Answers to your gardening questions (by those in the know!)

dyslexia

Mon 10 Dec, 2007 06:14 pm
boomerang wrote:
I have a question! I have a question!

Mo's classroom has a big planter box right outside the door - mostly full sun (morning sun). We are thinking of planting the box as a surprise holiday gift to his teachers/class. I was thinking of mixing in some good, new dirt, cutting some holes and leaving bulbs so that each kid could plant one. That way they could watch them grow in the spring.

We haven't had a freeze yet (close). I don't think it's too late to plant bulbs but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

We're in Oregon.
how big a box? how deep is the box? does it drain? do you want spring blooms? First thoughts include muscari/crocus and hyacinths. plant them about twice the depth of the size of the bulb and put about 1 tsp bone meal at the bottom of the hole, water well and leave alone. Soil must drain well.
0 Replies

boomerang

Mon 10 Dec, 2007 07:10 pm
The boxes (there are two) are each about 6x2x2.5

I believe it does drain but I don't know for sure.

Spring blooms would be good.

I was thinking tulips or daffodils. I think I remember reading that planting tulips in December here was a good idea but I really don't remember.

To give you an idea of what our weather is like right now -- I have a rose bush blooming even though it snowed just a tiny bit yesterday.

If I were to just plant it with growing plants instead what would you recommend?
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 10 Dec, 2007 07:52 pm
Hooray!

The experts have arrived! Very Happy
0 Replies

neko nomad

Tue 11 Dec, 2007 10:56 am
The answer is: Start them now in moistened vermiculite; transfer
to cold frames after their first true keaves grow out.

http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i1443767_Carnac.jpg

(opens evelope. drum roll...): When should I start my perennial seeds?
0 Replies

msolga

Sat 15 Dec, 2007 12:52 am
neko nomad wrote:
http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i1443767_Carnac.jpg

(opens evelope. drum roll...): When should I start my perennial seeds?

I wish I could advise, but I'm in the wrong hemisphere!

My next question is about tomato plants.

I'm growing two cherry tomato plants in two big pots. Out the back on the decking, with plenty of sun. Regularly watered.

These plants grew from the seeds of last summer's (HUGE & prolifically fruiting!) tomato plant.

Thing is, though the actual plant is doing fine, I feel there should be a few more flowers by now. There are some, but not as many as I think there should be by now.

Could it be?:

* the climate? Very changeable - from very humid & hot to quite chilly days. (Remember, this is Melbourne, Oz! :wink: Very unpredictable weather!) Usually our summers here are dry/hot. Not nearly so humid.

* that the plants have self-seeded from the previous summer's plant (which was a bought, grafted variety).

* Should I be feeding the plants more? They're growing in a mixture of quite rich potting mix combined with mushroom compost.

* or ..?
0 Replies

dadpad

Sat 15 Dec, 2007 06:24 am
We have green fruit on our Romas. and have had for a week or two.

Is the plant gangly? too much nitrogen will cause an excess ogf green growth.

Try tip pruning. Pinch back growing leaders to create laterals this is where the fruit will form.
0 Replies

littlek

Sat 15 Dec, 2007 11:08 am
tomatoes like it hot hot hot. I don't think the humidity has much effect. That's all I got for you.
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 17 Dec, 2007 01:27 am
dadpad wrote:
We have green fruit on our Romas. and have had for a week or two.

Is the plant gangly? too much nitrogen will cause an excess ogf green growth.

Try tip pruning. Pinch back growing leaders to create laterals this is where the fruit will form.

They are a little gangly, dadpad. (But tall!) I think I was so surprised that they grew so well (from such an unlikely start), that I just let em rip! Plus, I missed the "Cup Day deadline" - the last day for tomato planting in Melbourne, according to local wisdom. So they will be "later" developers than in previous years.

I've done the tip pruning thing (today) & both plants are looking pretty happy with themselves, all things considered. (Mainly the madly changeable weather!)

They're in a very warm spot, k. In fact, it may end up being too warm a spot if we have another of those hot, hot summers! That's one of the good things about growing in pots - you can change their position if necessary. Very Happy

Another question, if I may: what fertilizers are suitable for tomatoes in pots? I've always used blood & bone in my garden beds. Is Charlie Carp (or some other organic, liquid fertilizer) good for my purposes?
0 Replies

dadpad

Mon 17 Dec, 2007 01:36 am
It sounds like you dont need to worry about fertiliser Msolga.

