Unemployed Loser!

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 08:45 pm
Im an unemployed Loser. I live in a small town where it is hard to get a job. I was originally from Houston now Im in this **** hole. Im a loser because I use my parents as a reference on my job application. I have no work experience. I've applied for 7 jobs this week and no one has called me back. I wanna wear nice clothes like slacks and skirts and pumps. I also want to be around office supplies. Im 1,300 dollars in debt! And would somebody please play me a song from their violin!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,313 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Montana

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 08:55 pm
I'm sorry to hear that ReD, but hang in there girl.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:01 pm
Girl? I saw Redhorn as a guy... hmmm...

Anyway, good luck to you and don't sweat it. I'm sure it's not the best situation, but just do what you can to get out on your own and don't stress out about the present. It doesn't do anyone any good.

Where have you applied for work?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:05 pm
Maybe ReD is a guy. I appologize if I was wrong.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:07 pm
Just one of those online thangs. I could easily be wrong. There is that Cav-fetish.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:48 pm
Not all that many guys around here aspire to nice pumps, but who knows?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:48 pm
teehee
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:49 pm
That's what made me think female Roger ;-)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:51 pm
ok, so the evidence (cav-fetish, skirt, heels...) would point to redhorn being a chick..... but but but.... aw hell, aright.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:55 pm
LOL
0 Replies

THe ReDHoRN

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 11:15 pm
Im actually a woman, but I dont embrace my femininity. I have the ambitions suitable enough for a man! But I dont seem to be to concious of being a woman. I love knowledge and knowledge has no gender, this element pretty much rules over the way I live my life. But I am reaching the phase where I do want to get married and have a kid when Im 30. Oh these strange biological urges. For some odd reason I want a husband really badly! I don't know if it is an age thing or what? Well thanks for your concern I'll hang in there and blockbuster really needs some people so hopefully they'll call. Thanks anyways!
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 12:02 am
Red, I seem to remember somewhere reading that you've just graduatated from High School...is that right? Jeez....don't think about marriage yet. Especially with your intelligence and ambitions. You're still growing.

About the job thing...yeah, welcome to the club. Don't feel bad, it's tough out there, especially in small towns. That doesn't make you a loser, just part of the club, like I said.

Keep on moving...you'll do great.
0 Replies

THe ReDHoRN

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 12:04 am
why thank you I now feel a lot better!
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 12:20 am
Red I thought I would share my experiances to you since we are not far apart in age at all. I joined the Army at 17 an now 19 and just got out after a hell of an experiance, in 2 years I did well enough to teach a class at Ft. Benning!. If I can do that anyone can lol. I am now semi employed meaning I am an admin for a webserver but don't get paid much and don't get many hours. This has lead me in a new direction in life, I am now studying to become a locksmith and know the feeling of uselessness your going through as the last 6 months had no direction for me untill about 3 days ago when I said HEY THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO DO. the key i to find what you enjoy and turn it into money. As far as the marriage issue I got married at age 18 my wife was 17 and we are happy but we had known each other for the last 11 years and been dating monogamously for 3 years. We are happy but you don't seem ready, get your life going toward a goal and then you can focus on relationships.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 12:59 am
I'd give you another story, Red, but something tells me that you wouldn't consider it that interesting.

I'll just say that you and others in your generation are starting adult life in a really bad spot. You're having to compete with adults for the jobs that would have previously been reserved for high-school grads with no college education. And the size of the city says a lot -- I'm in Tulsa, which has a very small amount of available jobs compared with the number of people unemployed because of lay-offs. I was in Dallas last week, and was amazed by the number of "help wanted" signs around town. And things are bad for Dallas. But bad for Dallas is different from bad for Tulsa, and it's related to size and number of companies available for hiring. So you're going through the same thing, and unless you can move to a town like Houston or Dallas, you're going to have a harder time finding a job.

