Spiders

Rae

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 10:38 pm
Jeez.....and I thought I was paranoid!

I swear, Montana ~ they truly are more afraid of you than you are of them.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 10:53 pm
How timely -- I've just spent all afternoon cleaning up thick spider webs from some little-used outdoor cupboards. <shudder> I wore gloves and wielded a long broom and dustpan. This month seems to be big for spiders, at least around here.

I don't like spiders! For a long time even a photograph of a spider in a book would keep me from touching the book. I've gotten over my most horrifying fears. No more blood-curdling screams from me when I see one... just a quick gasp... ackkk, not again! Here in western Washington we hardly have any dangerous spiders... just an occasional giant hobo that is supposed to give a good bite. No black widows and whether the brown recluse is here is debatable. We do have gigantic wall-walkers but I've found that they keep down the population of the other spiders so I mostly ignore them. I truly hate it though when a spider gives me a shock. My advice to spiders is: Don't run at me, don't spook me and I won't smash you. I'm attracted to some of the spiders in the garden... there's one kind that has golden spots and another that seems to be all pale green. I don't let them touch me (duh) but they don't seem so creepy. I admit I like spider webs... especially when they're covered in dew. They're so beautiful.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 11:56 pm
tip, DON'T MOVE TO GEORGIA lol I swear the home of every dangerous spider is in GA.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 04:47 am
Ozland has some nasty spiders, like those funnel spiders....
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 04:48 am
http://www.austmus.gov.au/factsheets/funnelweb.htm
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 06:06 am
I don't think the UK has any poisonous spiders, but even so I'd rather move somewhere colder with less natural insect/arachnid life... like northern Norway or the New Zealand mountains...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 06:47 am
Or Canada, your passport is most likely still good...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 07:12 am
Doesn't this just send shivers down your back? I didn't want to touch the mouse on my computer after moving this over here. A funnel spider, fat & icky.

http://www.austmus.gov.au/factsheets/images/funnelweb3.jpg
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 07:14 am
I think it's the legs... they can reach out from underneath the mouse and touch your hand. <shudder>
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 07:21 am
Well, the legs and the possibly fatal bite...brrr....
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 07:43 am
Yeah, what's the point of that???

Ugly & deadly freakin' spiders.... ugh.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 07:45 am
Piffka wrote:
How timely -- I've just spent all afternoon cleaning up thick spider webs from some little-used outdoor cupboards. <shudder> I wore gloves and wielded a long broom and dustpan. This month seems to be big for spiders, at least around here.

I don't like spiders! For a long time even a photograph of a spider in a book would keep me from touching the book. I've gotten over my most horrifying fears. No more blood-curdling screams from me when I see one... just a quick gasp... ackkk, not again! Here in western Washington we hardly have any dangerous spiders... just an occasional giant hobo that is supposed to give a good bite. No black widows and whether the brown recluse is here is debatable. We do have gigantic wall-walkers but I've found that they keep down the population of the other spiders so I mostly ignore them. I truly hate it though when a spider gives me a shock. My advice to spiders is: Don't run at me, don't spook me and I won't smash you. I'm attracted to some of the spiders in the garden... there's one kind that has golden spots and another that seems to be all pale green. I don't let them touch me (duh) but they don't seem so creepy. I admit I like spider webs... especially when they're covered in dew. They're so beautiful.

I'm the same way. When I was little I'd run off screaming, but I'm also at the gasp stage. When I find them in my garden I'm always bending over pruning my tomatoes when I come face to face with the web and the spider. At this point the rush of fear that goes through me is awful and I can't help imagine that if I didn't look up to see the huge web and took one more step, my head would have done right through the web. Just saying it makes my skin crawl, ewwwwwwww!!!!!!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 07:48 am
cavfancier wrote:
Or Canada, your passport is most likely still good...

Don't forget Cav that I am in Canada and the spiders outside are pretty darm big. I suppose country life has it's down sides as well. If those things were in the house I wouldn't be able to live here, lol!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 07:50 am
Rae wrote:
Jeez.....and I thought I was paranoid!

I swear, Montana ~ they truly are more afraid of you than you are of them.

I don't know about that Rae. If anything, I think the fear is atleast equal for both me and the creepy crawlers, LOL!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 07:51 am
Hey, here's another reason not to go to Ozland:

http://www.wettropics.gov.au/pa/pa_spiders.html
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 07:54 am
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Runs away screaming!!!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 07:55 am
Montana, yeah, I have seen some pretty big spiders here, but generally not of the poisonous variety...mostly those giant but harmless wolf spiders that hang around docks and gardens. I should mention, they are not venomous, but some people do have allergies to their bite.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 07:59 am
I hear ya Cav, unfortunately it's just their looks that send shivers down my spine, yuk!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 08:20 am
Here's a website of the big scary and the one dangerous spider that exists in western Washington. If you can put up with the giant wall-walkers, they will keep the dangerous spiders type under control.

Tegenaria agrestis vs Tegenaria gigantea

<faints>
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 08:39 am
Pick up a spatula, collect yourself, look that spider in it's many eyes and calmly say: "Who's the predator now...."
0 Replies