Gangly tomatoe plants are usually the result of high Nitrogen.

As a general rule any all purpose balanced fertiliser will do for most vegetables.

Look on the side of the package you will see NRazz:K.

N = nitrogen P = phosphorus K = potassium.

Another rule of thumb

nitrogen for green leafy growth
phosphorus for root systems and woody stems
pottasium for fruit and flowers.
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 17 Dec, 2007 01:44 am
Actually, dadpad, I've tended to use blood n bone for just about all of my gardening purposes in the past. (A damb problem applying the stuff, when I had 3 marauding cats! Laughing)

But all this pot planting (due to reduced garden size since shifting house) has been a bit of a trial & error exercise.
0 Replies

dadpad

Mon 17 Dec, 2007 01:49 am
Osmacote slow release is really easy and the best thing for pots. Its what the pros use. I find it a little expensive in those tiny tubs but you can buy larger 10 kg bags if necessary.
0 Replies

msolga

Mon 17 Dec, 2007 01:56 am
OK, I'll try that if there isn't a profusion of flowers soon, dadpad.
0 Replies

msolga

Thu 20 Dec, 2007 07:19 pm
Another tomato question. (sorry!)

What's the possible cause & (hopefully) cure if: some (not all) flowers droop & fall off, not having produced fruit?
0 Replies

neko nomad

Fri 21 Dec, 2007 09:08 am
Msolga: I'm sure it's normal.
It's been my observation the plant drops flowers early on, but they're replaced as it matures at which point its energy is directed toward fruit development. This is particularly true for late varieties.
0 Replies

msolga

Fri 21 Dec, 2007 05:47 pm
Thanks, neko.

These two particular plants have been bit of a hit or miss venture! I'm surprised they're actually doing as well as they are - but now that I have an investment in their progress I'm now hoping for impossibly great things! Laughing

psst ... Seasons greetings to you & you know who from me & you know who! Very Happy :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Sat 22 Dec, 2007 10:24 pm
My first tiny cherry tomato fruits have appeared!
Overnight, it seems! Surprised
Hooray, I'm in business! Very Happy
0 Replies

neko nomad

Tue 25 Dec, 2007 12:10 pm
From her snowbound dwelling
across North America, over the
blackened hills of California
and the blue expanse of the Pacific,
over to your side of the Barrier Reef,
Nekochan extends a Meow-ery Christmas
to Mozzie-chan. Happy Holidays and Happy
Gardening from the Nomads. Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Tue 25 Dec, 2007 04:33 pm
neko nomad wrote:
From her snowbound dwelling
across North America, over the
blackened hills of California
and the blue expanse of the Pacific,
over to your side of the Barrier Reef,
Nekochan extends a Meow-ery Christmas
to Mozzie-chan. Happy Holidays and Happy
Gardening from the Nomads. Very Happy

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Lovely!
0 Replies

neko nomad

Thu 27 Dec, 2007 01:19 pm
Here's how the garden looks today; not much
to look at now, but you'll see as spring arrives
how much the plants I set out this year will
add to the scene. There will be new irises ,
crocuses,and a new peony to add to the floral
tapestry.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UABsHI4YQPeiptFMS4JjwKmfrFl5Bwc0HBaAWE1CUA92Yocfwkb9Mlt4rLXCr97bL834RB5o8Ec03*Ph!liNA3Se*4IoLdL4HJww4JPboVj4l!ziNldn4niCbBwEcGwc/nekonomad683A.jpg

edit: If no image appears, click on the x to see the enlargement. Ravens Realm acting up.. nn
0 Replies

neko nomad

Sat 5 Jan, 2008 03:27 pm
Oldtimer is recovering well in intensive
care since it was roughed up by a squirrel
this past summer. I placed it in a larger pot
after bringing it indoors, and new growth is
noe emerging. I'd say it lost over a third
of its foliage and branches. It will be 30
next November. Sweet relief !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/nekonomad/nekonomad691A.jpg
click photo for a closeup of one of its branches