What took them so frigging long to think of this?

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 06:47 pm
I want one on the next car I buy.

Joe(or am I nuts?)Nation
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,103 • Replies: 24
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 08:24 pm
I love it. Could they put them on my 1994 Caravan, I wonder?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 08:39 pm
No way, everyone would see all my empty coffee cups, discarded socks, dog leashes, pens, gardening tools, books, maps, hair clips, etc that reside on the floor of my car.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 06:19 am
Green Witch wrote:
No way, everyone would see all my empty coffee cups, discarded socks, dog leashes, pens, gardening tools, books, maps, hair clips, etc that reside on the floor of my car.

ogod, you're right, Green Witch, I'd pull into the mall parking lot, drop the doors and a hundred and fifty newpaper pages would start blowing out all over the place.

Joe(Excuse me, did you see a Con Edison bill go flying by here?)Nation
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 06:28 am
My wife took one look at that video in the ad and said "Well, the only problem with that would be rain."
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 06:29 am
That's okay if it's not raining hard. Here, it rains hard a lot.

Joe, you understand hardware. (slight change of subject here, sorry). Why do the Americans call the type of knife which we call a clasp knife, or pocket knife, or penknife, or folding knife, a jack-knife?

Where did the name jack-knife come from?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 06:30 am
Why would rain be a problem? Open the door on the downwind side and open your umbrella.

Joe(Same as getting out of a cab in a NYC downpour.)Nation
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 07:09 am
McTag--

A "jack knife", like a jack-of-all-trades is adaptable to any purpose.

Give a frontier type an ax and a jack knife and he could build--and furnish-- a log cabin.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 07:40 am
I hope theres enough juice to allow one to be extracted after a serious T-bone accident. I have clautophobia-The fear of being locked in a car.

Farmer(I just made that up but it sounds like if it aint a real name, it oughta be)man
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 07:46 am
That baby should have been in a rear facing seat.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 12:27 pm
McTag wrote:
That's okay if it's not raining hard. Here, it rains hard a lot.

Joe, you understand hardware. (slight change of subject here, sorry). Why do the Americans call the type of knife which we call a clasp knife, or pocket knife, or penknife, or folding knife, a jack-knife?

Where did the name jack-knife come from?

I was going to guess from the French 'Jacque' and perhaps used in a pejorative sense because the tool was smaller than a sheath knife, but then I read this:
Quote:
jackknife
Origin: 1711

Americans may not have been the first to think of making a knife safe and portable by giving it a blade that folds into the handle, but we were the first to call it a jackknife. Our earliest notice is in the official records of Springfield, Massachusetts, for 1711: "One Dozen of Jack Knives, at six pence the knife" on one occasion, and "Eleven iron handled Jack knives" on another.

Jackknives were a traditional accouterment for boys who were growing up in America. Without them the playing of mumble-te-peg (an English game which antedates jackknife by eighty years at least) and the whittling of sticks (which probably antedates English and perhaps even the Bronze Age) can only be practiced by the possessors of the larger and more formidable sheath knife (1837). The practical advantage to the jackknife lies in its relatively safe transportability in one's pocket.

Where did we get the term? Perhaps it came from the Scottish word for a similar knife, jockteleg knife or Jock the Leg Knife, attested as early as 1672. Or perhaps it was from Jack meaning "sailor," since the knife was used by sailors.
link

It does look a little like an unfolding leg.

Joe(doesn't it?)Nation
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 04:43 pm
Well that's very interesting, thank you.

And no, I don't think you could just open the door on the leeward side.
Nice try, though.

Smile
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 05:09 pm
hmmm, i don't see why would it be any different from opening regular car door in the rain? you still expose the same area of the car...the open door does not protect that much from water.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 08:14 pm
Another big problem is if both car doors are opened at the same time in a windy day. If you are used to carrying papers, you can have a paper tornado.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 08:22 pm
McTag wrote:

Personally, I call it a pocket knife.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 09:20 pm
What if you only want to open your window? Confused

Also, it seems the doors need to be light in order to slide underneath
thus not very thick which would create a security problem in case of
an accident.

So no, I rather open the heavy door of my car manually.

Calamity(let Joe have it)Jane
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 10:35 pm
Shocked What if they decided not to slide open, or shut afterwards? Then what? lol
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 10:39 pm
you must have faith! problems will get solved as they arise. not before.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 10:39 pm
Anybody curious what this costs? Shocked I gotta idea $$$$$$

RH
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 12:06 am
The more moving parts there are the more chance something will go wrong.

For some reason I think it would be better to have the doors slide up rather than down.
0 Replies