What took them so frigging long to think of this?

Intrepid

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 12:17 am
I would hope that it would have a manual override.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 02:41 am
I can only think of one real problem with these doors, the same one that doomed the push-button locks for me on car doors ---ice. These cars would have to be garaged. I don't own a car since moving to the city, but twice in my life I have flown back into a city (Tulsa) after a winter's vacation to find my car frozen over in the long term parking lot.

Once, I was lucky enough to have a cassette tape case in my pocket which I used to chip away enough of the coating to get one door open.
The second time I had to beg a guy to sell me his ice scraper after he was done with it. And then the push-buttons were still frozen too solid to open the lock.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Remote start w/the de-frost set to on before you leave it out in the open. That will work. Sure it will.
----====-----
Every tool worth using has at least two names:
jack knife, pocket knife;
channellock, slipjoint, waterpump pliers;
spanner, adjustable, crescent wrenchs;
machinist, ballpeen, sheetmetal hammers;
utility, sheetrock, belt knives;
monkey, stilson, pipe wrenchs (also known as a knucklebuster)

Everybody on the jobsite knows what you asking for when you say "Rig hammer or Short hammer. Onlookers see a stubby sledge.

Joe(Yet we figure it them all out)Nation
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 03:03 am
The more motors, the more chance something will go wrong. What happens when your window motor fails and the door goes sliding under your car with the window still up? And yeah, it's gotta be real big $$$ too.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 04:30 am
Do Americans use a podger?

It is a steel-erectors tool, one end is a spanner and the other is a tapered "drift" for aligning screw-holes in steelwork.

I mean, you must use it but what do you call it?

Yes, the doors could better slide upwards. Then halfway up, they would act as a kind of canopy. For when it rains.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 04:37 am
In the UK, a box cutter is known as a Stanley Knife.

My cousin related a story about this, when a judge in a serious assault case declared his intention to deliberate over the weekend on the appropriate sentence for a guilty defendant.

The man's lawyer asked the judge to consider the "Sword of Damocles" hanging over his client and his family, who were anxious to be told what the sentence would be.

The judge replied, if the client had paid less attention to the Knife of Stanley in his hand, he would not be facing custodial sentence now.

Well, it was funny at the time.
0 Replies