Mo goes to the dentist (and mom has some questions).

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 10:45 am
I had LOTS of teeth problems as a child and not once did they gas me. I cried, yes and my mom died a little every time she had to hold me down but they just put numbing cream on my gums and shot me up with Novacane. Sad

As for the baby teeth, I ended up having to have 8 (yes count em, 8) of mine pulled because they got so bad. I'd have them filled just to be safe and to make sure they don't cause problems down the road.

Don't know a thing about the insurance issue but wish you luck.
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 11:31 am
When I was in school we had a floride rinse we did once a month in school. A school nurse would distribute small paper cups of floride and have everyone in the class swish for a full minute then spit the floride back into their cup which was disposed of in a proper receptable.

I wonder if that's what the school was offering Mo and have since stopped giving to the children since there is bottled water out there now that has floride...?

Anyway, I agree with others and that fillings are probably necessary to ensure there is no further damage. I've never had to be put under the gas and am wondering if simple novacain isn't a better choice if Mo can sit still for the small time they would complete the fillings.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 12:12 pm
Do you have dentists in your local (city/county) health department?

(Here, they visit kindergardens and primaty schoold frequently).
If 'yes', they certainly can give some neutral advice, too.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 12:59 pm
living across from watertwon , ny , we watch a fair number of their TV-stations .
i've noticed a dentist in watertown advertising that he exclusively practices under the SCHIP plan .
while i'm not sure exactly how it works , i did find this link :
SHIP DENTAL PLAN FOR CHILDREN
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 03:03 pm
Another way to save some money on dentistry is to find an office that is still using paper files and developing x-ray film, rather than doing everything electronically on computers. It can make a huge difference in costs.

For example, about 5 years ago I had a tooth abscess and needed a prescription, x-rays and referred extraction. Total cost in a computer-free office was about $200 including the prescription and extraction.

A couple months ago, another tooth developed an abscess (I need to have crowns replaced and can't afford it so my teeth are starting to fall apart.) It cost nearly $200 just for the prescription and computerized x-ray and a referral to another dentist for the extraction, which would cost another $600. Needless to say, I still have the tooth and just take lots of aspirin and keep the gums clean to keep the abscess from recurring until I can afford a dentist.

I'll never be able to afford today's computerized dentistry prices, even with dental insurance coverage.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 01:38 pm
By pure chance, I just found this on the UK national statistic websites:

Quote:
The proportion of 5-year-olds reported to have never visited the
dentist decreased from 14 per cent in 1983 to 10 per cent in 1993
to 6 per cent in 2003.

So I tried to find out the data for Germany ...
Here, there are three general examinations "mandatory" for the children (similar to the twelve at 'normal' doctors), starting at the age of three.
(So I guess, we get the same percentage as in England, perhaps a bit better.) - As said above, children pay nothing at dentists up to the age of 18 (that's included in the mandatory insurance of their parents).
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 01:51 pm
Quote:
Here, there are three general examinations "mandatory" for the children (similar to the twelve at 'normal' doctors), starting at the age of three.

canada is the land of the free when it comes to children's teeth Shocked
you are free to let your children's teeth rot !
there is a limited amount of dental care for those on social assistance , but most canadians are on the "pay-as-you-go" system (or should i say : go-when-it-hurts system - OUCH !)
we are lucky in having a good dental insurance through my former employer - 80% reimbursement for most work - , but many employees working for small companies do not have dental insurance .
also many companies stop paying for their retirees dental expenses - good thing i worked for an insurance company Very Happy
hbg
0 Replies