The damn dishwasher died... advice on a new one appreciated

Doowop

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 01:33 pm
My neighbour has a Bosch, but she has to keep checking to see if it's working as it is so quiet. I plumbed it in for her and keep getting asked to go back there and have a look to see if it is doing what it should be doing.
I must admit, I had to listen right up close to see if it was going through its cycle.

So if you want quiet, go for a Bosch.
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 12:21 am
Got my washing machine 45 years ago.. it packed it in on the day I retired... all you guys sure have funny names for your partners, mine is called a wife... Very Happy
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 01:01 am
As an Electrician I have installed many dishwashers.

Generally they are all pretty similar within a given price-range so choose whatever brand you like, within the price range you want.

I am not a fan of high-end high-priced appliances because you pay too much for a lot of fancy electronics that can and do fail. Mid-range, mid-price and a popular brand is a good bet.

Although it's true that Consumer Reports likes Kenmore, and I have no problem with that, here in Canada the Kenmore line is pricier than the same unit under a different badge.

As far as North American brands, they are pretty much all made by only a few manufacturers, regardless of the brand name stuck on the front, so differences within a given price range are pretty superficial.

As far as European and Asian brands, there is a bit more difference; with Bosch being kind'a over-priced and the LG / Samsung somewhat lacking in service / support / parts compared to the big North American brands.

In any case I bought an LG front load washer and dryer over the Whirlpool equivalents. Both looked and acted very well but I am just a bit prejudiced against North American and European manufacturers as compared to Asian, due in good measure to superior Asian autos and Asian electronics.

I know one can argue the BMW 3 series, but one cannot argue VW because it's got a lot of good old Mexico in its lineage.

I have noticed that Filipinos are popular dishwashers in hotels.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 10:24 am
dadpad wrote:
Plus when she's up to her elbows in soap suds I can usually cop a feel without getting a whack.

A woman never feels sexier than when she's doing housework.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 06:44 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
The CR Best Buy (at $580) is #4, the 1373(2)[/b]

That's the one we finally ended up with. 20% off at a 4th of July sale at Sears.

We've been hand-washing all this time!

Quite the time-sink, will be nice to have a dishwasher again.

Thanks again for your help, everyone!
0 Replies