Romney says Freedom requires Religion

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 01:21 pm
McGentrix wrote:
"positive morality"?

Laughing

Can you name a single president that has had "positive morality"?

Being a leader does not equate well with "positive morality" beyond religious leaders. It's not a leaders job to provide morality. Leadership is a process by which a person influences others to accomplish an objective and directs the organization in a way that makes it more cohesive and coherent*.

How dry. One would think that the Republican candidates (and the Dems to a lesser extent) would spend so much less time hawking their strong morals if this were actually the case.

I think the morality aspect comes in to play when faced with questions about whether or not the considerable powers of the executive should be brought to bear. It is easily understandable that our current exec has completely failed this test. The ability to do something does not automatically mean that one should do something....

I think Carter had a good moral sense, and to a certain extent Reagan as well. It doesn't mean that one will make the best president, but it doesn't hurt.

I say again, that Governance is not a business and shouldn't be ran like one. No matter how much you Republicans wish it could be that way.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 01:23 pm
Mitt Romney wrote:
Each religion has its own unique doctrines and history. These are not bases for criticism but rather a test of our tolerance.

No, sure. Never question faith. Mitt for prez' 09.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 01:24 pm
I know you are a big fan of the nanny state and wish the country ruled as a pre-school, but in real life, government is a business and the president is CEO. Having someone that has demonstrated successful leadership is a better candidate then someone that hasn't.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 01:30 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I know you are a big fan of the nanny state and wish the country ruled as a pre-school, but in real life, government is a business and the president is CEO. Having someone that has demonstrated successful leadership is a better candidate then someone that hasn't.

Can you explain for me why there is no historical record of successful CEO-presidents? No, you cannot. The truth is that the majority of Americans do not agree with your assertion that America is a business. It is not. I find it hard to believe that those who are constantly and consistently working in a for-profit environment easily adjust to working for a decidedly not-for-profit environment. A large part of the actions and activities of the gov't have no tangible or short-term gains. This is not compatible with the corporate mindset.

As I have said above, there's little actual evidence presented that any CEO exhibited any real leadership unless you are willing to delve into the details of the company in question. I've seen practically nobody on the web, and certainly nobody here, detail what it is about Romney or Giuliani which gives them actual 'leadership experience.' The only real factor is money, and I don't believe that making money is the equivalent of being a good leader.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 01:30 pm
Ya, like George Bush.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 01:40 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Can you explain for me why there is no historical record of successful CEO-presidents? No, you cannot. The truth is that the majority of Americans do not agree with your assertion that America is a business. It is not. I find it hard to believe that those who are constantly and consistently working in a for-profit environment easily adjust to working for a decidedly not-for-profit environment. A large part of the actions and activities of the gov't have no tangible or short-term gains. This is not compatible with the corporate mindset.

As I have said above, there's little actual evidence presented that any CEO exhibited any real leadership unless you are willing to delve into the details of the company in question. I've seen practically nobody on the web, and certainly nobody here, detail what it is about Romney or Giuliani which gives them actual 'leadership experience.' The only real factor is money, and I don't believe that making money is the equivalent of being a good leader.

Cycloptichorn

The easiest answer I can provide for you is that they haven't run for President. Steve Forbes and Ross Perot are the only 2 I can think of, were there others?

Almost every President has had a long career in politics. Kind of the cream rising to the top if you will. Eisenhower was an exception to that, but he had very strong and well respected skills as a leader.

If you are going to rule out Romney and Guiliani's experience as leaders (Governor and mayor of one of the largest cities in the world) then what exactly are you looking for as leadership experience? Rodham and Obama certainly have none in comparison.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 01:48 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Cycloptichorn

The easiest answer I can provide for you is that they haven't run for President. Steve Forbes and Ross Perot are the only 2 I can think of, were there others?

Almost every President has had a long career in politics. Kind of the cream rising to the top if you will. Eisenhower was an exception to that, but he had very strong and well respected skills as a leader.

If you are going to rule out Romney and Guiliani's experience as leaders (Governor and mayor of one of the largest cities in the world) then what exactly are you looking for as leadership experience? Rodham and Obama certainly have none in comparison.

You will note that I said nothing about the experience garnered from their terms in public office. In fact, I think that this is one of the strongest things that both of them have going for them. It is important to critically examine the actual record of the people in question; it isn't enough to have been a mayor or Gov., and say 'that = experience.' It doesn't, necessarily, though it is a good indicator of the ability to have gotten or shown experience.

