Thanks & salutes to Helen Thomas BEFORE SHE DIES

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 10:02 am
I want to thank and salute Helen Thomas for her courage in standing up to power all of her journalism career WHILE SHE IS ALIVE. We didn't get to say goodbye to Molly Ivins before she died and don't want to miss expressing our admiration for Helen for being a pain in the butt to abusers of power for our benefit.

While other reporters went along to get along to protect their jobs, Helen Thomas was fearless in trying to get to the truth from all of the presidents she reported on---and, despite the risk, she kept her job for 57 years.

Thank you gutsy lady Helen - Salude!

BBB

The young Helen Thomas

imgurl=http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/200602/images/article4_img1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/200602/calling.helen.thomas.htm&h=325&w=270&sz=17&hl=en&start=27&tbnid=m9z6Ag0aR78qeM:&tbnh=118&tbnw=98&prev=

The old Helen Thomas
http://www.chancellor.ku.edu/annual-report/images/gallery/11.jpg

http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/200602/images/article4_img1.jpg

Helen Thomas
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

President George W. Bush conveys birthday wishes to reporter Helen Thomas in the James S. Brady Press Briefing Room.Helen Thomas (born August 4, 1920) is a noted news service reporter, a Hearst Newspapers columnist, and member of the White House Press Corps. She has served for 57 years as a correspondent and White House bureau chief for United Press International (UPI). Thomas has covered every president since John F. Kennedy, was the first woman officer of the National Press Club, was the first woman member and president of the White House Correspondents Association, and the first woman member of the Gridiron Club. She has written four books, including her latest, Watchdogs of Democracy?: The Waning Washington Press Corps and How It Has Failed the Public.

Early life and career

Thomas was born in Winchester, Kentucky, to Lebanese immigrants.[1] She was reared in Detroit, Michigan and attended Wayne University, graduating with a bachelor's degree in 1942. Thomas' first job in journalism was as a copygirl for the now-defunct Washington Daily News, but shortly after she was promoted to cub reporter she was laid off as part of massive cutbacks at the paper.

Thomas joined UPI in 1943 and reported on women's topics for their radio wire service. Later in the decade she wrote their "Names in the News" column, and after 1955 she covered federal agencies such as the Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare. Thomas served as president of the Women's National Press Club from 1959-60.

Presidential correspondent

Thomas and Gerald Ford, 1976(note [Dick Cheney] on the far left)In November 1960, Thomas began covering then President-elect John F. Kennedy, following him to the White House in January 1961 as a UPI correspondent. During this assignment, Thomas became known as the "Sitting Buddha" and closed presidential press conferences with the tagline "Thank you, Mr. President."

Thomas was the only female print journalist to travel with President Richard M. Nixon to China during his historic trip in 1972. She has traveled around the world several times with Presidents Nixon, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush, Bill Clinton, and George W. Bush, and has covered every Economic Summit.

She later became White House Bureau Chief for UPI, where she was employed until her resignation on May 17, 2000. At this time, UPI was acquired by News World Communications, which owns The Washington Times; Thomas has responded to allegations that she quit because of the Times' conservative record by offering that News World Communications has ties to Sun Myung Moon's Unification Church.[2] Thomas then became a White House correspondent and a columnist for King Features Syndicate (Hearst Corporation).

Bush administration

Traditionally, Thomas sat in the front row and asked the first question during White House press conferences, but according to Thomas in a 2006 Daily Show interview, this ended because she no longer represents a wire service. Thomas has since been moved to the back row during press conferences, although she still sits in the front row during press briefings. She is called upon at briefings on a daily basis but no longer ends Presidential news conferences saying "Thank you, Mr. President." Asked why she is now seated in the back row, she said, "Because they don't like me... I ask too mean questions." [3]

On March 21, 2006, Thomas was called upon directly by President Bush for the first time in three years. Thomas asked Bush about the war in Iraq:

" I'd like to ask you, Mr. President, your decision to invade Iraq has caused the deaths of thousands of Americans and Iraqis, wounds of Americans and Iraqis for a lifetime. Every reason given, publicly at least, has turned out not to be true. My question is: Why did you really want to go to war? From the moment you stepped into the White House, from your Cabinet -- your Cabinet officers, intelligence people, and so forth -- what was your real reason? You have said it wasn't oil -- quest for oil, it hasn't been Israel, or anything else. What was it? "

Bush responded by discussing the overall "war on terror", and stated as a reason for the invasion, that Saddam Hussein chose to deny inspectors and not to disclose.[4] Thomas was criticized by conservative commentators for her exchange with Bush. [5]

