Bar cookies? Shortbreads? Biscotti?

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 08:54 pm
My new old house has a really crappy kitchen with a very small, one rack oven.

Typically I make a variety of lovely cookies to pass around the neighborhood and this year.... well.... I don't want to commit myself to days and days and days and days of baking tiny little lovely cookies.

I'm looking for some pan cookies - bake and slice or bake and cut and frost or rebake or something other than drop type cookies.

The more outrageous and extreme the better. Something unexpected, not the typical bar cookie.

Any suggestions?

Any recipies to share?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,246 • Replies: 28
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 08:59 pm
I like these the best - real butter cookies with apricot jam in between.

http://img.chefkoch.de/pictures/fotoalben/d3f5eb1853e6329c222826862cc04947/2712/medium_weihnachtspltzchen2004021.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 09:11 pm
From the Martha Stewart Everyday Living newsletter last week ...

Quote:
One Dough, Seven Holiday Cookies!
Streamline Christmas-cookie baking with versatile, slice-and-bake shortbread. Add mix-ins and coatings to the buttery basic dough and create a stockingful of options. Or stir up the dough and freeze it until you need it. Pick any (or all) of these flavors:

Orange-Cranberry
Peanut Butter Chip
Sesame-Ginger
Lemon-Poppy Seed
Apricot-Pistachio
Lime-Cornmeal
Mini Chocolate Chip

http://images.marthastewart.com/images/content/pub/everyday_food/2004Q4/18edf05_e_l.jpg

recipe etc

can I put in a request for Sesame-Ginger and Apricot-Pistachio?

Thanks! Very Happy
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 09:13 pm
How about mini quick breads? You can buy the mini pans (approx. 3 x 4) and probably get 6-8 to cook at one time. You can wrap them in creative ways. I took this recipe off the web, but it's similar to a quick bread I make:

Orange Coconut Bread

INGREDIENTS:

* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup granulated sugar
* 1 cup coconut flakes, toasted
* 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
* 1 egg
* 1 1/2 cups milk
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts or other nuts, optional

PREPARATION:
Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Stir toasted coconut and orange peel into dry ingredients; set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat egg until light; mix with milk and vanilla. Stir egg and milk mixture into the dry ingredients, blending well with a wooden spoon.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 09:19 pm
I'm quite tempted to make these (also from Cousin Martha)

http://images.marthastewart.com/images/content/pub/special_issues/2005/sd101471_1205_chcblkppr_l.jpg

Chocolate-Black Pepper Cookies
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 10:31 am
I used to find biscotti easy to make. (Except for that time I forgot to add the sugar...). Will seek out a recipe or two and be back. Meantime, those chocolate pepper cookies are looking especially good.

Biscotti do need bake-slice-bake on sheet routine, though.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 10:36 am
I looked up recipes for rum balls after littlek made 'em -- they don't seem to involve any cooking.

I made a really yummy no-cook fudge one year. I think there was some stovetop melting, then just pour it in a pan, let it set, slice, and eat. I'll look for that recipe, it involved condensed milk but I don't remember details.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 11:53 am
Well, these are no way as easy as rum balls, recipe for which I'd also like to see, mmmm.

There is one recipe I have that doesn't call for the 2nd bake, will add that at the end.

But first, some good old regular biscotti recipes:
(Let me add in here that I bet a lot of work would be saved with the use of parchment paper.)

Biscotti Toscani

1/2 cup whole almonds
1/3 cup butter
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. almond extract
2 tsp. grated orange zest
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking power
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt

Place nuts in a shallow pan and bake in a preheated 32 degree oven until golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool.
In a mixing bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, vanilla, almond extract and orange zest.
In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt. Add to the creamed mixture, mixing until blended.
Cut almonds into halves or thirds (osso says use nut chopper of have one) and fold in.
Divide dough in half. Place on a greased and floured baking sheet and form into two logs about 1/2 inch thick, 1 1/2 inches wide and 12 inches long, spacing them at least 2 inches apart.
Bake in the middle of a preheated 325 degree oven for 25 minutes or until a light golden brown.
Transfer from the baking sheet to a rack. Let cool 5 minutes. Place on a cutting board. With a serrated knife, slice diagonally at a 45 degree angle about 1/2 " thick. Lay the slices flat on the baking sheet and return to the oven for 10 minutes, turning them over once, to dry slightly. Let cool on a rack.
Store in a tightly covered container.
Makes 3 1/2 dozen biscotti.