I have consistently stated that their 'executive experience' cannot be derived simply from the fact that they run companies. If you follow back this conversational tack, you will see that this has been my point all along.

I agree with you that all candidates have their strengths and weaknesses; I don't believe Clinton's exhortations of experience any more then I do Romney's. And I think that it would make Obama a stronger candidate if he had more experience. But, he has far, far less negatives then any other candidate then McCain and many positives which the others lack.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 01:59 pm
Cyclop's got my vote.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 02:09 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You will note that I said nothing about the experience garnered from their terms in public office. In fact, I think that this is one of the strongest things that both of them have going for them. It is important to critically examine the actual record of the people in question; it isn't enough to have been a mayor or Gov., and say 'that = experience.' It doesn't, necessarily, though it is a good indicator of the ability to have gotten or shown experience.

I have consistently stated that their 'executive experience' cannot be derived simply from the fact that they run companies. If you follow back this conversational tack, you will see that this has been my point all along.

I agree with you that all candidates have their strengths and weaknesses; I don't believe Clinton's exhortations of experience any more then I do Romney's. And I think that it would make Obama a stronger candidate if he had more experience. But, he has far, far less negatives then any other candidate then McCain and many positives which the others lack.

Cycloptichorn

According to wiki:

Quote:
Business career

After graduation Romney went to work for the The Boston Consulting Group, where he had interned during the summer of 1974.[16] From 1978 to 1984, Romney was a vice president of Bain & Company, Inc., another Boston-based management consulting firm. In 1984, Romney left Bain & Company to co-found a Bain & Company spin-off private equity investment firm called Bain Capital.[17] During the 14 years he headed the company, Bain Capital's average annual internal rate of return on realized investments was 113 percent,[18] making money primarily through leveraged buyouts.[19] He invested in or bought many well-known companies such as Staples, Brookstone, Domino's, Sealy Corporation and The Sports Authority.[20]

In 1990, Romney was asked to return to Bain & Company, which was facing financial collapse. As CEO, Romney managed an effort to restructure the firm's employee stock-ownership plan, real-estate deals and bank loans, while increasing fiscal transparency. Within a year, he had led Bain & Company through a highly successful turnaround and returned the firm to profitability without layoffs or partner defections.[18]

Romney left Bain Capital in 1998 to head the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympic Games Organizing Committee.[21]

He and his wife have a net worth of between 190 and 250 million USD.[22]

CEO of the Salt Lake Organizing Committee

Romney served as president and CEO of the 2002 Olympic Winter Games held in Salt Lake City. In 1999, the event was running $379 million short of its revenue benchmarks. Plans were being made to scale back the games in order to compensate for the fiscal crisis.[23] The Games were also damaged by allegations of bribery involving top officials, including then Salt Lake Olympic Committee (SLOC) President and CEO Frank Joklik. Joklik and SLOC vice president Dave Johnson were forced to resign.[24]

On February 11, 1999, Romney was hired as the new president and CEO of the Salt Lake Organizing Committee.[25] Romney revamped the organization's leadership and policies, reduced budgets and boosted fundraising. He also worked to ensure the safety of the Games following the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 by coordinating a $300 million security budget.[26] Despite the initial fiscal shortfall, the Games ended up clearing a profit of $100 million, not counting the $224.5 million in security costs contributed by outside sources.[27][28]

Romney contributed $1 million to the Olympics, and donated the $825,000 salary he earned as President and CEO to charity.[29] He wrote a book about his experience called Turnaround (ISBN 978-1-59698-514-8).

Looks like a good deal of leadership in the business world. Again, return to the definition of leadership. Romney exemplifies what a good leader is. It's not all about money as you think it is, though a good businees leader will make money. Kind of the definition of success, but not leadership.

Would you agree that the CEO of a successful (profitable) company would have better leadership then the CEO of an unsuccessful company?

Romney leveraged his business success into a political one as Gov. of Mass. garnering him more, political, leadership opportunities.

