• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 450 • Replies: 5
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 01:51 pm
Quote:

The USA seems like a distinctly unattractive place to visit when you hear about things like that happening. Even if you know you won't be likely to commit those infractions, you don't want to visit a society where such things are allowed to happen routinely. Where contempt for, and ignorance of the outside world is actually admired and considered patriotic. Where Sikhs got shot for being "towelheads" after 9-11, and where a British Sikh family (Dad, Mum, small and medium kids) were removed in shackles from an NY tour bus because a passenger felt "threatened" by them and called the cops. Those "white Britons with names like Smith and Jones" (Why bring their colour and name into it, incidentally?) are, by and large, proud of their multicultural society, and are horrified to hear about such things.

As for the entry procedures, we get the impression that they don't really want us all that much!

I was at the London Eurostar terminal once, having just got off a train from Paris, where I heard an American moaning to his companions about how there was one queue (line) for UK and EU citizens to enter the UK, and another for everybody else (including him and his family). "We saved their asses from the Germans!" etc etc. A lot of people heard him, including a German guy who winked at me. I wanted to ask him about the lines at JFK, but my EU line was moving so fast that he dwindled rapidly into the distance...
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 02:04 pm
I had no trouble last year at Newark, New Jersey airport. I was whisked straight through in 20 seconds.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 05:18 pm
Contrex
Thanks for your contribution.
McTag
Be glad that you had not endured those ordeal like others.
The fact is this.
USA's regulations in the name of security chase the tourists away.
If I am wrong i stand for correction please.
Thank you both
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 07:45 pm
Then there is of course, tourists getting jailed for making stupid bomb jokes while passing through security.

Stupid, yes, but jailable? (the one I recall, was imprisoned for 6 months).
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 02:08 pm
0 Replies