adult nudity and 7 yr old

marman

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 11:26 pm
At what age is it inappropriate for a girl to shower with her father?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,155 • Replies: 18
No top replies

contrex

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 12:43 am
Any age is "too old". If she is old enough to use a shower she is too old to shower with an adult male. I wonder if you are maybe a little bit of a sicko?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 12:48 am
Re: adult nudity and 7 yr old
marman wrote:
At what age is it inappropriate for a girl to shower with her father?

Assuming she is not being molested or inappropriately dealt with the right age is when she expresses no desire to do so.

If you have a concern you should express this to your partner. Right thinking men will recognise this concern and act appropriatly.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 04:04 am
Maybe I jumped to conclusions about the motivation behind the original post. If so, I apologise. There are men who get gratification from starting discussions about a topic like this, or who enter existing threads, often posing as concerned parents or relatives. That, and the suspicion it can cause, is hardly helpful to any people who are genuinely anxious about the issues raised.

I would consider the following points to be worthy of consideration:

- In many societies, mixed-sex bathing where the child is older than a large baby or toddler is either inappropriate or bordering on it, and may be viewed as such by child protection agencies, especially if other pointers are raising concerns.

- Seven years of age is about the earliest that puberty can start in a girl. The normal range is roughly seven to fifteen. Children approaching puberty are becoming physically adult, and need to learn how to be in control of their own bodies. They should be afforded a certain amount of privacy and be shown how to maintain this, and this is part of the standard of care a good parent should be showing.

- They should have their backs to each other in such an enclosed space. Delicacy prevents me from elaborating further. This is the most troubling feature of the situation from my point of view. But maybe I'm a prude or have a dirty mind. "To the pure, all is pure", people say, but still...

If the person who raised this question has done so out of a feeling of concern, and if that person has other linked concerns, then possibly professional help should be sought.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 04:23 am
I was showering with my ?3? year old daughter ( i dont actually remember how old she was) and she went for the tarzan swing. I mean the real yank and swing Bit of a shock that was!

I just told her That I didnt touch her bottom so she shouldnt touch my bits and besides it hurt. Wife thought it was hilarious.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 04:37 am
I think that may have happened to many fathers. I'm serious here, when I say, you'd have to be VERY careful who you told that to in Britain these days.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 05:38 am
When I was younger, around 10 years I can recall feeling very uneasy about my godparents, especially the male, joining me in the bathroom while I had a bath(we made bubbles with soapy hands, I still do it 22 years on).
Took me a long time to realise why I felt uneasy, I realised it was because my body was changing.Somehow I must have told my parents so they didnt join me after that.

Id say around the age of 7-8 they should bathe/shower on their own but not lock the bathroom door for safety.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 06:46 am
I was not exaggerating about how things are in the Uk around the topic of inappropriate adult-child contact. About 10 years ago in Britain, a well known female TV newsreader was arrested after she and her husband had photographed their 7 year old daughter in the bath. This was before digital camers were in widespread use. An employee of the processing lab called the police after deciding the photos, which included shots of the child supposedly making a "brassiere" of soap bubbles, were sexual in nature. No charges were made, however.

I personally feel that it is better if some adults face embarrassment if children are protected.
0 Replies

marman

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 09:41 am
7 year old showering with father
are there any professionals who have expert knowledge on this, a phycologist perhaps?
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 10:18 am
what you want is a book written by an expert. i'm sure that spock will answer this one.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 10:27 am
Personally, I think that's too old.

When the child can bath on their own and know the difference between mommy and daddy, it's time to stop bathing together. At that age, children begin to change and may have uneasy feelings about it but are afraid to express those feelings. I'd have freaked if I had to see my dad's weiner at age 7. Toddler age, sure...babies don't really care and don't know any better and they cannot safely bath alone.

I think that even the same sex parent should stop bathing with the child at that age.

Children need to learn that their parts are private and while nothing to be ashamed of are for their eyes (and hands) only. Including mommy and daddy unless it's absolutely necessary (injury or sickness or other parent related issue).

But that's just my opinion.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 10:45 am
Bella Dea wrote:
I'd have freaked if I had to see my dad's weiner at age 7.

Well there you go. Let alone have to see it at close quarters in the shower.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 10:46 am
Re: 7 year old showering with father
marman wrote:
are there any professionals who have expert knowledge on this, a phycologist perhaps?

Listen to yourself! Honey, you'll be seeing one whole bunch of professional "experts" one day soon if you don't stop him doing this. Just my 2c worth.

The experts say stop him before Children's Services take the gal away. OK? That simple enough for you?
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 10:54 am
My parents were a couple o' hippies, so I can recall seeing parental nudity fairly commonly-- not like parading around the house or anything, but just "it's not a big deal if you see me getting out of the shower." I don't remember things from when I was much younger than six or so, so I think probably up until about six or seven. It didn't, and doesn't, freak me out, but it definitely would seem weird if there had been actual bathing together-- it just seems like too close of quarters.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 11:23 am
marman, any context?

My immediate answer is a lot like cyphercat's, but I can see context shoving my response in a few different directions, depending on what that context is.
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 01:18 pm
This may sound truly obtuse, but WHY would a father and daughter shower together? Is there a water shortage? If a child is old enough to stand up in the shower and adjust the temperature of the water, shouldn't he or she be given some time alone under the spray, to think, to sing? One is never too young for a bit of privacy

On the related topic of kid's being uncomfortable with nudity, I think WAY back to my childhood (over 60 years ago) and note that I never thought twice about physical differences when I was young, because all of my friends of both sexes swam nude, as a matter of course. Parents were present, of course, to make sure no one drowned, but no one ever mentioned the lack of clothing. It was a given that touching a fellow bather inappropriately was absolutely not done; I never remember its happening. Personal comments about another kid's body were also verboten. My parents and grandparents swam similarly as children (and as my older grandmother was born in 1873, in the middle of Victorian times, such bathing must not have been an issue). This may seem very old-fashioned (or, possibly, bent) to younger adults today, but this was the way kids swam. And our kids swam this way, again watched over by parents. I'm quite certain that some developmental expert can come up with arguments against this practice, but I also remember the agonies of curiosity some of my teenage classmates endured, wondering just what the opposite sex's natural equipment looked like. I was quietly glad to have had this seemingly-compulsive (and sometimes creepy) waste of time completely obviated by my childhood swimming. Of course, these days, structural curiosity draws many kids to the internet, where, alas, they discover a lot more than they they bargained for--along with very deeply disturbing attitudes towards women.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 01:42 pm
Jillian showers with her dad.

I shower with her

She bathes with either of us if she wants to.
And I think it can stay that way until she says other wise.

For her and I it is game time. We have colored soaps and we write on the walls, on each other, on her toys. .. you name it.
It is time when everything else is out of the question except her time with mama/daddy

I have never thought that it would be considered wrong..
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 02:10 pm
Bean is a baby yet.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 02:17 pm
Well, I don't think it's appropriate at that age but then I'm a prude so what can I say?

I don't think taking pictures is bad, though... that story on page 1 here was stupid. Well, not the story, but the whole reporting thing. We're getting way too ridiculous about all this stuff entirely.

I have the cutest picture of my daughter at age 9 and my son at age 3 bathing together. She's covering up her boobies and laughing and he did the same - funny thing was his little pecker was showing Very Happy Very funny.
0 Replies