Thomas has publicly expressed her opinion about Bush. After a speech at a Society of Professional Journalists banquet, she told an autograph seeker who asked why she was sad, "I'm covering the worst president in American history." The autograph seeker was a sports writer for the Daily Breeze and her comments were published. After she was not called upon during a press conference for the first time in over four decades, she wrote to the president to apologize.[6] She also told The Hill "The day Dick Cheney is going to run for president, I'll kill myself. All we need is another liar... I think he'd like to run, but it would be a sad day for the country if he does."[7]

At a student journalism conference hosted by the Center for American Progress on June 2, 2006, Thomas opined that many journalists did not give accurate, critical reports on the Iraq War. She said she hopes for the return of hard reporting, and that the student audience should be "out on the street" in protest instead of sitting in the conference room.

At the July 18, 2006 White House press briefing, Thomas remarked, "The United States is not that helpless. It could have stopped the bombardment of Lebanon. We have that much control with the Israelis...we have gone for collective punishment against all of Lebanon and Palestine." Press Secretary Tony Snow responded, "Thank you for the Hezbollah view." [8]

On July 12, 2007, Thomas accused President Bush of starting the Iraq War as his "war of choice" and insisted that he alone could end it anytime he wanted to by handing it over to the United Nations.

Thomas has also been critical of the United States Congress. At a question and answer session held at Drake University on September 27, 2007, Thomas said that the "gutless wonder Congress doesn't have the courage to do what it needs to do" regarding the war.

Thomas took time to discuss her career in an interview with John Palmer on Retirement Living TV.[9]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 406 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 10:04 am
like her or love her, and I'm one of the latter... she's a hell of a great piece of work.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 10:12 am
Bear
Bear, you were so quick I couldn't edit the correct URLs for her young picture and get rid of the wide screen.

Here it is:
http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/200602/images/article4_img1.jpg
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 10:25 am
Helen Thomas latest TV panel
You can watch the still fiesty Helen Thomas on C-SPAN panel. She and David Gregory really get into it re journalist bravery.

White House Reporters
George Washington University
National Press Club
Harvard University, Shorenstein Washington Program
Washington, District of Columbia (United States)
ID: 202486 - 11/26/2007 - 1:11 - $24.95

Thomas, Helen Columnist, Hearst Newspapers
Kalb, Marvin Senior Fellow, Shorenstein (Joan) Center on the Press, Politics, and Public Policy
Gregory, David Chief Correspondent, NBC News, White House
Rather, Dan Anchor, HDNet, Dan Rather Reports
Sanger, David E. Chief Correspondent, [New York Times], Washington, DC

Marvin Kalb talks to Helen Thomas, David Gregory, and Dan Rather about how the press covers the White House.

"The Kalb Report: Thank You, Mr. President" Veteran White House journalists examine the Press and the Presidency
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 10:26 am
BBB I'm a quick Bear unless the occasion calls for taking your time :wink:
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 10:28 am
Bear
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
BBB I'm a quick Bear unless the occasion calls for taking your time :wink:

I know---you just can't help but prolong the enjoyment.

BBB Razz
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 10:35 am
I'm a care Bear....
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 10:39 am
Bear
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I'm a care Bear....

You are a rascal care bear.

BBB
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 12:20 pm
Thanks Helen.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 05:02 pm
Helen Thomas recalls presidents and shifts in politics
Chronicle Online
April 10, 2007

White House press corps legend Helen Thomas recalls presidents and shifts in politics over 65-year career

By Daniel Aloi

Veteran White House correspondent Helen Thomas was true to form when she spoke at Cornell April 9 -- she held nothing back in questioning President Bush's policies and the war on Iraq.

Renowned journalist Helen Thomas speaks with Cornell Political Coalition Co-President Ben Ware '08 prior to her April 9 talk in Statler Auditorium.
"We've never been in worse shape as a country," Thomas said to a nearly full house in Statler Auditorium. "Truth has taken a holiday in this war. President Bush struck a match across the Middle East and invaded that country. Who are we? What have we become? Whose war is this? … Is this America? This is the time to start thinking of peaceful solutions to set our world right again."

Thomas recalled highlights from her six-decade career as a journalist, joining United Press International's Washington bureau in 1943 and covering nine consecutive presidents from John F. Kennedy, when she became the first woman to join the White House press corps in 1961, to George W. Bush -- "all well-intentioned, but something happened on the way to the forum," she said.