This one is from a 1992 Gourmet magazine article, and is the most complicated I've run across so far.

Ginger Chocolate Biscotti

2 1/2 c. unbleached all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons grated peeled fresh gingerroot
1/2 tsp almond extract
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cups blanched whold almonds, toasted lightly and chopped coarse

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (eh! says osso) blend the flour, the sugar, the baking soda, the salt, the cinnamon, the cloves, and the cocoa power until the mixture is combined well. In a small bowl whisk together the gingerroot, the almond extract, and the eggs, add the mixture to the flour mixture, beating until a dough is formed, and stir in the almonds.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, knead it several times, and divide it into thirds. Working on a large buttered and floured baking sheet, with floured hands, form each piece of dough into a flattish log 10" long by 2 1/2 inches wide and arrange the logs at least 3: apart on the sheet. Bake the logs in the middle of a preheated 350 F oven for 24 minutes and let them cool on the baking sheet on a rack for 10 minutes.

On a cutting board cut the logs crosswise on the diagonal into 3/4 inch thick (some recipes call for 1/2 inch - osso) slices, arrange the biscotti, cut sides down, on the baking sheet, and bake them in the 350 F oven for 5 minutes on each side. Transfer the biscotti to racks to cool and store them in airtight containers. Makes about 36 biscotti.

(This may explain why good biscotti cost so much in stores... and they're often in small packages.)

And one more typing task from Gourmet 1992 - (I'll skip the cranberry pistachio ones, unless requested)

Cappuccino Biscotti

2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp double acting baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon strong brewed espresso, cooled
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon milk
1 large egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted, skinned, and chopped coarse
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment blend the flour, the sugar, the baking soda, the baking powder, the salt, the cinnamon, and the cloves until the mixture is combined well. In a small bowl whisk together the espresso, the milk, the yolk and the vanilla, add the mixture to the flour mixture, beating until a dough is formed, and stir in the hazelnuts and the chocolate chips.

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, knead it several times, and halve it. Working on a large buttered and floured baking sheet, with floured hands form each piece of dough into a flattish log 12 inches long and 2 inches wide and arrange the logs at least 3 inches apart on the sheet. bake the logs in the middle of a preheated 350 F oven for 35 minutes and let them cool on the baking sheet on a rack for 10 minutes.

Reduce the oven temperature to 300 F.

On a cutting board cut the logs crosswise on the diagonal into 3/4 inch thick slices, arrange the biscotti, cut sides down, on the baking sheet, and bake them for 5 to 6 minutes on each side, or until they are pale golden. Transfer the biscotti to racks to cool and store them in airtight containers. Makes about 32 biscotti.

Oh, well, one more from Gourmet 1992 -

Rosemary Walnut Biscotti

2 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornmeal, preferably stone ground
1 teaspoon double acting baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup plain non-fat yogurt
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cut into bits and softened
3/4 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped coarse
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, chopped fine, or 1 teaspoon dried crumbled

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment blend the flour, the cornmeal, the baking powder, and the salt, add the egg and the yogurt, and beat the mixture on low speed until a dough is formed. Add the butter, beating until it is just incorporated, and stir in the walnuts and the rosemary.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, knead it several times, and let it stand, covered with a kitchen towel, for 5 minutes. Halve the dough and, working on a large buttered and floured baking sheet, with floured hands form each piece of dough into a flattish log 12 inches long and 2 inches wide. Arrange the logs at least 3 inches apart on the baking sheet, bake them in the middle of a preheated 325 F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until they are set and pale golden, and let them cool on the sheet on a rack for 10 minutes. On a cutting board cut the logs crosswise on the diagonal into 1/2 inch thick slices, arrange the biscotti, cut sides down, on the baking sheet, and bake them in the 325 F oven for 10 to 12 minutes on each side (I don't think that's a typo, given all the other recipes in this article - osso), or until they are pal golden. Transfer the biscotti to racks to cool and store them in airtight containers. Makes about 40 biscotti.

