their minds at any time, plus there are a bunch of as-of-yet-unsnagged ones. (Yep, I'd seen that link, thanks Gus.)

A Daily Dish reader opines that the "accidentally" released Obama internal strategy memo is a message to superdelegates:

Quote:
Not to accuse Our Hero of sly tricks, but this sounds to me like a warning shot to the Party: trouble ahead--you super-delegates better start thinking now about how to avoid the incredibly damaging floor fight the Clintons will engineer to seat the Michigan and Florida delegations when this comes down to the Convention--and it will come down to the Convention.

One way to avoid Armageddon--probably the only way--is to somehow swing the uncommitted super-delegates (about 50% of the total) behind the leading candidate--and, Obama is saying, "That will be me. I'll be up 30 delegates, up in states, up in money, up in mo, and up in the polls over McCain. So start planning now--because I will take this down to the Convention and through any floor fight if necessary. You don't want that drama."

Accident or not--that's the message.

More on the memo:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20080207/pl_bloomberg/atlh4uuvj_ti;_ylt=Ah6iZtwlX8a2fERs6UWksjOM5QcF
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 04:02 pm
Yes, sozobe, figuring out the democratic delegate count is frustrating. NPR has a story that this evening on "All Things Considered." According to the report:
NBC has Clinton at 834 and Obama 838;
CNN: Clinton 823, Obama 741;
CBS: Clinton 1063, Obama 986;
AP: Clinton 1045, Obama 960.
(NPR notes that they use the AP numbers in their reporting).

The two big variables are (1) the super-delegates. Some of the media are more aggressive then others in chasing down those folks and trying to poll them on whom they are leaning towards and (2) delegates selected in the caucus states. In the example cited, those folks select delegates to county conventions and from there to the state convention and then to the national convention. Apparently this can result in differences in the Obama-Clinton delegates, but I can't explain why.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 04:20 pm
Has anyone seen a citing of the running total of voters for each candidate regardless of the delegate counts?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 05:01 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
Has anyone seen a citing of the running total of voters for each candidate regardless of the delegate counts?

Last I saw Clinton was in the lead by about 50,000 (not including MI or FL). 50,000 is a very small percentage in the grand scheme.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 05:18 pm
Earlier on, I collated the data from the exit polls on what share of the white vote Obama and Clinton have been getting from state to state. (And then I posted a table specifying that white vote by gender.)

Now for an update: the Hispanic / Latino vote. How has it been breaking down so far in the various primaries?

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/5895/latinosdemszq7.png

The differences here are not huge, at least not on Obama's side: mostly he's been getting around a third of the Latino vote. He got a bit more than that in Arizona, and far more than that in his home state Illinois and among the small Hispanic community in Connecticut. He got a bit less than that in New York, Hillary's home state, and Nevada, where there was still some third-party competition.

Nevertheless, the relation to Hillary's share of the Latino vote does vary substantively, altogether. In New York, she gets almost three times as big a share. In Nevada, it was 1:2.5, and in New Jersey, Florida and California, she got about twice as big a share. In Arizona, New Mexico and Massachusetts, it's 1:1.5. And in Illinois and Connecticut they share the Hispanic vote fairly evenly.

Some of these specificities are obvious: NY and NJ are Hillary-land and since there was no campaign Hillary had a strong advantage in Florida too. Illinois is Obama's home state. But why has Obama been better weighing in with this group in CT, MA, AZ and to some extent NM than in California and Nevada?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 05:20 pm
If you have a link that shows that, I'd like to see the numbers. I've been searching for it and haven't found it yet.

thanks.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 05:22 pm
Butrflynet wrote:

I posted totals for at least the Super Tuesday elections a couple of pages ago:

nimh wrote:
Just how close was it?

Looking at the sum total of votes cast on Super Tuesday, it was very, very close:

"Using CNN's reported results , and rounding to the nearest thousand (both when inputing the numbers into my speadsheet and in the totals) -- and noting that there still some votes still to be counted in New Mexico [..] -- I have [b]a preliminary total of 7.35 [million] votes yesterday for Hillary Clinton and 7.29 [million] for Barack Obama[/b]. Overall, a total vote margin of about 65K despite nearly 15 million total votes cast for one or the other. Ignoring all other stray votes, [b]that gives her 50.2 percent of the two-candidate vote share and him the balance, 49.8 percent[/b]. Stunning, really. And yet, he may win both more states and, by a marginal handful, more delegates. That's just how close it was."

link
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 05:23 pm
That was in response to Maporche. Nimh snuck one of his charts in there and I wasn't quick enough.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 05:25 pm
So there isn't any media entity doing a similar tally that can be linked to?
0 Replies