Switzerland: right-wing minister ousted

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 07:27 am
Quote:
Blocher Loses Re-Election Bid, SVP to Quit Government (Update3)
By Marc Wolfensberger

Dec. 12 (Bloomberg) -- Swiss lawmakers ousted billionaire Justice Minister Christoph Blocher from the Cabinet, a move that may end almost 50 years of four-party consensus in government.

Instead of Blocher, 67, parliament chose his Swiss People's Party colleague Eveline Widmer-Schlumpf for the post, even though she didn't put herself forward as a candidate. The parliament met to choose a new seven-member Cabinet after national elections in October.

The People's Party, which won the most votes in the election, is threatening to go into opposition unless Blocher is restored to the Cabinet. That would bring an end to the formula under which the country's four largest parties have shared out Cabinet seats among themselves since 1959, ensuring political and economic stability.

``Either we are in the government with Blocher or we're going into opposition,'' People's Party President Ueli Maurer told reporters after today's vote. ``It's a win-win situation.''

The Social Democrats, the Green Party and the Christian Democrats united to elect Widmer-Schlumpf as an alternative candidate from the People's Party, called the SVP in German, to show they still want the party in the government, but without Blocher. Widmer-Schlumpf, the canton of Graubunden's finance minister, asked lawmakers for more time to decide whether to accept the position and promised to give her answer tomorrow.

Decision Is Made

``Whatever she decides, we've made our mind: SVP will move to the opposition,'' party deputy Oskar Freysinger said on Swiss national radio RSR. Even if Widmer-Schlumpf refuses to take the post, Blocher won't make it back to the government, he said.

The last time a party went into opposition was in 1954, when the Social Democrats boycotted the government to reinforce their claim for a second seat. The make-up of the government has only changed once since 1959, when Blocher took a second seat in the Cabinet for the SVP four years ago at the expense of the Christian Democrats.

Even if the People's Party goes into opposition, stability is likely to continue. The seven Cabinet ministers, bound by collective responsibility, need the backing of both houses of parliament for their proposals. Voters can challenge any decision by launching a referendum.

While the SVP can kick both Widmer-Schlumpf and Defense Minister Samuel Schmid, who was re-elected today, out of the party faction, it can't force them to leave the Cabinet. The SVP can't be in the opposition with two members in the government.

`Completely Isolated'

``If she accepts, she will be without a party, completely isolated,'' Maurer said.

Widmer-Schlumpf and Schmid may join another political party, said Toni Bortoluzzi, an SVP member in the lower house of parliament. Being in the opposition ``will make it lot easier for the SVP,'' he said in an interview. ``We are ready for the battle.''

Blocher helped transform the SVP from a farmers' party to a populist anti-immigrant party that drew criticism from a United Nations anti-racism watchdog in the last elections.

``Blocher wasn't appropriate for the government,'' Hans- Juerg Fehr, president of the Social Democratic Party, said in an interview after the vote. ``Today's eviction is a result of his own behavior; it just was too much.''

The SVP, which boosted support by playing on many voters' reservations about foreigners and the EU, is also considered pro-business and backed by many executives because it favors lower taxes, less state control and more privatization.

Ministers Re-Elected

The 246 lawmakers from the lower and upper houses also re- elected Swiss Transport Minister Moritz Leuenberger of the Social Democratic Party, Finance Minister Hans-Rudolf Merz of the Free Democrats, Interior Minister Pascal Couchepin of the Free Democrats, Foreign Minister Micheline Calmy-Rey of the Social Democrats and Economy Minister Doris Leuthard of the Christian Democrats.

Lawmakers also elected Couchepin as Switzerland's president in 2008. He'll serve a one-year term.

Widmer-Schlumpf won 125 votes, three more than the minimum needed, said Andre Bugnon, president of the lower house of parliament. If she accepts the Cabinet position, it will be the first time three women have been in the Swiss government at the same time.

``I'm astonished that the left put has forward a candidate who herself was not aware of it,'' Gregor Rutz, the party's secretary-general, told reporters before the vote.
Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,617 • Replies: 53
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 07:40 am
There have been two rounds of voting today, which blocked the re- election.
Quote:

The SVP has threatened to go into the opposition if Blocher, who is the SVP's top candidate, is not elected.

This in turn would shake the system of government in Switzerland, where four parties - the SVP, Christian Democrats, Social Democrats and Free Democrats - have virtually ruled together since 1959.

It was not clear whether and when a third vote would be held in parliament.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 07:46 am
I have a question, Walter ... is there any reason for anyone outside of Switzerland/Germany to care about the make-up of the Swiss cabinet?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 10:48 am
To answer your question: I don't know.

