Spiders

Montana

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 08:42 pm
Piffka
I know what you mean, but just the thought of possibe huge spiders near me would ruin me, LOL!

I bet the horse was scared! In a case like that it's wondering what the horse is gonna do that freaks you out.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 09:17 pm
I will be trying to find out more about those spiders, Montana, believe me! (If I do, I'll be sure and tell you.)

The horse was startled, but he was such a good horse that he only sidled a little bit off the trail and would have kept going. We stopped to listen to the snake and he kept his back feet far away from the pile of brush that was rattling. The horse's name, btw, was "Big Dick"... no kidding! Wink He was about 17 1/2 hands high - really tall - a part-Percheron. I had to drop the stirrups to get up, then raise them back to the right length for my short legs.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 09:31 pm
Why didn't you just carry a little rope ladder?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 09:34 pm
Montana - chances are you would never see any of the fearsome fauna if you came to Oz! We don't have the nasty funnelwebs where I live - but I have spent long periods in Sydney and never seen one.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 09:46 pm
dlowan wrote:
Why didn't you just carry a little rope ladder?

heehee -- I didn't even think of that. Maybe a lariat with a loop would have worked....
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 09:48 pm
eoe-
Yes, the horned tomato caterpillars are horrible. And they can kill the plant real fast. Hope that you have some parasitic wasps around. If you see one of those guys with white things sticking out of its back, leave it alone. The parasitic wasps (good guys) are doing their thing and the bad guy is as good as dead.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 09:21 am
Piffka wrote:
I will be trying to find out more about those spiders, Montana, believe me! (If I do, I'll be sure and tell you.)

The horse was startled, but he was such a good horse that he only sidled a little bit off the trail and would have kept going. We stopped to listen to the snake and he kept his back feet far away from the pile of brush that was rattling. The horse's name, btw, was "Big Dick"... no kidding! Wink He was about 17 1/2 hands high - really tall - a part-Percheron. I had to drop the stirrups to get up, then raise them back to the right length for my short legs.

That's one big horsey all right. I bet he's beautiful. LOL on the Big Dick :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 09:23 am
dlowan wrote:
Montana - chances are you would never see any of the fearsome fauna if you came to Oz! We don't have the nasty funnelwebs where I live - but I have spent long periods in Sydney and never seen one.

I'm sure you're right, but with my luck I probably would. There's also the flying thing that I can't get around <sigh>
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 09:32 am
Arachnid Arrival

The ongoing heat wave across Europe is believed to have brought out an infestation of poisonous spiders never seen before in Romania. One man died and 11 others were hospitalized after being bitten by the unidentified arachnids, which first appeared on the country's Black Sea coast. Doctors said the spider bites triggered headaches, dizziness and muscle spasms. Medical and insect experts in Constanta were examining some of the spiders, said to look like the black widow variety found in the Americas.

(From Earthweek)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 09:51 am
Cav, that's horrible! People said that with Global Warming, there could be changes in resident populations of various creepy crawlers. <shudder>
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 10:38 am
Add rain and humidity and you have the perfect recipe for an explosion of creepy crawling and flying things. It is bug city here in eastern NC.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 11:04 am
Oh Boy!!! That's all we need are more bugs <sigh>
0 Replies

petunia555555

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 07:17 pm
yikes...I HATE SPIDERS...been reading through this thread...I WILL NOT look at the pictures, thank you....I can take the little ones, and grand daddy long legs....just reading all of this makes my skin all crawly...

what's that on the back of my neck, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!! Embarrassed
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 09:39 pm
Hi Petunia - I see you're one of us! Welcome to a2k!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 06:30 am
LOL Petunia! I know exactly how you feel. Welcome to A2K :-D
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 06:46 am
And petunia is a soon to be ex-smoker.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 06:49 am
From what I can remember of my uni zoology course, spiders have hydraulic legs (if you break their carapace, they can't run and leak to death...) and their lungs look like a slightly-open upside-down book. Their nearest relatives are scorpions, crabs & lobsters. The things looking like boxing gloves in front of their heads are the sperm-depositors of the males. And they have 8 eyes (I think).

Not scary, not funny, but merely interesting...!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 06:52 am
lobsters is my favorite type of spider, preferrably with drawn butter . . .
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 06:55 am
And some lemon juice.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 06:58 am
Setanta, an exo-skeleton and eight legs does not an arachnid make....
0 Replies