What to Wear Out West in The Fall

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 06:08 pm
dys- Thanks for the "heads up". As far as the brightness, living in Florida I am used to it. I have two pair of sun glasses. One is very dark, the other quite a bit lighter. I think that I will bring both.

I am so glad that you mentioned water. I never even thought of taking our canteens! Embarrassed
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 06:11 pm
hehehehehehehe

just had a thought about Diane. I've met her a number of times - each time I've had some monstrosity of a hat. First there was the hat in Salem that makes me look a bit like a thumbtack - then in Tucson, the hat with the breathable chiffon top - then north of Boston, the hat that looks quite a bit like the one in dys' avatar - and finally, in the Catskills, the faux fur Russian-style hat with Tasmanian devil heads as tassels. On reflection, I've got some funny hats. Effective, but funny.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 06:13 pm
I think it's a good idea to be comfortable - especially if you're spending a lot of time inside your car. Jeans/wrinkle free slacks and polo shirts should do fine for most of the time. Layer clothing for cooler days, and a light jacket for evenings. c.i.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 06:19 pm
So Beth, you're the hat queen, it sounds like! Smile I love hats, but am a midget and so most make me look even more like a midget.

I did buy my first (and only) hat in the desert SW (Davis Mountains in SW Texas) -- It's kind of a cross between Annie Oakley and Laura Ingalls. It definately came in handy in that sun.

Also Phoenix, the air will be extremely dry so don't forget moisturizer! Wink
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 06:40 pm
dyslexia wrote:
having spent all of my adult life in the southwest i offer 2 absolutes, WATER and more WATER... and also never go anywhere without WATER!!!

Dang, this is true -- bring a bandanna and lots and lots of water! You may already know this tip, but if you can freeze bottles of water in your hotel room, they're wonderfully refreshing as they melt the next day.

You're gonna have fun, Phoenix! Zion is the only Utah National Park I know, but it is fabulous. I'm sure the others are as well. It is also great that you won't need to rush from place to place. You are cleverly going during that really good time of year when there shouldn't be any snow and most of the tourists have taken their kids and gone home. Very Happy

ALERT Exclamation Utah can be a lot chillier than AZ.

A place I've always wanted to go is at the bottom of the Grand Canyon where the Havasupai live... have you heard about this place?

http://www.havasupaitribe.com/images/mooney_falls.jpg

Havasupai Tribe
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 08:07 pm
Here's one link to the Havasupai Tribe. http://www.havasupaitribe.com/
There are several others on Google. c.i.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 08:32 pm
Florida sun shows more tendency to burn, but don't understimate the southwest. It's much higher and that bottom mile of dense atmosphere does a lot of shielding.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 08:38 pm
Roger -- Maybe the SW sun doesn't burn so much because of the dust???

CI -- Have you ever been to the Havasupai Lodge?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 08:58 pm
No. But you peaked my interest. Didn't even know they existed. c.i.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 09:02 pm
i been there
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 09:07 pm
CI -- It's just a half-day's drive from where you live, I think. I was looking at the latest Elderhostel catalog for the United States and they had a nice program there with some fairly vigorous hikes.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 09:11 pm
That's not it, Pifka. The air is usually remarkably clear, and the missing water vapor decreases the shielding too. The sun at the lower latitude of southern Florida is more directly over head on any given date and reflects back fromt the water and white sand. I experienced this on the Florida gathering and was a little surprised to have a modest burn.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 09:17 pm
Pifka, A half day's drive could be twelve hours for an old, beatup, man, crumbling by the hour. Wink
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 09:22 pm
Roger - You got a burn? Amazing!

Dyslexia!! I almost missed that. Well? Tell all, please!

CI -- Have you heard that a man should never work more than half a day?

He can either work the first twelve hours or the last twelve.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 07:40 am
Update:

Am packing for my trip. For those who have known me for awhile, you know that I have this "thing" about packing. I have so far,
packed enough stuff to keep me going for 6 months, and I am still finding more things to throw in, "just in case".

I have considered all the contingencies, from a heatwave to a frost. What I have done is to pack the lighter clothes in one suitcase, and the heavier ones in another.

Funny thing is, that at home, I have these three pair of ratty shorts that I wear all the time. When they are dirty, I wash them, and wear them again.

For those who have met me, you know that I am extremely casual in my dress, but there is something about travelling that turns me into a pack rat.

Help!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 07:46 am
Go back to piffka's original suggestions, Phoenix. She packs well, lightly and appropriately. Trust the piffka.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 07:50 am
ehBeth- Went back and reread Piffka's suggestions. She gave me some good ideas. Thanks for reminding me!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 08:13 am
Teehee. Thanks, Beth. I am a "gear freak". As I recall, you're quite the packer yourself. Don't you think she should take her favorite blanket?

Phoenix, I hope you are your favorite pair of ratty shorts. If they're good enough for Florida, they're sure good enough for the desert. Maybe you should take 'em all and one pair of comfortable jeans.

Two suitcases? To parks? <shaking head sadly> Don't you have a duffle bag? Is this a trip without a tent?

What are you bringing for cooking at picnics?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 10:33 am
Here's an idea I remember from one of my trips; a lady brings one of those stuffed dolls with her everywhere she travels to, and has a picture taken of her and the stuffed doll. It seems to add a little something to her travels. As for me, I don't have my picture taken to most places I travel, except at those world-famous sights. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 11:10 am
SW clothes
I agree with Dys about water and with Beth re big hats.

My recommendation to avoid having to pack a lot of clothes is to simply pack layering clothes. For example, a tank top when hot, a shirt to cover the tank when just warm, a wool (not synthetic) sweater over the tank-shirt-when it gets chilly at night. A jacket over everything when you are freezing cold.

Cotton shorts can be covered with jeans when it turns cold.

Sandals are OK around town, but closed shoes or boots needed in rougher country.

And, above all, a good insect repellent spray containing Deet to protect yourself against bites by mosquitos infected with the West Nile Virus.

I don't think anyone will care what colors you wear. Just be comfortable.

Again, always have water with you and a big hat to protect you from the sun.

Have a great time.

---BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies