Huckabee relies on divine intervention

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 05:33 pm
Quote:
The most egregious offender against basic American civics today is Huckabee, who told a group of students at Liberty University, the center of higher learning founded by the late Jerry Falwell, that his sudden rise in the Iowa polls is an act of God. He compared the improvement in his political fortunes to the New Testament miracle of the loaves and fishes. He wasn't joking, as both his demeanor and his words demonstrated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,245 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 05:36 pm
So, like . . . if he flops in Iowa, what will it be? A plague of locusts, sudden catastrophic flooding of the upper Mississippi? Will all the first born sons of Iowa Republican caucus participants be striken dead?

It don't look good for them boys and girls in I-oh-way . . .
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 05:38 pm
Setanta wrote:
So, like . . . if he flops in Iowa, what will it be? A plague of locusts, sudden catastrophic flooding of the upper Mississippi? Will all the first born sons of Iowa Republican caucus participants be striken dead?

It don't look good for them boys and girls in I-oh-way . . .
I didn't catch that pass to score a game winning touchdown because jesus was favoring the other side. Lettuce prey.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 05:55 pm
Huckabee's been endorsed by both Chuck Norris and Jesus Christ. Huckabee 38, mormons 17.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 05:57 pm
Drop kick me, Jesus, through the goal posts of life.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 06:06 pm
I watched him on TV this past weekend. He's personable and easy to watch. I can see how he would move up in the polls.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 09:00 pm
This is getting interesting. The Washington-centered republican crowd aren't happy with Huckabee's rise and they are tossing up ads against him. What I wish to see happen is the evangelical community getting very enthusiastic about their boy Huck but then finding that the money core of the RNC will knife him in the back without blinking.

ps...A month or so ago, Bill Clinton suggested that folks watch Huckabee.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 09:09 pm
The righty blogs are split big time on this one. It's fun to watch - a lot of very religious Republicans are getting behind him. But, a many of their own number have already invested significant time and money into Romney. The arguments have been spirited.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 06:29 am
blatham wrote:
This is getting interesting. The Washington-centered republican crowd aren't happy with Huckabee's rise and they are tossing up ads against him. What I wish to see happen is the evangelical community getting very enthusiastic about their boy Huck but then finding that the money core of the RNC will knife him in the back without blinking.

blatham, in your opinion...who are they killing him off for?

Cyclo, indeed the base don't know whether to scratch their watch or wind their ass.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 06:44 am
Brand X wrote:
blatham wrote:

Are you asking which other candidate would be preferred?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 06:46 am
blatham wrote:
Brand X wrote:
blatham wrote:

ja.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 08:45 am
Brand X wrote:
blatham wrote:
Brand X wrote:
blatham wrote:

ja.

It is playing out now.

Two considerations appear to be paramount...winning the election, and then having someone in place who will forward the interests of the Washington/Republican/corporate crowd.

Bush was really a perfect sort of candidate for them because of his projected electability, his membership within the monied republican business elites, because of his high predictability regarding future policies and personnel appointments and because he could be 'managed'. Contrary to Rove and Mehlman's insistance that Bush is a man of principle, he's really exactly the opposite. And that's ideal. A principled individual may act, out of his principles, as a barrier or counter-intention to corporate of partisan interests.

McCain, by contrast, is clearly disfavored by these folks. He has forwarded and fought for bills and policies which acted to diminish corporate power, their insulation from legal challenges and financial penalties, and their acces to power and manipulation of power through lobbying and election funding. Relatively, McCain is principled and that's the problem. He can't be predicted to acquiese to financial/corporate interests (or even to goals for party dominance), in fact, he can be predicted to work in opposition to those interests where his principles conflict.

Tancredo, aside from being inelectable, is clearly acting in opposition to serious money interests in the US. It seems a vulgarization to claim Tancredo is driven by principle (as opposed to racism and fear/distrust/hatred of the outsider) but in this context, it functions in the same way.

I suspect they had, though now not so much, hopes for Thompson. There's not much I know of to suggest he has the sort of strong principles which might work to obstruct. His poor performance to this point leaves him looking unelectable.

Again, I think Huckabee is not merely unpredictable (from the viewpoint of the interests we are discussing) but he's likely unelectable too. The only significant positives to this group (and they are significant) is his appeal to the evangelical part of the party along with a certain ease of manner that comes across well. Look to see Huckabee on the VP ticket because of those positives and because as VP he can be controlled. (Note how this is 180 degrees the converse of the present situation...you'd get a return to the weak VP. The 'revolution' Cheney has wrought re VP power is entirely utilitarian, there's no principle nor political philosophy behind it).