But what, Tico, do you think is the reason for "International News"?

And why do you narrow your question only to Switzerland/Germany?

http://hightech.gza.ch/portrait/files/213/00015296-europa.jpg
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 11:39 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
To answer your question: I don't know.

Okay.

Quote:
But what, Tico, do you think is the reason for "International News"?

Because someone, somewhere might be interested in what's going on with Switzerland's cabinet elections?

Still wondering if that applies. Help me out, Walter.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 11:49 am
Well, Switzerland was the only country worldwide (you certainly know better if I'm wrong, Tico) which had a working consens government over decades.

And that ended today.

Besides that, at least some poltically interested people will get more: Blocher is the leader of the largest party in parliament, it could happen now (and everythings points in that direction at this moment) that Switzerland will get a government with two ministers of the opposition in the cabinet, Switzerland's political life might drive towards a standstill, if Blocher really tries to rule the country from the opposition via referenda ...
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 12:07 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
I have a question, Walter ... is there any reason for anyone outside of Switzerland/Germany to care about the make-up of the Swiss cabinet?

You came all the way over to this thread in "International News" to declare that you don't care about, uhm, international news?

Weird.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 12:21 pm
old europe wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

You came all the way over to this thread in "International News" to declare that you don't care about, uhm, international news?

Weird.

Did I say I don't care about international news, OE? I asked my question in an effort to find out why this topic deserved a thread of its own. Still not sure it does.

Reading comprehension still not your forte, I see.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 12:49 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
I asked my question in an effort to find out why this topic deserved a thread of its own. Still not sure it does.

Thanks. I'll ask you the next time I want to start a thread.

But just out of interest: what do you think wopuld be worth being posted in 'International News' as an own thread?

And why is exactly this one on the knife's edge to get your negative vote - but none of the other thousand and more here?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 12:59 pm
Never mind, Walter. If it pains you to explain the significance, I withdraw the question.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 01:02 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Never mind, Walter. If it pains you to explain the significance, I withdraw the question.

Well, if you don't like my explanation above, you certainly can overread it.

But it's still there - though, if you are deciding what news is worth to become topic of a thread you surely can delete answers, I think.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 01:11 pm
So it is.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 01:13 pm
Update:

Böocher's fellow member of the nationalist-conservative Swiss Peoples Party (SVP), Eveline Widmer-Schlumpf, was elected to the Federal Council. But she immediately asked for time to consider whether to accept the post, with parliament then going into recess and due to reconvene on Thursday.

Again, though Tico has a different opinion, I don't know of any country which was run by a government consisting of ministers from the left to the right (the SVP, Christian Democrats, Social Democrats and Free Democrats) - since nearly exactly 50 years.

And if the SVP goes in opposition - this would be the severest crisis for Switzerland in decades.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 01:17 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Again, though Tico has a different opinion, I don't know of any country which was run by a government consisting of ministers from the left to the right (the SVP, Christian Democrats, Social Democrats and Free Democrats) - since nearly exactly 50 years.

Why would you think I had a different opinion? I don't.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 01:19 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
old europe wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Weird.

Did I say I don't care about international news, OE? I asked my question in an effort to find out why this topic deserved a thread of its own. Still not sure it does.

Reading comprehension still not your forte, I see.

Merely asking an innocent question.

Just like you did.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 01:19 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

Why would you think I had a different opinion? I don't.

Okay. No different opinion but you've still not finally ruled if it is worth to be a topic of a thread in International News.

Da mihi factum, dabo tibi ius was your question, right? But that seems to be ultra vires.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 02:26 pm
I'll let you know when I make my decision, Walter.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 02:38 pm
Psst... Tico.... Walter would have been even happier if not just the Swiss minister in question but all conservatives worldwide were to die suddenly, and when he's happy he starts threads Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 03:29 pm
High Seas wrote:
Psst... Tico.... Walter would have been even happier if not just the Swiss minister in question but all conservatives worldwide were to die suddenly, and when he's happy he starts threads Smile

If you had read my quotes, High Seas, you had noticed that the conservatives aren't the party in question here. It's about the SVP here.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 03:33 pm
My dear Walter - Blocher is well known to me, as you might imagine!

Your title is however incorrect. Try looking up Swiss parliamentary procedures. Anyone else interested, here's the current situation, from the Tribune de Geneve:

Quote:
The federal assembly, which combines the 200-seat house of representatives and the senate, resumes sitting on Thursday at 8 a.m. when it will learn of Widmer-Schlumpf's decision. If she decides against serving as a cabinet minister there will be a new election with Christoph Blocher seen as a likely candidate.
0 Replies