Switzerland: right-wing minister ousted

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 06:16 pm
There is an hilarious Asterix comic in which Asterix and Obelix visit Switzerland to uncover a nefarious plot by the Romans, and the subtext comic relief is a Swiss innkeeper who is losing his mind because all the main characters keep muddying his clean floor . . .
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 06:31 pm
dlowan wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Why.would.it.de.such.a.crisis,Walter Question

Parties.im.coalitiom.im.mamy.coumtries.chamge.parters.from.ti,e.to.time.

I.dom't.doudt.that.it.IS.a.crisis...I.just.dom't.quite.get.WHY.

How dare you question the significance of this thread, rabbit! http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/4513/15296210tb4.gif

I DIDN'T question the significance of a thread about international news in the international news forum. I asked a clarifying question about the news.

You, however, DID so question. On what basis I cannot imagine, but so it goes.

No, I did not. If you thought I did, you join Walter in failing to correctly understand what I was asking.

<shrug>

And so it goes ...
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 12:55 pm
Setanta - that issue of Asterix was side-splitting; it sold out in Switzerland within 2 hours of going on sale, and a dozen additional printings had to be shipped from France within days.
http://www.mage.fst.uha.fr/asterix/helvetes/helvetes.png

Tico - Walter has strong views on the subject of political demonstrations because he had attended so many of them in his younger years that his mug shot graced an entire file of the German domestic security services.

Btw, my source is an unimpeachable one - Walter himself posting this online - but considering that the demonstrations he attended were of the leftist variety, e.g. "against nuclear war" (do those guys know anyone in favor?!) he has some residual sympathy for demonstrators elsewhere on politically correct topics. And illegal immigration is a big issue in all of Europe, not just Switzerland, but they're at least doing something about it - whence the political crisis we're discussing. Did that answer your question?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 02:32 pm
High Seas wrote:
Tico - Walter has strong views on the subject of political demonstrations because he had attended so many of them in his younger years that his mug shot graced an entire file of the German domestic security services.

Not really, but I'm on quite a few videos (which I only noticed, when I was 'connected' to one those 'clubs' :wink:
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 03:31 pm
Walter - there's a sure way to find out exactly:

Quote:
Jeder kann gemäß § 15 Abs. 1 BVerfSchG Auskunft über die beim Bundesamt für Verfassungsschutz zu seiner Person gespeicherten Daten erhalten. Zur Begründung eines Auskunftsanspruches ist die Darlegung eines besonderen Interesses an einer Auskunft sowie der Hinweis auf einen konkreten Sachverhalt (z.B. Teilnahme an einer bestimmten Demonstration) erforderlich.

Demonstrations are clearly mentioned, but what do you mean by " 'connected' " to any " 'clubs' " - no, upon reflection don't answer, maybe I'm better off not knowing Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 03:42 pm
The Bundesverfassungsschutzgesetz wasn't a law before 1990 :wink:
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 03:55 pm
That's probably just as well, as our good friend Tico might disregard my explanation if he had to pronounce such a word!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 06:32 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Bundesverfassungsschutzgesetz

Gesundheit, Walter.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 01:16 am
Ha - I'm waiting for the Bundesverfassungsschutzgesetzänderungsgesetz!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 02:41 am
An amendment?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 03:42 am
McTag wrote:
An amendment?

Yes. That would be in English the Amendment to the Law about the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution (that's the Federal Germany domestic intelligence agency, state's have such, too).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 07:59 am
Ticomaya wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Why.would.it.de.such.a.crisis,Walter Question

Parties.im.coalitiom.im.mamy.coumtries.chamge.parters.from.ti,e.to.time.

I.dom't.doudt.that.it.IS.a.crisis...I.just.dom't.quite.get.WHY.

How dare you question the significance of this thread, rabbit! http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/4513/15296210tb4.gif

I DIDN'T question the significance of a thread about international news in the international news forum. I asked a clarifying question about the news.

You, however, DID so question. On what basis I cannot imagine, but so it goes.

No, I did not. If you thought I did, you join Walter in failing to correctly understand what I was asking.

<shrug>

And so it goes ...

Actually, you're right.

No, you didn't.

However, I think you can see how your first post was very open to interpretation, and this:

"Because someone, somewhere might be interested in what's going on with Switzerland's cabinet elections?

Still wondering if that applies. Help me out, Walter."

was rather provincial, don't you think?

I would imagine all the Swiss, and many people living near them, and, as it turns out, anyone well versed in Swiss history, would be interested.

This:

"Did I say I don't care about international news, OE? I asked my question in an effort to find out why this topic deserved a thread of its own. Still not sure it does.

Reading comprehension still not your forte, I see."

only added fuel to the fire.

I would be interested to see if you would similarly question the relevance of a thread about the minutiae of US political process.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 05:43 pm
Yes, I understand why it could misinterpreted.

dlowan wrote:
I would be interested to see if you would similarly question the relevance of a thread about the minutiae of US political process.

I would probably just ignore such a thread, believing I understood what little significance might be presented.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 11:16 am
Even if this presents little significance:
Quote:
Voters in Switzerland rejected Sunday a plan to give local communities the power to decide which immigrants should be granted Swiss citizenship, according to partial official results.

A majority of the country's 26 cantons rejected the proposal put forth by the far-right Swiss People's Party (SVP), as referendum ballots continued to be tallied.
Source
0 Replies