Answers to your gardening questions (by those in the know!)

Butrflynet

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 04:56 pm
@farmerman,
I've only heard of watermelons having both genders on the same plant. Had that occur last year on the one vine we had growing. The male was a pale green color but just as tasty as the red fleshed sisters.

The gender thing was only a guess. I can't think of any other reason other than maybe this is a seed from a hybrid and I'm getting one of each squash from both parents.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 06:50 pm
@farmerman,
Someone on Facebook said "Squash in the same family can cross pollinate, the seeds will produce another type of squash."

Does that sound plausible to you?
farmerman

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:31 pm
@Butrflynet,
I dont doubt it. I often plant habenero pepper plants next to my "Mountain SPring" tomatoes. The habenero imparts a nice zippy tang to the tomatoes.
Also, basil plants are supposed to impart flavors to tomatoes also.
roger

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 11:42 pm
@farmerman,
Oh Boy! Exactly what I need. Bite into a nice, juicy tomatoe and . . . AGGGHHH!
farmerman

Fri 22 Jul, 2011 03:55 am
@roger,
Nothing painful. Just a nice zip.
0 Replies

msolga

Sat 19 Nov, 2011 09:29 pm
I am contemplating growing my own garlic, rather than buying it.
I've read advice about growing garlic in the northern hemisphere, but our weather conditions are quite different here in Oz.
For example, in SE Oz where I live, it doesn't get nearly so cold, it never snows.
Any gardeners who can offer advice to a novice garlic grower for this region?
farmerman

Sat 19 Nov, 2011 09:38 pm
@msolga,
just reverse the seasons and plant in late fall and harvest in early summer. They grow just like tulips. CAn you grow tulips?. The problem with planting garlic in your springtime is that it will never develop big multi clove bulbs.
Im not certain about what varieties are available for your climate but since they grow garlic in the swampy parts of Fujien province, Im sure you can grow it in Oz.

ehBeth

Sat 19 Nov, 2011 09:49 pm
@msolga,
Lots of garlic is grown in California - shouldn't be a problem in Australia.
msolga

Sat 19 Nov, 2011 09:59 pm
@farmerman,
Thanks, farmer.

I have made the appropriate seasonal adjustments now. Smile
msolga

Sat 19 Nov, 2011 10:00 pm
@ehBeth,
I didn't think it was a problem, ehBeth.

It's just that I haven't done it before now. And wasn't sure of the best way to proceed.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 19 Nov, 2011 10:01 pm
@msolga,
DCurious, What are the seed catalogs that you have in Australia?
msolga

Sat 19 Nov, 2011 10:20 pm
@farmerman,
You know, farmer, I have never relied on seed catalogues.
That may be more of a US thing than in my local community.

Most of my serious gardening concerns can usually been addressed by local gardeners. Word of mouth.

But a successful garlic crop doesn't appear to have been too much of a local concern.

Thank you for helping out so far.
Butrflynet

Sat 19 Nov, 2011 11:23 pm
@msolga,
Government of Western Australia: Growing garlic in Western Australia
http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/PC_92689.html?s=0

Growing Garlic in Australia
http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/better-homes-gardens/gardening/plants/article/-/5824743/growing-garlic/

Pete gives us some hints on planting garlic and spring onion seed
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1593867.htm

How to grow garlic
http://www.homelife.com.au/garden/grow/how+to+grow+garlic,5332

0 Replies

msolga

Sun 20 Nov, 2011 07:30 pm
Thanks, Butrflynet.
Looks pretty straight forward.

OK, so March is planting time in my part of Oz .... that gives me plenty of time to check out different varieties. (I'll check out some seed catalogues for the first time, farmer.)

I'll post this here so I can find it for future reference:

Quote:
Growing Garlic

http://l.yimg.com/ea/im_siggnqUBBvIuK0U3ClBLTaEy2w---x120-q80/img/-/090817/blogimport_qnipiq-158hlq6.jpg

Garlic is one the easiest crops that you can grow. If ever there was a case of plant and forget, then garlic is it.
Gardening

And it's just as easy to grow in pots as it is in the ground. So read on for our step-by-step guide to planting your own organic, super-tasty garlic. You'll be enjoying superb home-grown flavour in no time.

Here's how

STEP 1. Gently separate your bulbs into individual cloves.

STEP 2. Dig a small hole for each clove. TIP: Prepare your soil in advance by adding quality compost or manure.

STEP 3. Plant about 8cm deep with the pointy end up, then gently back-fill around the clove and cover the hole with mulch.

STEP 4. In as little as 2 weeks the first shoots will appear.

STEP 5. When the foliage starts to die back, harvest. You can leave a few in the ground for a second season. Store bulbs in a cool, dry place and they'll last up to 8 months. You can even split up a bulb next season and start again.
How to grow garlic

Timing: For the best bulbs of garlic, plant at the right time. The rule of thumb is to plant close to the autumn equinox, about 20 March, or when the days start shortening and the nights become cooler.

Position: Like most bulbs, a full sun position gives the best results.

Soil: Free-draining fertile soil that's been improved with manure or compost before planting is ideal. In pots, use a quality potting mix.

Fertilising: At planting time, add a slow-release fertiliser and liquid feed across the growing season.

Water: Garlic is quite tolerant of dry conditions but suffers if it remains dry for extended periods. Keep it reliably moist, but not wet.
Where do I get good growing stock?

We've all had garlic shoot off in the pantry. Can you grow it? Yes. But it may not be the best variety and may have been sprayed. New bulbs are clones of the old, so if the garlic you select tastes bland, then it's not going to improve with growing.

Visit an organic greengrocer and buy a few different varieties of garlic. Taste them and plant the ones you like the most.

Mail-order seed and plant supply companies, such as Diggers, carry a wide range of garlic. They have varieties suitable for growing in most areas.
Your local garden centre may stock garlic or be able to order it for you from early autumn.

http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/better-homes-gardens/gardening/plants/article/-/5824743/growing-garlic/

ossobuco

Sun 20 Nov, 2011 07:54 pm
@msolga,
or

http://www.garlic-central.com/when-to-plant-garlic.html
msolga

Sun 20 Nov, 2011 08:03 pm
@ossobuco,
Surprised That's now, osso!

Thank you for posting this. I may give it a go earlier than I thought I could! Smile

Quote:
Spring Planting
Poor weather conditions often mean that spring planted garlic produces smaller bulbs. In addition the seed garlic must be chilled before planting in order to cause it to break out of its dormancy. That said, spring garlic planting can produce good results in the warmer Southern areas where it is often planted in late February or March. It also removes any possibility of the plant being damaged by the winter cold.

http://www.garlic-central.com/when-to-plant-garlic.html
ossobuco

Sun 20 Nov, 2011 08:06 pm
@msolga,
Ask at your local garden center - the good one - or go to the feed store, that's where I got my sets. Them guys know lots of ****.
msolga

Sun 20 Nov, 2011 08:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Will do! Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 20 Nov, 2011 08:13 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't know how Melbourne equalizes or doesn't re where I've lived, I'm guessing somewhat close. Got any local garden websites? There are some here in my area.
msolga

Sun 20 Nov, 2011 08:21 pm
@ossobuco,
I'll definitely check, osso.
But better still, as you suggested, check out a reputable local nursery.