Holocaust Denial, American Style

Zippo

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 01:07 pm

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad's flirtation with those who deny the reality of the Nazi genocide has rightly been met with disgust. But another holocaust denial is taking place with little notice: the holocaust in Iraq. The average American believes that 10,000 Iraqi civilians have been killed since the US invasion in March 2003. The most commonly cited figure in the media is 70,000. But the actual number of people who have been killed is most likely more than one million.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 551 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 10:59 am
Re: Holocaust Denial, American Style
Zippo wrote:

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad's flirtation with those who deny the reality of the Nazi genocide has rightly been met with disgust. But another holocaust denial is taking place with little notice: the holocaust in Iraq. The average American believes that 10,000 Iraqi civilians have been killed since the US invasion in March 2003. The most commonly cited figure in the media is 70,000. But the actual number of people who have been killed is most likely more than one million.

Regardless of the correct number of Iraqi civilian casualities, when that number would be disseminated, I don't believe anyone will deny it, or its occurrence. No one is denying or denying the occurrence of the currently thought lower number. There is no denial.

This is not holocaust denial. Those who feel for Iraqi casualties feel for them, regardless of the current number, or any future disseminated number.

You might be misconstruing incorrect counting with denial. I hear no one denying any number.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 05:01 pm
"It was wonderful to find America,
but
it would have been more wonderful to miss it.
-------------------------------------------------- Mark Twain--------------
0 Replies

anton

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 09:13 pm
Foofie wrote:
Zippo wrote:

Regardless of the correct number of Iraqi civilian casualities, when that number would be disseminated, I don't believe anyone will deny it, or its occurrence. No one is denying or denying the occurrence of the currently thought lower number. There is no denial.

This is not holocaust denial. Those who feel for Iraqi casualties feel for them, regardless of the current number, or any future disseminated number.

You might be misconstruing incorrect counting with denial. I hear no one denying any number.

I see the reason for the post as a wake-up to what the US Government is guilty of.
Perhaps American's would be better served if the citizens accepted what what their leaders have done and strive to bring them to justice at the International Court in the Hague?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 10:42 pm
anton wrote:
Foofie wrote:
Zippo wrote:

I see the reason for the post as a wake-up to what the US Government is guilty of.
Perhaps American's would be better served if the citizens accepted what what their leaders have done and strive to bring them to justice at the International Court in the Hague?

Why an international court? How about the Inter-Galactic Court for Inter-Planetary Disputes. Wouldn't that court make more sense, considering the U.S. is involved, and not some nondescript country? Let's be real. The U.S. was effecting what the world body of nations wanted.
0 Replies

anton

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 01:19 am
Foofie wrote:
anton wrote:
Foofie wrote:
Zippo wrote:

Why an international court? How about the Inter-Galactic Court for Inter-Planetary Disputes. Wouldn't that court make more sense, considering the U.S. is involved, and not some nondescript country? Let's be real. The U.S. was effecting what the world body of nations wanted.

I think you should get out in the world to understand what they think of the US ... The reputation of United States of America is in tatters and all because, led by a fool they invaded the sovereign state of Iraq.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:09 pm
Ohhh, ohhh (for those that remember the sitcom, "Car 54 Where Are You," the exclamation was said like Tootie would have said, Muldoon's squad car partner), that's very disheartening that the world doesn't like the U.S. How much of that dislike is envy and jealousy?
0 Replies

anton

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 03:45 am
Foofie wrote:
Ohhh, ohhh (for those that remember the sitcom, "Car 54 Where Are You," the exclamation was said like Tootie would have said, Muldoon's squad car partner), that's very disheartening that the world doesn't like the U.S. How much of that dislike is envy and jealousy?

Jealous of what, a country with the largest prison population in the world, a country that executes between 60/70 people a year, a country whose government spies on its own citizens, a country that claims to be democratic yet has an unconstitutional Patriot Act and invokes a totally bizarre States Secrets Privilege when it wants to hide something from its citizens; the trouble with America is that it believes its own fiction?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 04:23 am
anton wrote:
Foofie wrote:

Jealous of what, a country with the largest prison population in the world, a country that executes between 60/70 people a year, a country whose government spies on its own citizens, a country that claims to be democratic yet has an unconstitutional Patriot Act and invokes a totally bizarre States Secrets Privilege when it wants to hide something from its citizens; the trouble with America is that it believes its own fiction?

