Moths in the pantry!

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 03:33 am
Cedar is for wool eaters.... which you don't have.....

BTW...A method used in my hippier days.....
you can lay any garment down on the kitchen table and vacuum the living daylights out of it........not only just about does the job of dry cleaning (it doesn't remove smells) it sucks up any eggs any critters have left behind.....

Joe
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 03:53 am
You teachin' Little k how to suck eggs?!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 04:52 am
er... now that you mention it....... yeah..... Razz
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 04:00 pm
oh my! Er, thanks, I think, Joe.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 04:06 pm
ummmm, should i still come, or will it be a closed to public session?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 04:12 pm
Dasha, it's always nice when you visit, but I don't want to suck you in to the moth hell!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 05:50 pm
LittleK, If they are Indian meal moths , (and it's a pretty good bet they are) they can come from flour and cereal, but also from dog and cat food and even bird seed. I always keep my flour in the freezer. Keep the dog food et al in the garage or in airtight containers.

http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/entomology/factsheets/moths.html
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 06:52 pm
yep, that be them. Garage! HAha! I will, however, look for some airtight containers.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 09:06 pm
Hmm, but I wonder if you put your flour in a cedar chest...would the moths germinate?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 12:03 am
Osso - I dunno, but I expect so. As is stated above, these aren't clothing moths.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 12:28 am
Yah, I was just wondering....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 08:05 am
Anyway, this little duckie doesn't have a lot of $ for trying different methods. I'll get some specific moth traps soon and hope they work.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 06:56 pm
Dagmaraka is a saint. She came over to help clean out the pantry. She worked with me (and sometimes without me) for 4 hours. We made a gigantic mess, but we cleaned out all the nests, bleach-water-sprayed all the surfaces and cracks. Wiped the whole pantry down from top to bottom. NASTY!

We tossed all the paper bags, all the plastic bags will go to be recycled (except for a few Bootsie-bags). We moved all the uneccessary junk to the basement (paint, hardware, plant pots, extra pans and bowls).

We have 3 recycling bins full of plastic, glass, and metal. And 5 bags full of paper to recycle on wednesday. Those are outside.

My new housemate went to Target and bought (among other things), large plastic containers with clip-down lids and a garment bag for our coats.

I bought 4 pantry moth traps for the left-over live moths (those moths are now going nuts!), a new bag of dog food (most of 20 lbs of dogfood was eggified), and a lavender/cedar sachet for the garment bag - just in case.

My head hurts.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 07:14 pm
You still have some wine?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 07:23 pm
Dagmaraka is a saint! Wow!

Looks like you worked plenty hard yourself, littlek.

Clean slate! Fresh start! Be afraid, moths! Be very afraid!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 08:20 pm
I think myself that it is heat that makes the little dears - That Come In Flour to Your House - eggify and germinate. I have had little moth egg thingies in sealed containers, sorry to say, down in LA at the top of the summer. I don't know if I am right about the bay leaves...they didn't always work, but when they didn't it was because they were months old, I think. If you have any remaining money, I'd consider trying putting in a few.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2003 09:44 pm
Ah Little k and Daggles - you may be tired, but you are in a state of grace and fit to meet your maker, should such a misfortune as to necessitate this occur tonight, which I heartily hope is not the case - but I think you get what I mean....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 08:33 am
Awwww, Dasha is a grand pal, isn't she! I like that woman. Very Happy

What did Boots and Screech think of all the hubbub?

You must have tons of room in the pantry now.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 08:43 am
Hello eveyone, I feel almost normal this morning. 2 advils and a glass of wine (yes we still have wine) took the edge off my headache. I slept well. But, there were points to yesterday that I felt as if I might be about to meet my maker.

We still have moths. They are incessant. Evil. But, they are under control. I keep trying to figure out why I'm obsessing so. Is it merely because they eat my food?

Osso, I don't doubt the heat helped them along. And we had eggies in sealed packies as well. I have bay leaves aplenty I love using them to cook with!

Boots watched most of it and looked a little sad that her 2 favorite people were paying her very little attention. Screech didn't care much until it was all over and now he keeps walking in there like it's a new kingdom.

TONS of space!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 10:44 am
K, They not only eat your food, but their eggs and larvae are IN your food and Bootsie's and Screech's. OK Let's all do a collective YUK! I'm glad you got rid of them, but be aware that they come into your house through food you buy at the local supermarket. It's inevitable. Everybody's vulnerable, so don't think it's your housekeeping. It's not. We all have to make sure we store these products in air tight containers.
0 Replies