At age 86, she still speaks up at presidential press conferences. "Why?" is her favorite question, she said.

"I decided I wanted to be a newswoman in high school," she said. "I saw my first byline and my ego swelled; I was hooked for life."

In her 30-minute talk, Thomas delivered a reasoned but scathing indictment of the current administration, the war, and topics from wiretapping and war profiteering to a compliant press and ineffective politics on both sides of the aisle. She also recounted historic moments from the Civil Rights Act to the end of the Cold War.

"I came to Washington in a different era, when government was respected and liberals were not demonized for wanting a better society," she said. "It was a hopeful time, and the idealists were legion."

Helen Thomas delivers her lecture April 9 in Statler Auditorium.
She advised students to learn as much as they could and to find a job they loved. "I was so lucky to pick a career where my curiosity and nosiness would work for me," she said.

Thomas also shared anecdotes about presidents she has worked with -- and challenged -- over the years:

Gerald Ford -- "President Ford likened my questions to acupuncture," she said. "He said, 'If God had created the world in six days, on the seventh day he would not have rested, he would have had to explain it to Helen Thomas.'"

John F. Kennedy -- "He set goals for us; he gave us hope."

Lyndon B. Johnson -- When he read a draft of a speech quoting Voltaire, he said, "'Voltaire? The people I'm talking to aren't going to know who Voltaire is.' So he scratched out 'Voltaire' and wrote, 'As my dear old daddy used to say …'"

Richard Nixon -- Despite many bad decisions, "he was politically astute -- if he were standing here today, he could tell you who'd win the presidency in 2008."

Bill Clinton (known for his love of fatty foods) -- He "was asked why the press rode along in a motorcade when he went jogging. He said, 'They just want to see if I drop dead.' That's true! We were on the body watch."

George H.W. Bush -- "After the liberation of Kuwait [in 1991], he wisely decided not to go on to Baghdad, because he said there would be house-to-house fighting and civil war. Imagine that."

Thomas also answered questions from the audience.

"How do you contain your disbelief?" she was asked.

"I don't contain it. I am a cynic with hope; I believe you should ask questions."

Thomas' lecture was sponsored by the Cornell Political Coalition. After her talk, she attended a dinner reception at Alice Cook House.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 05:05 pm
Helen Thomas, Consumer Advocate
News/Talk All Things Considered
Helen Thomas, Consumer Advocate
Live Web cast July 13, 2000, 1 p.m. ET

If journalism is the "first rough draft of history," then Helen Thomas has written many first drafts during her 59-year career.

The venerable UPI reporter took a front row seat to history on a daily basis during her decades as a White House correspondent. Colleagues and critics alike agree she was one of the best.

Thomas covered eight Presidents over the years -- from John F. Kennedy to Bill Clinton. Lyndon Johnson was mad at her for breaking the news of his daughter Luci's wedding; Nixon asked her to pray for him during the Watergate crisis; all the Presidents knew they had to deal with her tough questions. Although she always tried to treat them with respect, she was never afraid to ruffle feathers to get the story. At Presidential press conferences she usually asked the first question, and always ended the sessions with her signature, "Thank you, Mr. President."

For a woman, it wasn't easy getting to the front row of the White House briefing room. Thomas broke many barriers on her way to the top. She did it with grit, chutzpah, and talent. Basically, it started on vacation--President-elect John F. Kennedy's in Palm Beach, Florida, in 1960. Seizing an opportunity, Thomas veered from the "woman's angle" stories she was expected to file, reported on the news of the day, and never looked back.

In 1970 Thomas was promoted to the position of White House correspondent. She was the only print journalist to go on President Nixon's historic trip to China in 1972. Thomas became UPI's White House bureau chief in 1974, the first woman to hold such a position for a wire service. When the National Press Club opened its membership to women in 1971, Thomas became its first female officer. She became the first female member of the exclusive press organization, the Gridiron Club, in 1975, and then became its president in 1993.

Thomas ended her UPI career in May 2000, resigning after it was sold to News World Communications, a company controlled by the Reverend Sun Myung Moon, founder of the Unification Church.

Thomas was born on August 4, 1920 in Winchester, Kentucky to George Thomas and Mary Thomas. Her parents had emigrated to the U.S. in 1903 with only $17 between them. Thomas went to Wayne University and after graduation moved to Washington, D.C. to start her long career.