But, if your point is simply that a business CEO does not equate to being President of the US, I don't see that anyone has argued that point so I wonder why it's a sticking point for you.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 02:33 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

According to wiki:

Quote:
Business career

After graduation Romney went to work for the The Boston Consulting Group, where he had interned during the summer of 1974.[16] From 1978 to 1984, Romney was a vice president of Bain & Company, Inc., another Boston-based management consulting firm. In 1984, Romney left Bain & Company to co-found a Bain & Company spin-off private equity investment firm called Bain Capital.[17] During the 14 years he headed the company, Bain Capital's average annual internal rate of return on realized investments was 113 percent,[18] making money primarily through leveraged buyouts.[19] He invested in or bought many well-known companies such as Staples, Brookstone, Domino's, Sealy Corporation and The Sports Authority.[20]

In 1990, Romney was asked to return to Bain & Company, which was facing financial collapse. As CEO, Romney managed an effort to restructure the firm's employee stock-ownership plan, real-estate deals and bank loans, while increasing fiscal transparency. Within a year, he had led Bain & Company through a highly successful turnaround and returned the firm to profitability without layoffs or partner defections.[18]

Romney left Bain Capital in 1998 to head the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympic Games Organizing Committee.[21]

He and his wife have a net worth of between 190 and 250 million USD.[22]

CEO of the Salt Lake Organizing Committee

Romney served as president and CEO of the 2002 Olympic Winter Games held in Salt Lake City. In 1999, the event was running $379 million short of its revenue benchmarks. Plans were being made to scale back the games in order to compensate for the fiscal crisis.[23] The Games were also damaged by allegations of bribery involving top officials, including then Salt Lake Olympic Committee (SLOC) President and CEO Frank Joklik. Joklik and SLOC vice president Dave Johnson were forced to resign.[24]

On February 11, 1999, Romney was hired as the new president and CEO of the Salt Lake Organizing Committee.[25] Romney revamped the organization's leadership and policies, reduced budgets and boosted fundraising. He also worked to ensure the safety of the Games following the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 by coordinating a $300 million security budget.[26] Despite the initial fiscal shortfall, the Games ended up clearing a profit of $100 million, not counting the $224.5 million in security costs contributed by outside sources.[27][28]

Romney contributed $1 million to the Olympics, and donated the $825,000 salary he earned as President and CEO to charity.[29] He wrote a book about his experience called Turnaround (ISBN 978-1-59698-514-8).

Looks like a good deal of leadership in the business world. Again, return to the definition of leadership. Romney exemplifies what a good leader is. It's not all about money as you think it is, though a good businees leader will make money. Kind of the definition of success, but not leadership.

Would you agree that the CEO of a successful (profitable) company would have better leadership then the CEO of an unsuccessful company?

Romney leveraged his business success into a political one as Gov. of Mass. garnering him more, political, leadership opportunities.

But, if your point is simply that a business CEO does not equate to being President of the US, I don't see that anyone has argued that point so I wonder why it's a sticking point for you.

It's vague information - what, specifically, did he do that made him an effective leader? It's quite difficult to judge the situation without any sort of information other then the overall behavior of the company while he was involved with it.

You ask,

Quote:

No, because individual variation in circumstance far outweigh such sweeping generalities. Without specific details, it is difficult to know if one is causing success, or success is occurring in spite of one's efforts.

I haven't worked in the Education realm all my life; I've worked for more then one successful company in which the 'leaders' either did nothing or actively harmed the efforts of those who were beneath them. I've no specific information that Romney is this kind of leader - but none of the reverse, either.

I don't believe money is the definition of success, unless your goal in life is to make lots and lots of money. And I also believe that leadership requires the ability to do what you consider to be the right thing, even if that choice doesn't lead to the maximum profitability for the group you represent in the short-run. You don't see much of that amongst business executives. I think the next presidential term will be as rocky as the last one, as we struggle as a nation to figure out a clearer course of action in respect to foreign relations. I believe that a rational and objective view of our situation is going to lead to a certain amount of re-adjustment of our behavior as a nation; in the short-term, this isn't going to be a fun thing. I haven't seen a lot of evidence that the CEO as leader has what it takes to take the long view, at the expense of profits for American companies and ambitions.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 03:00 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Almost every President has had a long career in politics. Kind of the cream rising to the top if you will.

That does not describe George Washington. It could only be applied to Andrew Jackson at a stretch, and the same goes for Abraham Lincoln. It does not describe William Henry Harrison. It does not describe Zachary Taylor. It does not describe Ulysses Grant. It does not describe Woodrow Wilson, unless you count two years as governor before being elected President--and you said a long career. It doesn't describe Herbert Hoover, unless you count being Secretary of Commerce, and you said a long career in politics.