Ahhh, now for the easy peasey recipe... not regular "biscotti", but interesting...
I haven't tried it myself.

In my notebook, cut out from some magazine, recipe by Connie Silva -

Biscotti (Italian anise cookies)

1/2 pound of butter
2 cups of sugar
3 heaping teaspoons anise seed
3 heaping teaspoons baking powder
4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 eggs
1 cup chopped almonds unblanched

Melt butter slowly, add sugar. Add eggs gradually, one at a time, beating with a spoon. Sift flour with baking powder and salt. Add to egg mixture. Add anise seed and almonds, knead about 10 minutes. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Make 4 or 5 pieces of dough. Roll and patt down in jelly-roll pan or cookie sheet the length of pan and 1/4 inch thick. Beat an egg, brush on dough.

Bake at 375 for 12 to 15 minutes. Cut diagonally while hot from oven. Store in airtight container or freeze. Cookies will keep for 2 months without freezing.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 12:21 pm
Peanut butter balls:

Adding paraffin wax to melted chocolate is an old-fashioned technique that makes the chocolate shinier and more stable. If you'd prefer not to use it, dip the peanut butter balls in confectioners' coating or compound coating (this is technically not chocolate, because it contains no cocoa butter), or add vegetable shortening in place of the wax.

1 ½ cups chunky or crunchy peanut butter
1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
1 ¾ cups confectioners' sugar
Pinch of salt
1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1 ½ to 2 ounces paraffin wax crystals, available at candy making stores

1. Line a tray with waxed paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine the peanut butter, graham cracker crumbs, and confectioners' sugar. Mix well. Pour in the melted margarine or butter and salt. Mix well with your hands until thoroughly combined.
3. Melt the chips in a double boiler set over simmering water. Add the wax, stirring to melt it.
4. With a spoon, scoop up a piece of the peanut butter mixture. Roll it between your palms, forming it into a ball about the size of a cherry tomato. Using a dipping tool, plastic fork, or toothpick, dip the peanut butter ball into the chocolate mixture, rolling it to coat it completely. Carefully transfer to the tray. Repeat with remaining peanut butter mixture and chocolate. If chocolate starts to harden, return it briefly to a low heat to melt again.
5. Refrigerate the tray of balls for 1 hour or until they are firm. Store at room temperature.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 12:26 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I'm quite tempted to make these (also from Cousin Martha)

http://images.marthastewart.com/images/content/pub/special_issues/2005/sd101471_1205_chcblkppr_l.jpg

Chocolate-Black Pepper Cookies

Can't go wrong with Cousin Martha.
Oooo, think I'll check out her rumballs.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 12:28 pm
Do you have a microwave? Peanut brittle makes a nice gift.

Also, Chocolate Truffles are easy, no bake, and delicious.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 12:50 pm
I finally looked up ehBeth's mention of shortbread cookies on Martha Stewart's site... those do look easy and good...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 03:28 pm
They're really a variant of what 'everyone' seemed to make 20/30 years ago - refrigerator cookie dough - divvied up into 4 or 6 or 8 logs - with different top-up ingredients and baking shapes (round log/square log/triangle log if you had steady hands). You could make a basket or tin of what appeared to be x different types of cookie, but it was really one base dough.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 03:31 pm
That looks great!

The Minimalist has a super-easy recipe for truffles in today's NYT (no-bake). Depends on good ingredients though.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 03:54 pm
Oh, I haven't seen that yet... I do save just about every Bittman column (minimalist).

Biscotti are wonderful to me, but not a production thing for the average beset person at the holidays.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 03:54 pm
Wow! Thanks!

I'm having some really serious computer problems so it's hard for me to stay on for long, and click links, etc. (Plus I'm working on a huge project for Mr. B that demands most of the time my computer is willing to cooperate.

Those short bread cookies and biscotti look devine!

I really like the baking part of the deal so I am indeed looking for things that are baked. My oven is just so small that typical drop cookies would take forever. Mini breads and candies might be a good addition to the cookie fest though.

I used to have a shortbread recipe that you baked in a sheet pan then punched out the cookies but those shortbreads don't look like they spread too much so I could probably fit a lot of smallish cookies to each pan.

Thanks again! I'll keep checking in when I'm able and let you know how things are going!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 02:38 pm
Yeah!