How about jealousy of a country that while being very young (compared to many other countries) has since the dawn of the 20th century, put a man on the moon,produced enough food to feed itself and the rest of the world, led the way in many medical advances,invented the airplane, used its military might to twice save the world from dictators (and no I am not discounting what our allies did in either world war), provided emergency supplies and disaster relief to anyone that needed it (including our enemies), etc.

Yes, I know that this country has made alot of mistakes in that same time period, but this country is 231 years old and has done more for the world then have countries many hundreds of years older.

Why is that?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 04:41 am
mysteryman wrote:
anton wrote:
Foofie wrote:

How about jealousy of a country that while being very young (compared to many other countries) has since the dawn of the 20th century, put a man on the moon,produced enough food to feed itself and the rest of the world, led the way in many medical advances,invented the airplane, used its military might to twice save the world from dictators (and no I am not discounting what our allies did in either world war), provided emergency supplies and disaster relief to anyone that needed it (including our enemies), etc.

Yes, I know that this country has made alot of mistakes in that same time period, but this country is 231 years old and has done more for the world then have countries many hundreds of years older.

Why is that?
Liberals
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 07:55 am
foofie wrote
Quote:
Let's be real. The U.S. was effecting what the world body of nations wanted.

How do people manage to become this foolish or miseducated?

Your claim is false. It is false whether you are using 'nations' to mean national governments or the popuations within those nations.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 08:43 pm
anton wrote:
Foofie wrote:

Since you asked ("Jealous of what..."), perhaps, jealous of the wealth of the nation; and jealous of the military strength of the nation; and jealous of the culture that the world (especially the young) seem to adopt; and jealous of the people that managed to become U.S. citizens and live in a country that allows anyone, capable to participate in the society and economy, to achieve as far as their abilities takes them; and jealous of the abundance of wholesome food; and jealous of the abundance of medical facilities and doctors (and dentists especially); and jealous of the schools that often give children free breakfasts and lunch; and jealous of the many colleges and universities; and jealous of the numerous cities with thriving cultural activities; and jealous of the diversity of people from all backgrounds and religions that find a comfortable niche to live in a 3,000 mile wide country; and jealous of the freedom to live in any state of the Union; and jealous of the different climates (some people can only "dream" of a white Christmas); and jealous of the English language, spoken in the U.S., that has eclipsed other languages for practical use throughout the world; and jealous for the fact that many country's talented people come to the U.S. as soon as they are able; and jealous for the fact they have no other way to cope with their feelings but be jealous, since their own country's news will always be on the back pages of the many world capital newspapers.

Oh yes, I forgot, perhaps jealous that the U.S. was the only country that had citizens walk on the moon. Not an easy feat.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 08:53 pm
most of the things you describe are true about a number of countries.

some of the things you describe makes absolutely no sense to covet.

Wherever I have traveled in the past few years, people were more and more resentful of the U.S. People only open up after I tell them repeatedly I am a European citizen. And this first hand experience was unfortunately repeated in a number of countries. Jealousy? Hardly. Try resentment.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 09:16 pm
Foofie wrote:
The U.S. was effecting what the world body of nations wanted.

You couldn't be more wrong.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 09:22 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
most of the things you describe are true about a number of countries.

some of the things you describe makes absolutely no sense to covet.

Wherever I have traveled in the past few years, people were more and more resentful of the U.S. People only open up after I tell them repeatedly I am a European citizen. And this first hand experience was unfortunately repeated in a number of countries. Jealousy? Hardly. Try resentment.

Quite right, except jealousy and resentment are sister emotions.

Jealously and resentment, I believe, are the driving emotions behind much anti-Semitism. You know, the old resentment that for the comparitively few Jews in the U.S., they have such a disproportionate amount of political influence. Or, resentment/jealousy that they have money, education, etc., etc. Or, resentment/jealousy that they think they are so smart, etc., etc.

Sure, many people are jealous and resentful that the U.S. has more than their respective country.

Perhaps, I discovered an interesting metaphor? America as the Jewish pariah? This may really be a truth I hit on, since along with anti-Semitism goes Judeophobia ("what is the Jew up to?"). This too is the world's question, "What will the U.S. do?"

In fact, without Jews in Europe to feed the atavistic nature of some Europeans, America can now be a hated surrogate Jew. Very interesting!

Thank you for the insight.
0 Replies