A Second Digression: A State of Confusion.

Piffka

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 09:05 am
Hee hee. I like that. Sort of a mobius strip of cat and nut.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 01:02 pm
I have nominated Craven as the ideal experimental subject. And there's be none of those wussy humane considerations with him!
Heaps gooder! Shocked
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 01:07 pm
He he, margo if your avatar suddenly reads "taken for an experiment"you will know who to yell at. tee hee
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 02:50 pm
20 years ago my nickname was boogie boogie, my best friend was boogie hips. Man, we were happening disco dolls.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 04:06 pm
Oh my goddess - peanut buttered cats as an energy source!

What ELSE can we think of?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 06:32 pm
And they said a perpetual motion machine was not possible. I'm impressed. Spinning kitties. A new power source.

Your mention of the peanut-buttered bread always landing peanut butter side down reminds me of an old story, I believe from Sholem Alechaim (sp?).

The village nebbish, a man of limited intellect, limited sense, and unfailing bad luck, would daily butter a slice of bread only to have the slice fall and land butter side down. One day, the bread landed butter side up. The nebbish was astonished--and thrilled. He raced to the village rabbi. He excitedly explained, "Rabbi, every day I butter a slice of bread, and every day the slice falls butter side down. But today, Rabbi, the slice landed butter side up! Is this an omen? A sign that things will be better for me? Please tell me, Rabbi." The rabbi sighed and said, "No my son. All it means is that you buttered the wrong side of the bread."
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 06:32 pm
I'm thinkin'... nope, not that! I'm thinkin'... oops. Forget that.

Ok, I thought.

Is it really true, as somebody said, that there are parking spots in NYC where the sign just reads "Don't Even Think About IT!"???
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 06:42 pm
margo wrote:
I have nominated Craven as the ideal experimental subject. And there's be none of those wussy humane considerations with him!
Heaps gooder! Shocked

Margo,

What do you think I could do to be able to be a meanie to deb and still not invoke the wrath of her amigas? See, I don't wanna fight with you (trys the puppy dog face trick), only dastardly deb!

Roberta,

Great story!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 08:34 pm
I love that story, Roberta!
Somebody once explained to me -- with a straight face, as I recall -- that there is a perfectly valid scientific reason why a buttered (or otherwise smeared) piece of bread will always land on the buttered (or smeared) side. Simple physics 101. The buttered side is heavier than the unbuttered side. Thus, the laws of gravity kick in.

Afterwards, he tried to sell me some waterfront property in southern Florida.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 10:19 pm
Piffka,

The signs say, "Don't even THINK about parking here."

R
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 03:02 am
How many sad years do motorists spend looking for parking places I wonder.I have never owned an automobile and probably won´t for a very long time.The bicycle is where it´s at and quicker than a car in rush hour.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 03:29 am
There used to be a sign at the Hospital for Women in Sydney, in an area that was critically short of parking spots, that said : Don't even think of parking here"

I'd never even heard of it before, and it just broke me up!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 08:16 am
Margo- Is this what you mean! Laughing

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SQDeApAW3lETg8lEqjxKrOpYrNXW7GXxeYH5v3FP0jk6Bxy8AtL2Z5Mp8my8y8pq8vNxHmLgMTsx4EAPZmNY9ZFBvURta*vZG5JWzrWD**XL2haQ8Xj*sA/Parking.jpg?dc=4675397530548912660
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 09:30 am
Cool, Phoenix!

I loved Paula Poundstone's comment on that. Wondering if it would get her arrested if she was driving by and saying "I'm thinking about it."
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 10:38 am
back to the cats... the cats' backs... we're going back to.

now, you gorta legume-eye leg, 'cuz you're pulling it, and it makes me pees. the fee-ligns prefers the ammond butter (as grampa used to say, the difference between an almond and an ammond is an almond's still on the tree and the ammond's fallen to the ground with the 'ell knocked out of it, though where the other "m" came from i can't say, 'less m's be horny and/or asexual ('posed to orasexual, which differs in slight degrees away from the vertical viewer, like the neglected ligand on the chiral blah blah blah) or it's "mm" because the nuts are mm-mm good, who can say), anywho, the katzes preferses the ammond butter, but i'm not sure why...

(this post has been edited for time and content, and formatted to fit your screen...)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 10:49 am
Maybe the 'ell got knocked down to an 'em?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 11:12 am
ah, the descendance school of alphabetization, typical of creationists who think that the letters were handed down to us from the Great Grendelsplat, fully formed, in the order in which we observe it.

Subscribing, as I do, to the evolutionary alpha-beta-ramifi-reupiffi-nondeificationist school, I believe that the alphabet evolved from a on up -- so if the 'ell was knocked down, we'd have an akmond. Perhaps, though, the potential energy lost during the fall was transferred to the second-letter orbital of the almond, which now exists in an excited state as an ammond. We can test for this, for, if this be the case, then ammonds (that is, almonds that have fallen to the ground) should contain more stored energy than almonds plucked directly from the tree. We just need to feed one subject only almonds and one subject only ammonds and see which gets fatter.

Here, kitty kitty kitty kitty...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 11:21 am
I"ve heard that before... akmond.

I still think it has to do with the motion of the mobius.

Do you need a cat? I've got one somewhere, a striped furball with not much tail. Manx, his mama were. He's awfully good and never scratches. He wouldn't be hurt would he be? Perhaps you need a cat with a tail, anyway.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 11:21 am
Now i feel like ol' Marykat . . . all confuzzled . . .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 11:34 am
Ha! No, I've coöpted (new yorker style typeeng, there) craven's subject. I hope he doesn't mind. I've already got my insitutional animal care committee's approval and everything...
http://sc.communities.msn.com/tn/38/51/littlekb/4/20a.jpg
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 12:46:30