A Second Digression: A State of Confusion.

patiodog

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 01:38 pm
cricket. sometimes i watch the imported computer programmers cricketing on my way to run the dogs on sunny weekend days. what an interminable game. i can't fathom a country with a simultaneous love for aussie rules football and cricket. they are, as far as i can tell, complete diametric opposites.

or do you just love it because you get to beat the english?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 01:53 pm
Pd

You're right - it is the opposite of Aussie Rules, but both are worth watching. (Rules has men with great legs - always worth watching!)

And yes, we do beat the English - but then, at present, we're beating everyone! A nice tactical game!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 02:03 pm
Well, I HATE football, howsoe'er she be played......it just isn't cricket!!!

Actually, I only watch cricket if 'tis too hot to do aught else....
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 02:20 pm
Well as to that, pd, 'tis me other ½ what's of the English distinction, and as to being settled, she ain't particularly that nivver, havin' to travel back regularly for deep inhalations of salt-caked, coal soot and the like. As for the Irish, or that party of 'em up at South Bend, she tinks they's a buncha nancys, all decked out in that wadding and armour. She'd fancy seein' 'em in a bit of a rugby scrum, wifout so much as a frayed jockstrap betwixt 'em.

'Tis only me what's native to this midriff section of the New World.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 02:33 pm
Beating the English is a damn fine thing though.....although I find the current domination of the Australians at the game boring in the extreme. Of course, this will alter in the fullness, or leanness, of time, as these things do, for pride goeth before a fall. Damn silly place to go too, I would have thought, rendering Pride constantly in danger of being fallen upon. Why has Pride not chosen to get well clear of a fall, or after it, or nowhere near it in the first place.....
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 04:04 pm
I've always liked the fall, though this year's sucked. But that's not the pint ... aren't you simply prejudiced towards pride as opposed to falling, which action I believe you could avoid were you not prejuiced ( which I assume you are ... again ) in the first place -- a condition I've noticed heretofore being all too common in those of your austenic pursuasion?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 04:28 pm
we've no notion of what be meant by prejuiced.

but back to the scrum --

rugby: five men trying to stuff three men up one man's arse.

or so somebody's said. no idea who it may've been, nor what particoolar euphemistic expressin they may have used for the unfortunate lone man's posterior. but you get the gist, i'm sure.

as for the pride thing, i think if the lions stuck around they might have a fine winter. but they don't appreciate seasons in the savannah, less'n it be georgia and the season means a break from the summer willow-brushed yoomidity.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 04:40 pm
Since football is being tossed around, I must report my heartbreak at the Packers being done in by those dastardly Bucs. I useta like Warren Sapp. Past tense. Sad
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 05:04 pm
Sozobe - I weep for you.

It was said that the Malamutes stole the game from the 3rd best college team by spraining the ankle of their quarterback, then stuffing in a FG. Obviously unfair.

Those on the dry-side were incensed, which at least made their cow barns smell better.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 05:15 pm
'tis a good thing it was out there. spared the die-hards the long lonely dirt-road ride back to pullman.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 05:30 pm
<snicker>

Awful really, I don't care but I love to beat them all the same!

Sorry to hear that the UDub has changed their policy... for a while I think that we got first priority for classes and guaranteed time off to take them.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 07:07 am
Confused in Florida
Shocked

Nobody..I mean nobody is as confused as I am here in Florida.

Soooooooo, I'll take this opportunity to deconfuse by saying:

Happy Thanksgiving to all you neat people.

Enjoy your dead turkey Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 07:12 am
Letty- Why are you confused in Florida?

Because the seasons don't jibe with the holidays?

Because they do everything so different here, that you think you are on a different planet?

Because everything that you thought was a "given" in your home state is turned upside down here?

Is that a reason to be confused? Very Happy
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 08:03 am
It is excellent that you are confused... isn't that what our hostess wanted?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 08:04 am
Would the state troopers in the State of Confusion consistently arrest the wrong persons?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 09:11 am
Yes, with help from the county mounties... who start out confused.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 09:36 am
Letty!! Hi sweetie. Of course you're confuzzeled, with all this talk of rugby, cricket and aussie rules football which means no rules at all except run for your life. And there you are in Florida where it never got to be fall, no pride nor leaves, and turkeys run the place. I had to leave for a couple of months for my own sanity, so drove back to Connecticut where fall and pride are so often seen in equal amounts.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 09:58 am
Letty -- Is there anything you'd like unraveled? Thank you, by the way, for your happy Thanksgiving wishes... Dead turkey? Uh-huh. Yes, I'm afraid so.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 10:22 am
Letty and Phoenix, cut me some slack here, will ya? Thanksgiving week last year, I was on Longboat Key off Sarasota, 85º. Spent most of the daylight watching bikini-clad maidens frolic on the beach.

Taking the same week off this year but stuck at home by the fireside, opting to watch the freezing drizzle rather than the gal across the way, her with them two ax-handles 'n a plug o' chawin' tobaccer wide hams encased in puce spandex britches, raking the last of the dank, dark, sodden leaves from her otherwise non-descript, sodden sod. Sod it all!

Guess I'll close the curtains and re-read the funny papers, though I'd infinitely rather be confused in FL, or Barbadoes, or Marbella, or ... well, you name it, I ain't fussy ... so long as it's 85º and sunny, has whitesand beaches, aqua agua and frolicing young damsels what need looking after.
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 11:40 am
For years I lived in a place with warm weather and aqua agua all year round, it was the malaria and dengue fever that drove me back to cold climes. Scratch the surface of a hot place, you find plate-sized fuzzy spiders and viruses that turn your eyeballs yellow.

There is a limit though. The last time I was in Wisconsin (it was February), I was scraping 8 inches of solid ice off my mother's roof. The ice-skating was great, though. Madison, Wisconsin has the best ice-skating lakes I've ever seen.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 04:25:11