Everyone's facing that. I hope I didn't sound like I was belittling your problem, I was just trying to point out that you're not alone, and that there are people with a hell-of-a-lot of experience that are having a hard time too, just because the jobs aren't out there. You're not a loser, you're just part of a bad economy, and that's not your fault.

If you're just starting out in college, I would recommend restaurant work -- no matter what your parents say, (heehee) it's a great way to make reasonably good money and make connections, meet cool people at the same time. It's perfect for anyone in a new town or new situation. And, it's easier to find jobs in that area than others.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 04:55 am
safecracker, wow, I would have pegged you as a lot older...must be all the recipes....I thought I was the only freak who had that sort of collection and interest in cooking at 19 Very Happy

Red, it's true, everyone is suffering now, it's hard all around. The good thing is that while you continue to look for work, you can work on that book of yours. Once you start working, that passion may fall by the wayside, so do it now.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 08:06 am
Red, over 2 million jobs have been lost recently. The number of unemployed grows every week. Lots of folks are in the same boat. I definitely know how you feel.

That having been said, here are some suggestions.
* Take a class! Any kind of a class is fine - even yoga, though of course you'll do better in a class designed to help you in your ambitions. Learning gives you something to do and stretches your brain. You also meet new people which is good for how you're feeling and also good for networking. You may be sick of school (I don't know), but getting out of the house and doing something productive is always helpful. Can you take certification classes? A foreign language? A software course? You need to focus your ambitions.
* Volunteer! Yeah, I know the pay stinks, but you'll be able to get better recommendations this way. Even if all you do is go to the animal shelter and clean cages, you can get a good recommendation of things like - you come in on time, you take direction well, you're a hard worker, etc. All this for cleaning out some dog poop.
* Look for something quick to tide you over. There's no shame in minimum wage employment. Can you type? Answer a phone with a pleasant, professional voice? You may be able to get yourself a temp clerical job. Again, this is a place to network and get better recommendations; it's also a way to try out some different fields. If you find you hate everything about banking, then you'll know it's not for you. Anyway, even in a bad economy, companies still have to fill maternity leaves and do special projects. Sign up with the biggest and best temporary agency in town and go there in person, every day, if you can. Go dressed and ready for work and show up early. Sometimes there is day work and even if there isn't, you're demonstrating that you're dedicated, hard-working and professional. Plus, any assignments, no matter how short, can go on your resume as experience.

In the meantime, keep sending out applications. Seven isn't a lot of applications. Several hundred is more like a lot. Keep plugging. It'll happen, but you need to help make it happen.

Best of luck to you.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 08:12 am
crikey, I thought safecracker was over 40
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 11:41 am
what can I say I'm not your average 19 year old lmao.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 12:28 pm
Quote:
Im an unemployed Loser

Good grief girl. You are setting yourself up for a self fulfilling prophecy. You may be unemployed, but you certainly are not a loser. As other people have said, the job market out there is a bit worse than awful.

When you go on an interview, do you put your best foot forward? Are you careful about the way you dress? Do you come across as an adult, or as a teenager? Do you speak intelligently to bosses, or do you revert to teenage language? I hired young people for many years, and I can't tell you how important are first impressions.

Some applicant would walk in the door looking sloppy, and I would immediately discount him. I would figure that if he did not take the time and trouble to be presentable at an interview, it would be downhill after he was hired.

Let me give you some pointers in getting a job:

Dress appropriately.

No chewing gum.

Show enthusiasm.

Focus your discussion on what YOU can do for the company, not the other way around. There is nothing more disheartening to a boss than to interview an inexperienced person whose sole interest seems to be what they can get out of the company.

Fill out your application completely and clearly. No boss wants to have to decipher someones chicken scratches.

Is there a teacher or clergy person who would be willing to give you a reference? Ask them to write a letter for you, and make a lot of copies. Parents do not count for references. Is there anyone in your home town, like your doctor, or someone who has a prestigious position, who would write a letter for you?

Keep on pluggin', and I know that if something good WILL happen. Good Luck!
0 Replies