The damn dishwasher died... advice on a new one appreciated

sozobe

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 03:14 pm
It's been wonky since we moved in so it shouldn't be a surprise but it's annoying.

I'm doing some preliminary research now. Sears is looking good.

It's not an appliance I've ever bought before -- we've either not had one or it was part of the house when we arrived and when we left.

There's a staggering range of prices and I'm not sure what's worth what. I just want a dishwasher that you know washes dishes. Some sort of efficiency whatsit would be good.

The one I had is a 24-inch built-in, General Electric. Thing looks oooold... I'd guess it dates from the 80's or so.

Any advice appreciated... thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,422 • Replies: 44
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 03:25 pm
Kenmore...? Whirlpool...? General Electric?

Found this:

http://www.mysimon.com/Consumer-Reports-Dishwashers/4002-9375-5077288.html

(Consumer Reports is subscriber-only, annoying. Looks like it'd be about $6 to get access for a month.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 03:27 pm
No help from moi -

parents' house, no dishwasher;
first apartment, no dishwasher;
first house, stored potatoes and tinfoil in dishwasher;
rental house for a month, had a dishwasher, I was afraid of it;
rental house for five months, I stopped being afraid of the dishwasher;
my own house, no dishwasher;
now here in Abq, I have a dishwasher that must qualify as antique, an O'Keefe and Merritt. Only cleans the bottom rack with any effect. I assume it has clogged feed lines, what with the lack by the former owner of getting softened water.

I understand them only re big family/massive amounts of dishes, or maybe some high end item with a super conserving and efficient system.
Me, I'd rather have an extra little freezer in that space.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 03:28 pm
We've got a Maytag, about 9 years old. We use it on the average of twice a week (just hubby and me) and never had a bit of trouble. Cleans well.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 03:32 pm
I'm happy with my Kleenmaid.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 03:49 pm
I have a Kenmore I bought in 1996. I even throw my crystal in it. My only complaint is it is kinda noisy. I never thought it was until I went to other people's houses and they would have theirs running and no one could hear it. Would the noise be a problem for your family? It wouldn't for you would it?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 04:01 pm
eoe wrote:
We've got a Maytag, about 9 years old. We use it on the average of twice a week (just hubby and me) and never had a bit of trouble. Cleans well.

That's because the Maytag is an older model. If you have noticed, you don't see the ads any more about the Maytag service person having nothing to do. There is a reason for that. Maytag products have slid in the last few years in terms of reliability.

I would go with Kenmore. I have the Consumer Reports Buying Guide in front of me. Kenmores are numbers one, two, four, five and seven on CR's list! There is only one stinker, #27, and that is the one that costs $350-

The CR Best Buy (at $580) is #4, the 1373(2)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 04:03 pm
Noise is a problem. I'm deaf but my husband and daughter are hearing and we speak 99% of the time to communicate. (I lipread.) The old one was noisy -- we always had to move out of the kitchen when it was on to have a conversation.

Maytag, that's another one to consider, thanks.

We use the dishwasher every night. Just three of us but the dishes really add up. Three sets of dishes (and cups and silverware etc.) for every breakfast and dinner, plus my lunch stuff everyday, sozlet's on weekends and when she's home from school, and assorted meal-preparation stuff from between 1 and 3 meals that day. (Emptied containers of leftovers, pots, pans, measuring whatevers, knives, etc., etc.)

It's a luxury we've gotten used to and it wouldn't be the end of the world to give it up. Right now, though, I have been dealing with a sick kid since Saturday -- a sick kid with very little appetite who keeps taking two bites of items and proclaiming herself not hungry, so much is being presented to get her beyond a few bites' worth of food -- and yesterday's dishes are in the dishwasher, dirty, and everything else is about used up, and I'm whupped from 5 days of sick-kid-caretaking, and washing that towering mound of dishes is decidedly unappealing.

Not that I'm going to get a dishwasher bought and installed tonight.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 04:05 pm
Thanks, Phoenix!! Can you tell me more about the stinker? That's about the price range I'm looking at so far, (and I want to avoid it).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 04:09 pm
We got a Miele - should work for 20 years (at least that's the warrant on it :wink: )
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 04:09 pm
Soz- The only diswasher that CR listed as excellent in terms of noise is an Asko Encore which will run you $1,600, and an LG A $650-. The LG was not as good as the Kenmore in terms of washing, though (It got a very good)

I just noticed something. The #1 Kenmore, which is also a Best Buy @ $650, 1374(2) is very good in the noise department. The one that I mentioned earlier is average in terms of noise.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 04:12 pm
I'd look at Miele too...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 04:15 pm
Miele, noted. Expensive?

It doesn't have to be stupendous in terms of noise -- good to average is fine. Just, it's not NOT a problem because I'm deaf. It's a consideration.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 04:16 pm
The Kenmore #27 model 1359(2) washes well, but is worse than average in the noise department. It is average in energy use and loading flexability.

You might also want to look at a Whirlpool.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 04:18 pm
This brings up toilets (I'm energy/water conscious).. something in the news just yesterday about new design, 1.3 gallon toilets that are very efficient/effective/whole new design thing that makes them work well. Japanese company, Toto (? a name like that - we bought one in LA, though not this version), and one or two other companies..
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 04:22 pm
sozobe wrote:
Miele, noted. Expensive?

Yes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 04:23 pm
I suppose Miele is highish, but not sure how much so. (I'd rather get a new small freezer, or more shelves.)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 04:36 pm
we have a Hobart commercial. Its really HD and weve had it going fo 10 years with no repairs and an occasional cleaning and water treatment at the centriguge spinner. Its a real piece of iron and I wouldnt ever buy anything else. Thye make a home brand and its just as good I hear. They all will need new gasket seals about every 10 years. Theres no plastic or rubber made that can take high heat and pressure without replacements. The neat thing about the Hobart is that everything is easily checked and replaced if need be. Retsaurants use em in the states.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 04:50 pm
Sozbe,
I just bought a Kenmore dishwasher. It was around $650.00. It is low noise, stainless interior and has pot scrubbing jets on the lower level. The upper rack even adjusts in height. So far I love it but it's only been one month.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 05:14 pm
There is the Miele Advanta in the CR buying guide. It costs $1000, and is #20 on CR's list. It is only average in noise and ease of use.
0 Replies