A Second Digression: A State of Confusion.

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 08:17 pm
Did you rule out Kapuskasing entirely then?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 09:49 pm
http://www.heritagetoursonline.com/cappadoccia.html

Interesting... but a little isolated re my life, for me...
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 03:17 am
Setanta wrote:
The Uzbeks live too close to Afghanistan, i'd say Armenia.

That's true, Setanta; and, unfortunately, the Uzbek régime- which often kills people by scorching them in hot water couldrons- is not really compatible with someone who doesn't put up with that kind of oppression. Although Margo's suggestion that I could learn Uzbek to do one over other scrabblers is rather interesting.

Funnily enough, Bill, I spent a few days in Ulan Bator once, and it was an amazing ghost city; I certainly would not live there, though I once imagine buying a flat there and renting it out.

Eva wrote:
May I suggest a tropical island, drom? Your job prospects might not be any better, but if all else fails, you can sleep on the beach.

That's very true, Eva; some little piece of tropical paradise would be better than the cold of Armenia; but whereas rents there are £10 a month, it's obviously costlier someplace more æsthetic. I was thinking of buying an island, years ago, but the only one that I could afford was in Nova Scotia. I did see a farm in Belize that I could buy right now, near the sea, going for $7,000.

Ossobuco wrote:
So, Drom, have you been to Cappadoccia, by any chance?

Unfortunately no; I had the opportunity to go on a trip that would have taken in almost all of Turkey, including a few days in (admittedly amazing) Cappadoccia, but my health was not at its greatest point, and so I couldn't go; I'd love to see there, though; although I'd agree that the place to be would be Italy...

Edit- changing blue to dark blue.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 06:36 am
Blimey...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 09:23 am
That's easy for you to say, Deb.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 10:29 am
Good God, Belize??? Buy that farm! Buy that farm!!!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 10:39 am
Piffka wrote:
Good God, Belize??? Buy that farm! Buy that farm!!!

You know, Piffka, I think I will! It might put my rent cycle into turmoil, but you don't get an offer like that every day, especially in Belize, where the prices seem to be rising. Furthermore- of course- anyone who wants to stay there from here would be able to do so.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 10:57 am
Good plan!

I have a thriving house plant brought from Belize (probably illegally) by a friend who still waxes rhapsodic about her long visit there. Whenever I water it, I make a wish to go to Belize. My friend told me that everyone speaks a beautiful lilting English there. The weather is super. The waters are warm... the people are friendly. Life is good in Belize.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 11:16 am
You can certainly come, Piffka-- if I get it, of course; I would not charge you! Apparently it has all sorts of fruit trees and a quaint little private beach; it sounds perfect, and it's not that far away from a city either. Plus, I think of all the road trips possible: to Chile, to the US... I'm going to put an offer in, spontaneous as it is.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 11:32 am
oooooooohhhh! a farm by the sea, oh, gee...

hmmm, marshy? Still, that would mean lots of birds, wouldn't it?

Is there a building on it?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 11:46 am
Belize?Blimey...

Haven't you re-retired YET Margo?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 11:47 am
Yes; it is rather marshy, as the few photographs available show... there is a small 2-bed farmhouse already there (which the pictures don't show), but there is room for development. If I were there, I might build a few little huts by the sea rather than it the middle of the trees... either way, it seems wonderful... but I'll check it out before making an offer (giving me the opportunity to take another holiday Wink).

0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 11:48 am
Thanks loads, Drom. Reciprocity awaits you here. Wink

I worry, however, about your taking a road trip to CHILE! Egads... sounds like a National Geographic adventure. <I think I will look at maps & such.>

Still trying to remember the name of my Belize plant... Bella something, a vine with teeny flowers.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 11:54 am
dlowan wrote:
Haven't you re-retired YET Margo?

Razz bbbbllllllfffffttt!!!!!!!! What an idiot!! Doesn't deserve a response! Although I am wishing him particularly painful piles! Twisted Evil <Sorry all - this is a reference to an idot on another thread!>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 11:58 am
Where?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 12:40 pm
Thanks Piffka, I'd certainly take you up on anything; as for the whole plot, well it could become something like the Belize HQ of A2K, in time.

As for the trips to Chile: I was imagining, out of the thirteen or fourteen holiday weeks in the summer, spending nine there, and the rest travelling around the Americas, probably in a big van, with whoever would want to come...

0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 02:13 pm
Cool! PNW in the summer is definitely a good plan. Your idea for a van road trip reminds me of a trip one of Mr.P's cousins took... in a bus called "Further." Very Happy

http://www.geocities.com/beat1ebum/furthersm.jpg
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 02:17 pm
In a bus? A schoolbus, or a doubledecker? When I was younger, I wanted to drive from Vancouver to Chile in a bus...

Yes--- PNW in the winter is damp and wet, I suppose? You know, I always said that, if I were to move to America, I'd choose to live in either Oregon or Washington state...

0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 02:34 pm
Back on subject - eeeeeeeeeeeeeeh Exclamation I look into the inner bowels and see disillusionment, where is the beef Question
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 02:40 pm
Oh no, have you been eating mad cow? Or tainted salmon?

Drom -- Under all that paint is an old school bus.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 10:32:10