Spiders

Montana

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 10:58 pm
I have a huge fear of spiders. I go out to my garden all content and begin to weed, prune, etc, but at this time of the season I always come face to face with some spiders who have formed webs in my tomatoes. I'll be bending over pruning my tomatoes moving along when suddenlly I come face to face with a huge spider web with a monster spider on it. I swear I almost fell flat on my ass so many times from the fear and it's very frustrating. I love gardening and the only thing that kills my pleasure is those damn spiders who scare me half to death. Anyone else as afraid of those things as I am?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,801 • Replies: 94
No top replies

THe ReDHoRN

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 11:48 pm
I can live with spiders but ooohhh wow you have a tomato garden? I want a pumpkin patch! Is it true that when you water your vegetable plants with milk, they grow larger?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 03:36 am
I am ridiculously pathetic around them - but I recognize it as an irrational fear, in the main.

Would it help to identify your tomato patch spiders? To know whether they are threatening in any way to you?

It sounds wonderful that you have them as your guards and pest exterminators - I am sure that they will help deliver you a great crop. Can you imagine them as soldiers helping to protect your garden?

I do not like spiders indoors - but they have never bothered me outside.....
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 04:28 am
I hate spiders (probably nearly a phobia, but not quite), but only ones above a certain size. As a general rule of thumb if it's bigger than 1/2" leg-span then it goes outside. Any smaller than that I will ignore.

I think it's the fact they are predators (and damn good ones) that makes people bothered by them - the speed and agility.

I could never pick one up though. Someone thought it would be funny to drop a large one in my hand (nearly half the size of my palm!) when I was drunk a few years ago. I responded by clapping my hands together hard to kill it, then rubbing it in the joker's face. Harsh luck for the spider, I know, but sometimes people take things too far where phobias are concerned.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 04:43 am
I don't have a problem with spiders. Auditors are much scarier...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 04:51 am
hmmmmmmmmm..... depends on your guilt level....
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 10:00 am
Wow, a spider discussion. How serendipitous. I have spiders both inside and out. The inside ones tend to be small and harmless - just make a mess with their webs. But the outside ones are something else. I met up with a momma black widow last night on my deck as I was messing with my plants, and I hurridly dumped her over the railing. This morning, while working in that very area, weeding, etc., I made a point of wearing gloves and looking intently at where I was about to put my hands. Yesterday morning, a man came over to install a water faucet for a hose connection and found a very large black widow's nest in back of the pump house. After much swearing and swatting and banging, he dispatched it. This is precisely the area where I have my compost heap and I was going to haul some weeds to it yesterday. I never would have been looking for it and probably would not recognize it if I saw it.

We also have the recluse spider around here in abundance. Both deadly, and I worry about the cats.

The only thing I dislike more than spiders is snakes, and we have these around here too. I came home from running errands and found Haiku pawing at a 4' long guy, and it scared me to death, not knowing what kind of snake it was. Unfortunately, my reaction as I carried Haiku into the house clearly conveyed my fear and Haiku spent most of the next week under the bed. Sigh.
Found a small guy on my front porch about two weeks ago.

I agree with Harrison Ford's notable adventurer character, whose screen name escapes me at the moment. I hate snakes. They give me a jolt of pure fear.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 10:46 am
Will you walk into my parlour?

asked the spider to the fly"

http://www.the-dreaming.demon.co.uk/

incy wincy spider
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 10:54 am
sumac, Indiana Jones is the guy.

I have many tiny spiders inside that don't bother me at all. I usually just ignore them. But bigger spiders are smashed quickly. The only ones that give me the heebie-jeebies are the hairy ones.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 11:02 am
I had a spider last year that built a web almost 15' in diameter. I kept knocking it down because it was in my way, and he kept rebuilding it. I finally had to coax him from his hiding place and squash him like the bug he was. This spider was about the size of a walnut.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 11:15 am
Yuck!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 11:32 am
We have:
Black Widows (letting the one in the window well live - she's getting pretty large)
Hobo Spiders
Giant House Spiders (bigger than a silver dollar)
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 11:32 am
Yikes!
What's most frustrating is, you can knock down a web all day long but they always rebuild. You're lucky Montana that the spiders stay outside of your house. There are so many spider webs being constantly knocked down and rebuilt in my home, I'm trying to figure a way, at this point, to work them into the decor. Just call me Morticia... Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 11:33 am
Hobo Spiders eh, husker...I take it they prefer to ride the web, rather than build their own Laughing
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 11:37 am
hahahahaha!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 11:38 am
hahahahaha!
0 Replies

kev

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 03:53 pm
I'm not bothered by spiders at all, but thats probably because living in Britain we dont have any big scary looking critters. I may think differently if britain was overrun by this fella and his relatives.

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/index.pl?photo=93867&size=big
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 09:57 pm
Wow!!! Much more responses that I expected in a day. Interesting and creepy stories you guys. I don't mind the ones outside unless they're in my garden. My garden is my little peaceful place and when I run into those spiders my nerves just go haywire.

Dlowan
I know that the spiders are one of the good garden bugs, but I just can't help being creeped out. There was a huge one I ran into the other day and for a spider it was actually kind of pretty. It was pitch black except that the stomache part was yellow and black. It looked kind of cool, but it was about 3" long and I got rid of the web twice before it gave up and stopped building it.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 10:20 pm
I hate spiders. Don't care if most of them are more scared of me than I am of them.....I hate'em. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 10:23 pm
I think I'm more afraid of them than they are of me, lol!
0 Replies