I've got things working long enough to print out the biscotti, shortbread and chocolate/pepper (I used to make one kind of like this one but it used cayanne pepper) recipes. Those will be nice, sophisticated cookies to add to the mix of more kid friendly fare.

Thanks to all!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 07:29 pm
I read this recipe in a recent Better Homes and Garden magazine and cut out the recipe to give it a try sometime. Sounds like it would serve your purpose. I'll type it out for you. You could probably make many variations of this using different dried fruit than apricot.

Apricot-Pistachio Oat Bars

Preheat oven to 325 degrees

Ingredients:

Nonstick cooking spray
1/2 c all purpose flour
1/2 c regular or quick cooking rolled oats
1/3 c packed brown sugar
1/4 c butter, melted
3/4 c sweetened condensed milk
1/2 tsp ground cardamom (optional)
1 c flaked coconut
1 c shelled dry roasted pistachio nuts
1 c chopped dates
1 c dried apricots, chopped

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line an 8x8x2 inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over pan edges. Lightly coat foil with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.

2. In a medium bowl combine flour, oats and brown sugar. Stir in butter until mixture clings together. Press 3/4 cup of the oats mixture into bottom of pan.

3. For filling, in a small saucepan over low heat bring condensed milk, and if desired, cardamom to boiling. In a bowl combine coconut, nuts, daes and apricots; add condensed milk mixture. Stir to combine. Pour coconut mixture over oats layer, using a spatula to spead evenly. Sprinkle remaining oats mixture over filling.

4. Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool on a rack for 5 minutes. Lift from pan by foil edges, cool completely. Cut in rectangles to make 16 bars.

Store bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week or up to 3 months in the freezer.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 02:06 am
Anzac biscuits

Chef: Margaret Fulton

A traditional Australian favourite

Serves a small party

Degree of difficulty: Low

Preparation Time: 5-10 minutes

Cooking Time: 10-15 minutes

You need:
1 cup each of plain flour, sugar, rolled oats and coconut
120 grammes of butter, melted
1 tablespoon of Golden Syrup
2 tablespoons of boiling water
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda dissolved in a little water

Method:
Mix together dry ingredients
Then the rest
Spoon onto a greased oven tray
Cook in a coolish oven 150-160 centigrade for 10 to 15 minutes

Golden syrup is made from cane sugar.
http://www.csrsugar.com.au/Shared/Images/Products/GoldenSyrupSqueeze500g.jpg
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 02:12 am
Australian Lamingtons Recipe

Ingredients

* 1 slab sponge cake (one day old)
* 4 cups icing sugar
* 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 1/2 cup milk
* 2 - 3 cups desiccated coconut

To make the icing

* Cool the cake for at least half an hour in the Fridge or Freezer, then cut into squares or fingers. or just use plain or vanilla cupcakes.
* Combine the Sugar and Cocoa in a large bowl
* Heat the milk and butter in a saucepan until the butter is melted.
* Add to the sugar/cocoa mixture and mix to a fluid yet not runny consistency

To put it all together

* Make a production line of Sponge Fingers, Chocolate Icing mixture in a bowl, coconut in a shallow container or plate, and a cooling rack with paper underneath.
* Using a fork dip the sponge fingers into the icing, roll it in the coconut covering it well, and then place on to the rack to dry.
* Once they have dried, place in an airtight container and leave to "mature" for at least a few hours, preferably overnight, before eating.

To make the sponge cake if you really want to

Ingredients

* 1/2 cup butter
* 3/4 cup castor sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2 eggs
* 2 cups self rising flour
* 1/2 cup milk

Method

* Grease and Line a Lamington Tin (11 x 8 x 1.5 inches)
* Cream the Butter, Castor Sugar and Vanilla until light and fluffy.
* Add the eggs one at a time beating together as you go.
* Fold in the Flour and Milk, alternating as you go.
* Pour the batter into the prepared tin, spread evenly, and bake in a Moderate Oven (375f/190c) for 30-40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
* Allow to stand for a few minutes before turning out on to a cooling rack.
* Leave to cool then store in the Fridge overnight.

http://www.aussiefavourites.com.au/cornershop/images/lamingtons.jpg
0 Replies