In her recent book, "Front Row at the White House: My Life and Times" Thomas wrote, "We in the press have a special role since there is no other institution in our society ... that can hold the president accountable. I do believe that our democracy can endure and prevail only if the American people are informed." For decades, Helen Thomas kept the public well informed.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 05:08 pm
Thomas quote
Helen Thomas once said, "I am a little more courageous in speaking out. But then, I used to work for a wire service. It was, 'just the facts, ma'am.' If your mother told you she loved you, you'd check it out.

But now, I can express myself and go for broke."
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 05:13 pm
what a formidable woman !
how tough her questioning was , was demonstrated imo when she was shooed out of the frontrow-seat that she had occupied for many years .
THE PEN IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD ! (and a sharp tongue helps too :wink: ) .
hbg
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 05:31 pm
Thomas Helen=
A human with moral and civil courage to confront the real corporate corrupt compassionate conservative country's callous culture
All the embedded journalists in WP or NYT, or CSM
or any xyz tabloids should learn something from her.
Rama Fuchs
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:21 pm
helen thomas tackled pretty well anyone , no matter what their political stripes !
hbg
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 09:38 am
Helen Thomas Talks About The Mistakes She Could Never Make
Helen Thomas Talks About The Mistakes She Could Never Make
My Favorite Mistake by Seema Kalia
Posted December 4, 2007

"My Favorite Mistake" is a new bimonthly series in which writer Seema Kalia interviews various luminaries about the one mistake that taught them the most.

We asked journalist Helen Thomas to be our first interview subject for this column so we could learn something about her professional past that was particularly memorable - something that might have left such a significant imprint that it informed how she did her work as a reporter from thereon.

She, being Helen Thomas, questioned the entire premise of the interview. Stating, in short, that as a political reporter, she simply isn't allowed to make mistakes:

Helen Thomas: I don't have any mistakes to tell you about.

Seema Kalia: You don't have any recollection of any time you didn't do something well?

No, not that I know of. I don't say I'm perfect, and I do say I've made mistakes, but nothing that's colossal.

The spirit of this interview is really to explore the role of mistake-making as part of the growth of people who are really successful at what they do.

No, no, no...you're looking for something else; you want people to flagellate themselves.

There are many people I'd like to see flagellated in Washington, but you are not among them.

Well, I can't think of any [mistakes] that would be earth-shaking. Everybody makes mistakes. I don't know any reporter that hasn't done some Monday morning quarter-backing and wondered if they could have done something better; should they have asked a different question? But one thing about our business -- one thing about journalism -- is if you make a mistake, you're finished. Your mistake is on the front page and you don't have a job the next day. That's the way I've always seen it, and that's how it happens. I think we pay a higher penalty for our mistake than anyone else because it's so glaring when we do.

Do you think the political figures would do better to admit mistakes sooner, like when they make them?

I think they know that. I think most politicians would definitely expose missteps in their past, put it on the table. They would be considered very courageous and they'd go on from there. [And] I think it eases the pain; it's out there so it isn't a great exposé. Then it's left to the judgment of people. And people are usually forgiving, if it isn't a monumental mistake.

Is the American public too forgiving of its public figures?

Not in my opinion. You can forgive, but you don't have to elect them. [Laughs.]

Well, election is probably the favorite form of forgiveness for a politician, isn't it?

I'm sure that would weigh in for a lot of them [laughs]. I wish we knew more about our leaders as they're going in [to office] rather than coming out. I think we should have known more about the President and so forth. You need to know more. Much more.

Well, whose mistake was that?

It's ours. It's our job to probe.

What would you say to a young reporter who, in their exuberance, published something that turns out to not be true?

If it isn't too earth-shaking, then I would assure them, "This is what you did wrong..." and give them a second chance. But I don't think you get another chance if you make a mistake involving a big story.

Do you think technology is changing that? That a good reporter will always find a venue because there are so many media outlets now?

No, but I do think it is kind of sad when everybody who owns a laptop thinks they're a journalist and doesn't understand the ethics. We do have to have some sense of what's right and wrong in this job. Of how far we can go. We don't make accusations without absolute proof. We're not prosecutors. We don't assume.

So if there's this amateur league of journalists out there, trying to do what you do...

It's dangerous.

What makes it dangerous? Isn't more information always better?

Not necessarily. Not if it isn't true. It could be out there and it could really muck up the whole picture. I'm not trying to suppress information; I'm just saying you have to be very careful.

My advice is simply try, as best you can, to only write the truth and try to check everything, and I think you just hope for the best. And, certainly, if someone gives you a story, I think you have to look a gift horse in the mouth. You have to find out why they're peddling it to you.

Always question why anybody does things. That's probably good advice for anybody.
0 Replies