John Paul II. and Ron paul

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 06:28 pm
Before the US House of Representatives, April 6, 2005.

Mr. Speaker, I am pleased to join my colleagues in paying tribute to the life and legacy of Pope John Paul II. Pope John Paul II was one of the great religious leaders of modern times, and an eloquent champion of human freedom and dignity. Unlike all-too-many misguided religious leaders, the Pope understood that liberty, both personal and economic, is a necessary condition for the flourishing of human virtue.

The Pope's commitment to human dignity, grounded in the teachings of Christ, led him to become one of the most eloquent spokesmen for the consistent ethic of life, exemplified by his struggles against abortion, war, euthanasia, and the death penalty.

Unfortunately, few in American politics today adhere to the consistent ethic of life, thus we see some who cheered the Pope's stand against the war and the death penalty while downplaying or even openly defying his teachings against abortion and euthanasia.

Others who cheered the Pope's opposition to abortion and euthanasia were puzzled or hostile to his opposition to war. Many of these "pro-life supporters of war" tried to avoid facing the inherent contradictions in their position by distorting the Just War doctrine, which the Pope properly interpreted as denying sanction to the Iraq war. One prominent conservative commentator even suggested that the pope was the "enemy" of the United States.

In conclusion, I am pleased to pay tribute to Pope John Paul II. I would encourage those who wish to honor his memory to reflect on his teachings regarding war and the sanctity of life, and consider the inconsistencies in claiming to be pro-life but supporting the senseless killing of innocent people that inevitably accompanies militarism, or in claiming to be pro-peace and pro-compassion but supporting the legal killing of the unborn.
http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul242.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,232 • Replies: 21
No top replies

spendius

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 06:59 pm
That's me for Ron.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 07:24 pm
He
never votes to raise taxes,
votes to secure our borders,
voted against the Patriot Act,
votes to protect civil liberties,
never voted for the Iraq War,
votes against the welfare state,
votes to end the war on drugs,
votes to lower healthcare costs,
votes against the United Nations,
votes to cut government spending,
votes against regulating the Internet,
voted against NAFTA and CAFTA,
never took a government-paid junket,
never voted for an unbalanced budget,
never voted to raise congressional pay,
votes against reinstating a military draft,
never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership, and
he never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.

American political system is rotten to the core.
I feel pity for those who endure this ordeal .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 07:38 pm
I suppose you aren't kidding..
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 09:25 am
That "never" is a problem Rama. You could be read both ways.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 05:11 pm
Sorry I am not kidding.

My posts are critical but based on reliable information after checks and counter checks.

"What can you get for a trillion bucks? Or make that $1.6 trillion, if you take the cost of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars as tallied by the majority staff of Congress's Joint Economic Committee (JEC). Or is it the $3.5-trillion figure cited by Ron Paul, whose concern about the true cost of this war for ordinary Americans shames the leading Democrats, who prattle on about needed domestic programs that will never find funding because of future war-related government debt?

Given that the overall defense budget is now double what it was when President Bush's father presided over the end of the cold war--even though we don't have a militarily sophisticated enemy in sight--you have to wonder how this president has managed to exceed cold war spending levels. What has he gotten for the trillions wasted? Nothing, when it comes to capturing Osama bin Laden, bringing democracy to Iraq or preventing oil prices from tripling and enriching the ayatollahs of Iran while messing up the American economy.

That money could have paid for a lot of things we could have used here at home. As Rep. Paul points out, for what the Iraq war costs, we could present each family of four a check for $46,000--which exceeds the $43,000 median household income in his Texas district. He asks: "What about the impact of those costs on education, the very thing that so often helps to increase earnings? Forty-six thousand dollars would cover 90 percent of the tuition costs to attend a four-year public university in Texas for both children in that family of four. But, instead of sending kids to college, too often we're sending them to Iraq, where the best news in a long time is they [the insurgents] aren't killing our men and women as fast as they were last month."

How damning that it takes a libertarian Republican to remind the leading Democratic candidates of the opportunity costs of a war that most Democrats in Congress voted for. But they don't need to take Paul's word for it; last week, the majority staff of the Joint Economic Committee in Congress came up with similarly startling estimates of the long-term costs of this war.

The White House has quibbled over the methods employed by the JEC to calculate the real costs of our two foreign wars, because the Democrats in the majority dared to include in their calculations the long-term care of wounded soldiers and the interest to be paid on the debt financing the war. Of course, you need to account for the additional debt run up by an administration that, instead of raising taxes to pay for the war, cut them by relying on the Chinese Communists and other foreigners who hold so much of our debt. As concluded by the JEC report, compiled by the committee's professional staff, "almost 10 percent of total federal government interest payments in 2008 will consist of payments on the Iraq debt accumulated so far."

However, even if you take the hard figure of the $804 billion the administration demanded for the past five years, and ignore all the long-run costs like debt service, we're still not talking chump change here. For example, Bush has asked for an additional $196 billion in supplementary aid for his wars, which is $60 billion more than the total spent by the US government last year on all of America's infrastructure repairs, the National Institutes of Health, college tuition assistance and the SCHIP program to provide health insurance to kids who don't have any.