So perhaps you'll want to change your claim that "Almost every President has had a long career in politics." Not even close to "almost every" . . .
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 03:10 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
It's vague information - what, specifically, did he do that made him an effective leader? It's quite difficult to judge the situation without any sort of information other then the overall behavior of the company while he was involved with it.

You ask,

Quote:

No, because individual variation in circumstance far outweigh such sweeping generalities. Without specific details, it is difficult to know if one is causing success, or success is occurring in spite of one's efforts.

I haven't worked in the Education realm all my life; I've worked for more then one successful company in which the 'leaders' either did nothing or actively harmed the efforts of those who were beneath them. I've no specific information that Romney is this kind of leader - but none of the reverse, either.

I don't believe money is the definition of success, unless your goal in life is to make lots and lots of money. And I also believe that leadership requires the ability to do what you consider to be the right thing, even if that choice doesn't lead to the maximum profitability for the group you represent in the short-run. You don't see much of that amongst business executives. I think the next presidential term will be as rocky as the last one, as we struggle as a nation to figure out a clearer course of action in respect to foreign relations. I believe that a rational and objective view of our situation is going to lead to a certain amount of re-adjustment of our behavior as a nation; in the short-term, this isn't going to be a fun thing. I haven't seen a lot of evidence that the CEO as leader has what it takes to take the long view, at the expense of profits for American companies and ambitions.

Cycloptichorn

Well, can you site any examples during Romney's career in politics where he demonstrated that his experience and leadership in the business world hindered his performance in any way?

There must be something for you to harbor these feelings that a CEO can not become an effective President, right?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 03:10 pm
Setanta wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Almost every President has had a long career in politics. Kind of the cream rising to the top if you will.

That does not describe George Washington. It could only be applied to Andrew Jackson at a stretch, and the same goes for Abraham Lincoln. It does not describe William Henry Harrison. It does not describe Zachary Taylor. It does not describe Ulysses Grant. It does not describe Woodrow Wilson, unless you count two years as governor before being elected President--and you said a long career. It doesn't describe Herbert Hoover, unless you count being Secretary of Commerce, and you said a long career in politics.

So perhaps you'll want to change your claim that "Almost every President has had a long career in politics." Not even close to "almost every" . . .

Nope. You want to pick nits and I am not in the mood today. The statement stands.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 03:26 pm
Quote:

There must be something for you to harbor these feelings that a CEO can not become an effective President, right?

I don't see a long record of CEOs making decisions which do not revolve around the maximum profit possible.

And, again, you will note that I have not said that CEOs cannot be effective presidents, but instead that being a CEO is not an indicator that one will be an effective president - a theory advanced by several in this thread, including yourself.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 03:28 pm
Setanta is continually harping back to the days of yore. He doesn't seem to be able to see that our world now is a different place entirely to the worlds of those presidents he mentioned.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 03:39 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

I don't see a long record of CEOs making decisions which do not revolve around the maximum profit possible.

And, again, you will note that I have not said that CEOs cannot be effective presidents, but instead that being a CEO is not an indicator that one will be an effective president - a theory advanced by several in this thread, including yourself.

Cycloptichorn

Considering the ineffectiveness of crystal balls and psychics, all we left is a candidates record and experience. Being a CEO would indicate more leadership experience then not being a CEO all else being equal.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 03:40 pm
Romney's claim that freedom requires religion caused the hairs on the back of my neck to curl. What a step toward theocracy. We all want a nation where all are free and if we are to have that we MUST have religion. Ghastly syllogism that.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 03:50 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Romney's claim that freedom requires religion caused the hairs on the back of my neck to curl. What a step toward theocracy. We all want a nation where all are free and if we are to have that we MUST have religion. Ghastly syllogism that.

Well, can you list the extensive list of free countries that lack religion?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 04:19 pm
McGentrix wrote:
JLNobody wrote:

Well, can you list the extensive list of free countries that lack religion?

The United States of America lacks religion. Some of the citizens choose to practice religion, but the country itself is secular and unaffiliated with religious principle.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 04:20 pm
JLN-

Ghastly frightening things cause hair to stand up straight--not curl. It's toes that curl for those.
0 Replies