Which leave Romney and Giuliani. I confess that I can't read Romney well nor am I very clear on how this oligarchy/corporatocrasy I'm speaking of thinks about him. So I need to get better information/perception on this.

But Rudy is clearly their fellow at this point. The big texas oil money is behind him, the conservative party/movement infrastructure in Washington is behind him, the neoconservatives love him to pieces (as does a larger community of pro-Likud activists, centered mainly in New York but not exclusively and with a lot of money at their disposal), and broad financial and corporate interests find his ideas (and his crook identity) just what the doctor ordered. He looks possibly the most electible. He's a foil for Hillary.

That's how I see it presently.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 09:47 am
So, this morning, Charles Krauthammer... http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=Nzk4MmY2N2I5NGEzOTk4ZWNkYzU2ZWY0Njk5NWRkNjI=
Quote:
The God of the Founders, the God on the coinage, the God for whom Lincoln proclaimed Thanksgiving Day is the ineffable, ecumenical, nonsectarian Providence of the American civil religion whose relation to this blessed land is without appeal to any particular testament or ritual. Every mention of God in every inaugural address in American history refers to the deity in this kind of all-embracing, universal, nondenominational way. (The one exception: William Henry Harrison. He caught cold delivering that inaugural address. Thirty-one days later, he was dead. Draw your own conclusion.) I suspect that neither Jefferson's Providence nor Washington's Great Author nor Lincoln's Almighty would look kindly on the exploitation of religious differences for political gain. It is un-American. It is unfortunate that Romney has had to justify himself in response.

We'll keep seeing the glisten of long knives from people like Krauthammer so long as Huckabee holds other than a secondary or tertiary position.

The ridiculous part of this piece (and Krauthammer always is amply worthy of ridicule somewhere in his columns and speech) is in red. The administration/party/movement which Krauthammer has consistently found so little with which to criticize has ascended to power and maintained power through the strategic courting of religious bigots and the exploitation of religious difference.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 10:03 am
Wow...quite as that, the Hucabee team tosses a reply back to National Review...

Quote:
Friday, December 07, 2007
Team Huck Responds to Krauthammer

I asked Joe Carter, Mike Huckabee's director of research, for any thoughts on or reaction to Charles Krauthammer's column from this morning, which slams his man pretty hard.

He responded:

Quote:
Charles Krauthammer is an incredibily smart guy but, as sometimes happens with intellectuals, he's overtthinking the issues. For example, he points out that Governor Huckabee's ad uses the term "Christian leader." Krauthammer claims that this implies that this is "some special qualification for the presidency." The truth is much more banal: he's simply citing his resume. Prior to his political career, Huckabee was pastor of several Southern Baptist churches and served as president of the Arkansas Baptist State Convention. The ad was simply an introduction to who he is, not a claim about how being a religious leader makes him well qualified.

Carter is earning every penny Huckabee's paying him, but something in this explanation leaves me with a furrowed brow. When Huckabee made his statement about his rise in the polls, "There's only one explanation for it, and it's not a human one. It's the same power that helped a little boy with two fish and five loaves feed a crowd of five thousand people," we were told

Now that he's got the words "Christian Leader" in an ad, and some folks see an implicit slam at Romney, and again, no, no, no, we're misinterpreting Huckabee's words and actions. Just him touting his resume.

Maybe. But as we've seen in the debates, Huckabee's a really good communicator. Odd that his words would be so easy to misinterpret in this area.

12/07 03:26 PM

Once again, re the passage in red, I will pay a hundred bucks (canadian, it's dependable) to anyone who can find this NR writer or any other NR writer who suggested that Bush inappropriately suggested his special relationship with and steerage by the almighty.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 10:08 am
And in relation to all the above, here's one smart cookie...

Quote:
http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 10:11 am
Blatham
Blatham, in addition to being cool, you are so smart and articulate.

BBB
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 10:23 am
It's really just the strict regimen of negro music and drugs. I will pass on your kind remarks to them.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 10:26 am
Blatham
blatham wrote:
It's really just the strict regimen of negro music and drugs. I will pass on your kind remarks to them.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 06:08 pm
Murdoch has been pushing Giuliani consistently via Fox. Here his boys do another knife job on Huckabee. Keep watching. Much more to come.
http://static.crooksandliars.com/2007/12/nypost.jpg
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 06:47 pm
http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/2162/moneysparkler1004600x41ep5.png
0 Replies