I need TEQUILA - Plea for Help

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 11:28 am
I'd like to get my Judge a bottle of Tequilla and a set of shotglasses for Christmas. He LOVES LOVES LOVES Jose Cuervo Black.

I can't get him that because his secretary is getting him that. Don't wanna be a copycat ya know?

So, his JA mentioned some Tequila that might be spelled CULLA - but neither of us have been able to locate that online.

So, if you're a tequila drinker or know someone who is, can you please point me in the direction of something that is comparable to or better than Jose Cuervo Black?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,483 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 11:38 am
Patron Anejo....$$$
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 12:20 pm
Patron is great, but I also like Cabo Wabo. they are both fairly high dollar. I enjoyed several shots last night. Cool

Or be real different and get him Jose 1800 tequila liqueur.... really smooth chilled.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 12:29 pm
You might want to stick to the same family as the Jose Cuervo Black because there are so many different types & tastes.

Here is a link that explains the types:
http://cocktails.about.com/od/spirits/p/tqla_tme.htm
Apparently there are 4

...and from that same page, the link to the most popular brands in each category:
http://cocktails.about.com/od/spirits/p/tequila_brands.htm
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 01:05 pm
Patron's a good one, and so is Cuervo Gold 1800, its pretty smoothe.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 01:09 pm
sooo

do you think i shoud stick to an anejo then, because it'd be most like the 'black' cuervo he drinks?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 01:22 pm
1800 reposado is great, but 1800 añejo is even better.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 01:31 pm
onyxelle wrote:
sooo

do you think i shoud stick to an anejo then, because it'd be most like the 'black' cuervo he drinks?
To be on the safe side that would be my suggestion.

When I was going to Mexico, a friend asked me to pick up a bottle of tequila for him. I didn't think to ask what brand. So, when I went into a store that sold alcohol, I saw all the different brands. I had no way to know which one to choose. So, being me, I told the guy behind the counter I needed to sample each one. I was joking and he thought I was serious so he lined up cup after cup and started pouring different tequilas into them so I could taste every one, straight of course. I didn't want to be rude so, I did taste every single one. There were over 25 I tried. The taste varied a whole lot between them.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 01:58 pm
I just looked up the José Cuervo site and noticed that Cuervo Black is a blended, or mixto tequila. Sugar and or water are added during the distillation process. It's not 100% agave, which are the best quality tequilas.

Here's a price list for 100% agave añejo tequila from the about.com site that TTH linked:

Tequila Añejo :
1800 Añejo- $38, 80 proof, 100% agave
Sauza Tres Generaciones Añejo- $44, 80 proof, 100% agave
Don Eduardo Añejo- $63, 80 proof, 100% agave
Patron Añejo- $65, 80 proof, 100% agave
Chinaco Añejo- $67, 80 proof, 100% agave
Tezon Añejo- $70, 80 proof, 100% agave
Mi Tierra Añejo- $75, 80 proof, 100% agave
Cabo Wabo Añejo- $84, 80 proof, 100% agave
Casa Noble Extra Aged Añejo- $105, 80 proof, 100% agave
Cuervo La Reserva- $138, 80 proof, 100% agave
Rey Sol- $328, 80 proof, 100% agave
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 02:03 pm
http://www.thewhiskystore.de/usa/gdickel/dickelt07_4.jpg
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 02:03 pm
I have never tried Cabo Wabo but, I heard it is very good.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 06:55 pm
just a bump for those in the evening crowd that might want to make any suggestions to my original post.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 07:09 pm
Give him something different. He can enjoy it as a talking point with friends.

A bottle of Bundaberg Rum.

Liquid Gold.

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/992/50192519.JPG
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 07:13 pm
If Fbaezer is around, I bet he'd have some opinions. I seem to remember a list from him at some point, but I can't find it by searching.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 07:42 pm
Herradura Seleccion Suprema is one of the best tequilas from Guadalajara,
Jalisco. The climate is best for the blue agaves plant where tequila is made from.

Quote:
Herradura Seleccion Suprema is worlds away from traditional tequila. It is made from blue agave but it is an anejo tequila, aged in oak barrels for more than three years. Like a fine single malt or a cognac, the Seleccion Suprema has a rich amber color and a multi-layered palate. It is meant to be sipped at room temperature. The tequila comes in a beautiful decanter bottle and sells for around $300. Tequila purists may complain that the aging creates such a complex flavor that the agave gets lost in it but for those who are looking for something new to sip with a cigar, it's a nice change.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 07:46 pm
I've a friend that recommended the Blue Agave, but it is "different" from the black...

(I don't do tequila any more....well,... rarely)

RH
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 07:46 pm
Alternatively, a bottle of Dom Perignon Champagne is always a classy gift.

http://www.fruitlikeflowers.com/images/additionalgifts_domperignon.gif
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 10:41 pm
thanks CJ, but he's not a champagne sorta guy.

he's burgers and fries from the local gas station sorta guy.

maybe i just hunt about for a really nice set of shot glasses instead.

there seems to be so much to this whole tequila thing...more than i ever thought.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 10:45 pm
Aww, go get him a bottle of Crown and a set of Bourbon glasses. The good thing about Crown is its already gift wrapped...lol
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 10:57 pm
Quote:
he's burgers and fries from the local gas station sorta guy.

In that case he'd be oblivious to a high quality tequila. I think even the Crown would be underappreciated. Get him a bottle of Jack Daniel's and a set of shooters.
0 Replies