Bar cookies? Shortbreads? Biscotti?

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 07:30 am
I realized that the fudge recipe I mentioned was on a (now-discarded) tin of condensed milk, and I needed some anyway, so bought more et voila.

"Carnation Famous Fudge"
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup (5 fl oz can) evaporated milk
2 tablespoons butter
14 teaspoon salt
2 cups miniature marshmallows
1 1/2 cups (9 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Line 8-inch square baking pan with foil
Combine sugar, milk, butter and salt in medium, heavy duty saucepan. bring to a full roiling boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil, stirring constantly, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Stir in marshmallows, chocolate, nuts, and vanilla extract. Stir rigorously 1 minute or until marshmallows are melted. Pour into prepared baking pan; refrigerate 2 hours or until firm. Lift from pan, remove foil. Cut into pieces.

I don't remember the marshmallows from when I made it, that sounds a bit ptooey sweet. But whatever I made was good.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 08:00 am
Just wanted to report that I made it (the fudge, above). I cut it into little 1-inch squares as per the recipe (7 X 7) and was explaining to E.G., after he'd had a couple, that they were so small because it was more like candy (than cake). Reaching for another, he said "No, they're more like crack."

Very sweet!!! but popular with kids and husbands.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 04:45 pm
Haha!

I hadn't read the recipes here because my computer is so goofy but I did print them up. I went over the ingredients this morning so that I could pick up a few random things at the grocery. It wasn't till I started reading the instructions that I noticed osso's commentary written throughout.

Very nice!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 04:59 pm
Now what did I say.... (ms. talky)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 05:05 pm
That Lamington recipe Dadpad posted attracted me...

what's a Lamington pan??

(I suppose I could figure it out..)

I think I'm going to try those faux biscotti, the ones I called easy-peasey.
Just need to get some anise seed..
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 02:49 pm
True confessions:

That shortbread recipe turned out to be so easy and so good that I decided to hand out lots of different versions instead of a lot of different kinds of cookies. I made: plain (with chocolate tops), ginger/sesame, apricot, orange/cranberry, lemon/poppyseed.

Next year I should have a kitchen that allows me to be a bit more adventurous so I'm hanging on to all of the other recipes.

Thank you all for your help.

Have a great holiday!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 02:54 pm
You too, Boom!
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 03:12 pm
Just made cranberry-pistacchio biscotti last night. Turned out really good.

The red and green make a great Christmas cookie. Have used other nuts instead of pistachios with success. If your pistachios are salted, omit the 1/4 teaspoon salt from the recipe."
INGREDIENTS:
1/4 cup light olive oil
3/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 eggs 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 1/2 cups pistachio nuts

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl, mix together oil and sugar until well blended. Mix in the vanilla and almond extracts, then beat in the eggs. Combine flour, salt, and baking powder; gradually stir into egg mixture. Mix in cranberries and nuts by hand.
3. Divide dough in half. Form two logs (12x2 inches) on a cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Dough may be sticky; wet hands with cool water to handle dough more easily.
4. Bake for 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until logs are light brown. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
5. Cut logs on diagonal into 3/4 inch thick slices. Lay on sides on parchment covered cookie sheet. Bake approximately 8 to 10 minutes, or until dry; cool.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 04:34 pm
boomer!

ehBeth wrote:

can I put in a request for Sesame-Ginger ...

Cool
0 Replies