On this matter of covering the uninsured, it should be pointed out to those who say we (alone among industrialized nations) can't afford it that we could have covered all 47 million uninsured Americans over the past six years for what the Iraq war cost us. How come that choice--war in Iraq or full medical coverage for all Americans--was never presented to the American people by the Democrats and Republicans who voted for this war and continue to finance it?

Those now celebrating the supposed success of the surge might note that, as the JEC report points out, "[m]aintaining post-surge troop levels in Iraq over the next ten years would result in costs of $4.5 trillion." Until the leading Democratic candidate faces up to the irreparable harm that will be done to needed social programs over the next decades by the red-ink spending she supported, I will be cheering for the libertarian Republican. At least he won't throw more money down some foreign rat hole.
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article18766.htm
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 06:18 pm
Imagine that much money being thrown down the domestic rat hole Rama.

You'll either be in Soft Furnishings or at home admiring the wisdom of the purchase. Or asleep of course.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 08:11 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
He
never votes to raise taxes,
votes to secure our borders,
voted against the Patriot Act,
votes to protect civil liberties,
never voted for the Iraq War,
votes against the welfare state,
votes to end the war on drugs,
votes to lower healthcare costs,
votes against the United Nations,
votes to cut government spending,
votes against regulating the Internet,
voted against NAFTA and CAFTA,
never took a government-paid junket,
never voted for an unbalanced budget,
never voted to raise congressional pay,
votes against reinstating a military draft,
never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership, and
he never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.

American political system is rotten to the core.
I feel pity for those who endure this ordeal .

I like Ron Paul. If this were the stance of the Republican party I would probably switch over.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 03:27 pm
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 03:49 pm
Blueflame
Thanks for the news which has escaped my critical eyes.

As a non-American with Gandhian views and Karl marxian justice I had taken Ron as the subject of this thread.
Ihope and i wisH that American electorates pick up a successor - an avid anti war.
Here is an advertisement in today's paper about Ron - the consummate anti war non-person
The Ron Paul Page -- Biography and 2008 Campaign
Print and distribute Ron Paul Flyers
Ron Paul Video at NewsWatch.org
Books by Ron Paul

Ron Paul Advertisement - Full Page in USA Today 11-21-07

Bigeye.com and Newswatch.org are not authorized by any political group or campaign.

http://www.bigeye.com/usatoday112107ad.htm
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 04:36 pm
Rama, this too is interesting. An unlikely happening but it would make for an extended debate during the campaign. "Elizabeth Kucinich: My Husband Would Absolutely Consider Running With Ron Paul"

You Tube
Saturday November 24, 2007

Watch Elizabeth Kucinich discuss the possibility of her husband, Dennis, running alongside GOP Candidate Ron Paul. She also says the 9/11 investigation should be reopened because there are "so many unanswered questions".
video
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 04:47 pm
Blueflame
Thanks for the link. I had watched twice.
Elizabeth had earned my respect .
But USA is still far far underdeveloped to uphold
the DREAMS OF AMERICANS.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 04:55 pm
Elizabeth says fear holds back real 911 investigations. She seems to have no fear herself.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 04:58 pm
Decent people like elizabeth have no reason to fear for anything.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 04:16 pm
As a global communist i am of the opinion that Ron is better than the counterpart.

Unfortunately we all are blind to see the reality
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 04:30 pm
John Paul is a sales representative while
Ron Paul is an American with famil and friends.
My Christmas greetings to Ron Paul .
The president of Vatican John Paul
who is also a person like you and me deserve my sympathy but not the happy christmas greetings.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 04:35 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
He . . .

votes to secure our[/size][/u] borders,

As Rama-lama-ding-dong here is not an American, i can only assume that this is a copy and paste job, which he hadn't sufficient honesty to acknowledge.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 04:41 pm
Setanta
"As Rama-lama-ding-dong here is not an American, i can only assume that this is a copy and paste job, which he hadn't sufficient honesty to acknowledge.
Dalai Lama will be there where you live.

Better put some relevant cut and paste than this drivelling , gibbering jabering nonsese.
Care to read my profile and keep your views about me.
My name is Rama Fuchs
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 04:46 pm
Ah, just as incoherent as always.

You have the money and time to operate a computer online, which puts you among an elite few in the world, out of the more than six billion. Yet you piss and moan and whine about the evil United States, the evil Americans, the evil Capitalist . . . lucky for you you don't find yourself in a "third world" slum at nightfall, when all of your self-serving, self-righteous and pious rhetoric wouldn't save you from the beating you doubtlessly richly deserve.

I do find it hilarious that you seem to think that a copy and paste job is somehow more virtuous than expressing one's own thoughts. Of course, considering how poorly you express your thoughts, that may have been obviated.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 05:04 pm
Nasty "cut and paste "
and
holy individual intellectual views.
I have enough and I wish not that all should endure the same like me.
look forward and await for the inevitable hour
0 Replies